Rabo pro 12 final 2014

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rabo pro 12 final 2014

Post by footrush »

TerenureJim wrote:And yet people will still argue that an event like this should not not be moved to Lansdowne Rd...... :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
If we never play another game there again it will be too soon. :) Can't stand the atmosphere in the place, love the RDS its perfect for us and has all the services and atmosphere we can be really proud of, lets leave the commercial rip off business to Saracens, if we had of played Northampton in our own ground we might be in another final this wkend I know its speculation just can't help feeling that.
Last edited by footrush on May 23rd, 2014, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flying wedge
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:And yet people will still argue that an event like this should not not be moved to Lansdowne Rd...... :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
And they'd be quite right. All you know is that, what, a dozen or maybe 20 people didn't get tickets, so on that basis of that you think that we should play a home final in the aviva with 18.520 people there.

Lets take it up a level, even if 10,000 people tried and failed to get tickets, you think we should play our home Pro12 final in a half empty stadium?
It's a very fair point you make Dave, but I'd counter with wouldn't you rather 28K Leinster fans were able to go to the final and see their team as opposed to 18K? Honestly who cares about the aesthetics about empty seats, we're not talking Edinburgh in Murrayfield here there would be a good crowd.

This one was potentially an easy(ish) sell to get a big crowd BOD last ever (ever, ever, I promise ever) appearance/send off, and the team hopefully to put in a good show in a match between the two best sides in the league with a trophy on the line.

There's no reason also if it was in Lansdowne that you couldn't have encouraged a load of extra mini rugby enthusiasts from clubs/schools with hour of power €10 ticket sales etc.

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been challenging to sell out Lansdowne but I think you could have gotten close to 40K in the door, especially given we've had no Euro Semi & Final expenses for the first time since 2008.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

footrush wrote:
If we never play another game there again it will be too soon. :) Can't stand the atmosphere in the place, love the RDS its perfect for us and has all the services and atmosphere too welcome visitors, lets leave the commercial rip off business to Saracens.
Hope you're on a wind up as moving to a bigger stadium can allow for lower prices per seat in many instances, its also a professional sport raises funds for the IRFU and by extension Leinster which allows us to keep the likes of SOB, Heaslip, POC etc. etc.

Would people prefer we went back to '06/07 and played games in Donnybrook so that only the ultra, ultra supporters could attend.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Look am off to Cardiff in a few minutes and am just expressing my personal opinion don't expect anyone to have to agree with it and I totally respect your point of view.My gripes about the new Lansdowne are (1) Having to take a tour of Dublin with my pensioner Da to get to Bath Avenue. (2) The fact there is no choice about refreshments, (3) We have to pay the IRFU to use it, (4) most of the front covered seats are in the rain, (4) The RDS has a unique charm (5) The tigers stick to Welford Rd for similar reason its the season ticketholders, Blues members etc that provide stability for the club . Its my own personal opinion no one else has to accept it. Aesthetics are important to me and the RDS is one of the most charming and unique grounds in Europe.
Last edited by footrush on May 23rd, 2014, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying wedge
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

footrush wrote:Look am off to Cardiff in a few minutes and am just expressing my personal opinion don't expect anyone to have to agree with it and I totally respect your point of view.My gripes about the new Lansdowne are (1) Having to take a tour of Dublin with my pensioner Da to get to Bath Avenue. (2) The fact there is no choice about refreshments, (3) We have to pay the IRFU to use it, (4) most of the front covered seats are in the rain, (4) The RDS has a unique charm etc etc etc. Its my own personal opinion no one else has to accept it.
Apparently a lot less that we have to pay to use the RDS.....

We were never going to move it once Munster lost the semi to Glasgow though.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

johng wrote:
footrush wrote:Look am off to Cardiff in a few minutes and am just expressing my personal opinion don't expect anyone to have to agree with it and I totally respect your point of view.My gripes about the new Lansdowne are (1) Having to take a tour of Dublin with my pensioner Da to get to Bath Avenue. (2) The fact there is no choice about refreshments, (3) We have to pay the IRFU to use it, (4) most of the front covered seats are in the rain, (4) The RDS has a unique charm etc etc etc. Its my own personal opinion no one else has to accept it.
Apparently a lot less that we have to pay to use the RDS.....

We were never going to move it once Munster lost the semi to Glasgow though.
Fair enough ditch point (3) still can't stand the new Lansdowne however.
Flying wedge
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

footrush wrote:My gripes about the new Lansdowne are (1) Having to take a tour of Dublin with my pensioner Da to get to Bath Avenue. (2) The fact there is no choice about refreshments, (3) We have to pay the IRFU to use it, (4) most of the front covered seats are in the rain, (4) The RDS has a unique charm, the RDS is one of the most charming and unique grounds in Europe.
In total agreement with you on those points, although on point 3 the IRFU and Leinster are one and the same the more money they make the more money that's there for Leinster. When Leinster rent it they are effectively paying themselves in an odd sort of way, as opposed to renting the RDS which isn't owned/operated by IRFU or Leinster.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

On point 1. Don't buy seats that you need to enter via bath Ave for. I am in the same boat re bath Ave and sth tickets. But you can get them moved back over the halfway line so you don't need to go bath Ave.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
It's a very fair point you make Dave, but I'd counter with wouldn't you rather 28K Leinster fans were able to go to the final and see their team as opposed to 18K? Honestly who cares about the aesthetics about empty seats, we're not talking Edinburgh in Murrayfield here there would be a good crowd.

This one was potentially an easy(ish) sell to get a big crowd BOD last ever (ever, ever, I promise ever) appearance/send off, and the team hopefully to put in a good show in a match between the two best sides in the league with a trophy on the line.

There's no reason also if it was in Lansdowne that you couldn't have encouraged a load of extra mini rugby enthusiasts from clubs/schools with hour of power €10 ticket sales etc.

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been challenging to sell out Lansdowne but I think you could have gotten close to 40K in the door, especially given we've had no Euro Semi & Final expenses for the first time since 2008.
I'd far rather Leinster won that have a comeallye. A full stadium favours the home team, empty ones favour the away side. Anyway, STHs and Blues members all the opportunity to buy multiple tickets.

Its not an easy sell, you have to sell over 30K more tickets than you previously had to, with no media support (you can't just organise a TV, Radio and Press campaign on a monday morning and have it ready to go next day). You can't do hour of power or get free minis in a) because its a Pro12 run game and b) because any offer one side can make, the other side must also be able to make and we're not going to swallow that cost.

Its also not an easy sell, because despite what you say about BODs final game, Glasgow are not a draw outside of people who know just how good they are, and thats pretty much only the regular supporters of Pro12 rugby and I'd say they've all the tickets they need. This is the first time we've ever sold out a game against them since we moved to the RDS as far as I can remember, and that includes semi finals and HEC matches
I have Bumbleflex
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

johng wrote:On point 1. Don't buy seats that you need to enter via bath Ave for. I am in the same boat re bath Ave and sth tickets. But you can get them moved back over the halfway line so you don't need to go bath Ave.
True just missed the window to do this for the last Munster game, need to let go of it. The defeats to USAP in the semi years ago and the one to Saints reciently have left me a bit biased about the ground.
Flying wedge
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

I don't understand how everything wasn't snapped up straight away in the STH presale, but was in the public sale. I'd have thought everyone would have tried to get tickets immediately once the presale opened.

It does make sense though; I mean if even a small subset of all STHs bought 4+ tickets in the presale then of course there aren't going to be enough for everyone. There weren't even enough for one ticket per STH even including the Glasgow returns.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Glasgow are saying they'll have about 2500 over for it so clearly they never took their full 50% allocation (given they only returned 2k).

Until we start selling out games throughout the season in the RDS we shouldn't even think about moving games to LR.

Glad it's in the RDS, it's our home and will at least have half a chance of having a grain of atmosphere.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Isa is going to be at the match, chant of Isa on 15?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Love Isa, think we should concentrate on the guys playing for Leinster on Saturday though
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote:Love Isa, think we should concentrate on the guys playing for Leinster on Saturday though
If I get to sit between Isa and ROG I'll have Isa pretend he's my dad the whole way through. Arm around my shoulder and talking me through the game . . .
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Morf wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Love Isa, think we should concentrate on the guys playing for Leinster on Saturday though
If I get to sit between Isa and ROG I'll have Isa pretend he's my dad the whole way through. Arm around my shoulder and talking me through the game . . .
"Monsieur Rog, deux bieres s'il vous plait"
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Morf wrote:
A gentle tear of laughter meanders down my left cheek.

I wish ISA was my dad
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Am I right in thinking this game is Rabo's gig and not Leinster's? If so then presumably it makes sense for Leinster to have it in the ground where they feel most comfortable and will hopefully give an advantage on the pitch. The football had 25k fans on Sunday and the Aviva looked like a ghost town. Anyone who really wanted a ticket for this game could have got one.
As for the Aviva, there seems to be this nostalgia that the old Lansdowne always had an amazing atmosphere due to its "rustic" nature. There have been plenty of cr@p days in the old stadium when the place was like a library, just as there were in Donnybrook and the RDS. The Aviva atmosphere has picked up massively for Ireland since Joe took over, the AB's game was one of the best atmosphere's I've ever witnessed.

Looking forward to Saturday, just hope the team get the emotion levels right with the guys leaving. I think the experience of the 2 Osprey's finals will count, the Cheika era ended with disappointment so hopefully this week's build up is just about the process of the game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

he deserves a parade at half time at least, with marching bands and elephants
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

sheepshagger wrote:Glasgow are saying they'll have about 2500 over for it so clearly they never took their full 50% allocation (given they only returned 2k).

They took 3k out of the 9 they could have, and LR are hoping to get another 300 back off them today.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."