Leinster A versus Leeds

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster A versus Leeds

Post by AdamK »

neiliog93 wrote:
AdamK wrote:Anyone reckon we'll see Windsor for this one? Maybe as 22?

Can't see Collie breaking up the Reid/COS parnership. They've been very good together. Macken will be on the wing at best.
It would be an interesting option to have but is unlikely as he's not getting a contract for next season (about as much of the "inside track") as I'll ever get.
Windsor? What's the deal with him anyway? Here on a trial I presume?
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

He's supposedly been training with us for most of the season. I hadn't heard of him until recently, but looking back he seemed to get some game time in the A inter-pro's. Have no idea how good or otherwise he is, but MOC knew about him from back in Oz and invited him over. He has a highlights reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceiqwdzWBYA), seems to be around AIL level, but he looks decent in it. One of those weird MOC things (to me anyway, sometimes I can't figure out his thought process on certain decisions), not sure he could bring much to the first team, he's not young enough to invest much in, but to be fair, don't think he's gotten much time ahead of younger guys and has just added a bit of depth to the A team.

He could well be on the bench for his versatility though. I'd think Reid would start and be cover for 10, but he (Dempsey) may want to have additional 10 cover if he doesn't fancy shifting Reid from 12.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ticket purchased.

Better not be paying €20 for the stand for everyone to be allowed in willy-nilly.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Morf wrote:Ticket purchased.

Better not be paying €20 for the stand for everyone to be allowed in willy-nilly.
You missed the STH 25% discount. Unreserved, so all sorts of riff-raff will be in there.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Hornet wrote:

You missed the STH 25% discount. Unreserved, so all sorts of riff-raff will be in there.
People outside the Pale?

Lord have mercy . . .
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Morf wrote:
Hornet wrote:

People outside the Pale?

Lord have mercy . . .
Oi. I'm the riff-raff! :D
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

[Jackass] wrote:He's supposedly been training with us for most of the season. I hadn't heard of him until recently, but looking back he seemed to get some game time in the A inter-pro's. Have no idea how good or otherwise he is, but MOC knew about him from back in Oz and invited him over. He has a highlights reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceiqwdzWBYA), seems to be around AIL level, but he looks decent in it. One of those weird MOC things (to me anyway, sometimes I can't figure out his thought process on certain decisions), not sure he could bring much to the first team, he's not young enough to invest much in, but to be fair, don't think he's gotten much time ahead of younger guys and has just added a bit of depth to the A team.

He could well be on the bench for his versatility though. I'd think Reid would start and be cover for 10, but he (Dempsey) may want to have additional 10 cover if he doesn't fancy shifting Reid from 12.
Yeah, he'd been in the Brumbies' squad but hadn't really broken through. Having watched him play in the AIL and spoken to lads who played with him, he usually stood out as the best player on the pitch by a distance. Doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a Leinster contract though.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

neiliog93 wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:He's supposedly been training with us for most of the season. I hadn't heard of him until recently, but looking back he seemed to get some game time in the A inter-pro's. Have no idea how good or otherwise he is, but MOC knew about him from back in Oz and invited him over. He has a highlights reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceiqwdzWBYA), seems to be around AIL level, but he looks decent in it. One of those weird MOC things (to me anyway, sometimes I can't figure out his thought process on certain decisions), not sure he could bring much to the first team, he's not young enough to invest much in, but to be fair, don't think he's gotten much time ahead of younger guys and has just added a bit of depth to the A team.

Yeah, he'd been in the Brumbies' squad but hadn't really broken through. Having watched him play in the AIL and spoken to lads who played with him, he usually stood out as the best player on the pitch by a distance. Doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a Leinster contract though.
We'll if he not being kept on no point in having him on the bench for this one. Am I right in thinking the Ulster interprovincial was his only game time?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Leinster 'A' team for the British & Irish Cup Final against Leeds Carnegie tomorrow evening in Donnybrook (KO 7pm) has been announced, with some positional and personnel changes to the team that overcame Pontypridd in the semi-final.

Darragh Fanning will start on the wing against Leeds Carnegie, returning to play for Leinster 'A' for the first time since the pool stage win over Moseley RFC in Donnybrook back in January.

Brendan Macken moves to 13, with Noel Reid alongside him in midfield, which means Collie O'Shea takes a place among the replacements.

In the front row, Jack O'Connell comes in to start in place of Ed Byrne, who is named on the bench. Ben Marshall will play in the second row alongside Quinn Roux, which means Leo Auva'a comes in to start in the back row, flanked by Jack Conan and Dominic Ryan.

Tickets for the match are on sale here, or can be purchased at the gate on the night.

British & Irish Cup Final tickets:

Adult Terrace/Stand - €15/€20
Under-18s Terrace/Stand - €5/€10
Family Terrace/Stand - €35/€50

Leinster 'A' v Leeds Carnegie, British & Irish Cup Final, Donnybrook, 23rd May, KO 7pm:

15. Darren Hudson
14. Sam Coghlan Murray
13. Brendan Macken
12. Noel Reid
11. Darragh Fanning
10. Cathal Marsh
9. Luke McGrath
1. Jack O'Connell
2. James Tracy
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Ben Marshall
5. Quinn Roux
6. Jack Conan
7. Dominic Ryan (c)
8. Leo Auva'a

Replacements:

16. Bryan Byrne
17. Ed Byrne
18. Ross Molony
19. Josh Van Der Flier
20. John Cooney
21. Colm O'Shea
22. Andrew Boyle
TimD
Bookworm

Post by TimD »

15. Darren Hudson
14. Sam Coghlan Murray
13. Brendan Macken
12. Noel Reid
11. Darragh Fanning
10. Cathal Marsh
9. Luke McGrath
1. Jack O'Connell
2. James Tracy
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Ben Marshall
5. Quinn Roux
6. Jack Conan
7. Dominic Ryan (c)
8. Leo Auva'a

Replacements:

16. Bryan Byrne
17. Ed Byrne
18. Ross Molony
19. Josh Van Der Flier
20. John Cooney
21. Colm O'Shea
22. Andrew Boyle
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Reid covering 10.

Back 5 of the pack are focking animals (in the nicest way of course)

Good to see they did not drop in and Ireland Internationals or anything and kept with the spirit of the comp.

Several of us were Leeds Utd fans back in the 70s which should make it interesting....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

No one over 6'5" starting though. Might affect our lineout
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That's one serious looking "A" team. Are there rules around who from the 1st team can play in this?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really like the look of that team.

Well, apart from Leo at 8.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Actually I'd be a bit worried about Fanj too, surely he'll be rusty? I know Boyle is leaving but he's quality at this level and I'd have started him.

Happy to see Macken at 13.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

johng wrote:Reid covering 10.

Back 5 of the pack are focking animals (in the nicest way of course)

Good to see they did not drop in and Ireland Internationals or anything and kept with the spirit of the comp.

Several of us were Leeds Utd fans back in the 70s which should make it interesting....

Never thought I would see the day Leeds v Leinster in a cup final. Ah memories of 1972 and sniffer Clarkes header from Mick Jones cross past the despairing Geoff Barnett :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I see the not playing leaving players thing is relaxed for this. Good. Hope the lads get a nice send off.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leeds making some interesting choices by having no full back but an extra sub on the bench! ;-)

http://www.leedscarnegie.com/news/23107.php

Leeds Carnegie Head Coach James Lowes has named a strong line up for the British & Irish Cup Final against Leinster A in Dublin on Friday night as Leeds look to end the season on a high.
Following defeat to London Welsh last Sunday, the decision was taken to name the strongest possible side for the Dublin showdown and ten of the team that started at Oxford return to action five days later.

Skipper Jacob Rowan will make his final appearance for the club before following fellow team mate Stevie McColl to Gloucester next season. Jonah Holmes and David Sisi will both return to Wasps and Bath, respectively, after the game whilst Jonny Bentley, James Doherty and Calum Green will also all play their final games for the club before moving on in the summer.

The team in full is:
14 Jonah Holmes
13 Jon Clarke
12 Fred Burdon
11 David Doherty
10 Jonny Bentley
9 James Doherty
1 Charlie Beech
2 Joe Graham
3 Damien Tussac
4 Calum Green
5 Mike Myerscough
6 David Sisi
7 Chris Walker
8 Jacob Rowan (c)

16 Phil Nilsen
17 Lee Imiolek
18 Ben Hooper
19 Matt Smith
20 Richard Beck
21 Christian Georgiou
22 Joe Barker
23 Glyn Hughes
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Actually I'd be a bit worried about Fanj too, surely he'll be rusty? I know Boyle is leaving but he's quality at this level and I'd have started him.

Happy to see Macken at 13.
Not sure that being a ginger is something you should be worried about. Racist.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Like the senior team with the Pro12, Leinster's second team also have a chance to successfully defend the trophy they won last year. This time however, they'll get a chance to do it at home in front of a bumper home crowd with Leinster's first team having no involvement in a European final for the first time since 2010.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.