ERCC Draw

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: ERCC Draw

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So nobody from the Celtic League, a further visitation to Castres and two from PRL.........certainly gives us the opportunity to leave a very strong message on behalf of the Pro12!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

footrush wrote:
Castres wrote:still Against you oh ................s....t
Beautiful town can't wait to return, abientot mon ami.
Yep - a definite place to visit. It will be my third trip!
A proud Winsome Fluter
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Not too bad a draw I guess, we have a new defence coach coming, plus a few new players. Toulon will be a different side next year without Wilko running the game and he's been a better kicker than Giteau.
I expect big things this coming season from the Tigers as a reaction to what has been a poor season for us this year and think Ulster might find a different mindset from the past, we owe them.
Good luck with your pool, looks winnable for you, though I expect Wasps to continue with their climb back into contention. Quinns? well who knows, they have the parts, but didn't quite deliver as a unit last year.
Sorries and the Sinners will fancy their chances in their pools, Sale might just be the dark horse for next campaign.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Pool 1
Saracens
Munster
Clermont
Sale

Not something that I say often but G'Wan Munster (and ASM and Sale)

I'd love it if they (Nigel Wray) didn't qualify.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Yea I think just about all of Ireland will want Sarries not to qualify but I doubt if Munster will be the ones to do them.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

blockhead wrote:Bloodgate part deux and Wasps. One or both of those may well be in Wembly.
Quins definitely won't (move to Wembley). I can see it being at the Stoop because Quins don't need the money. (About 8 years ago we played Munster at 'nam; we were out of the group stages already and we needed the money as we were about to build the shiny new West stand, but games don't often get moved as Quins would rather be in the knock-out stages and if we were to beat Leinster, it's more likely to be at the Stoop than somewhere we've just given home advantage away to).

It's been a disappointing year, from what I've seen of Quins, even though we won something like the last 5 games of the year to finish 4th. There were 5 (I think) Quins in the England side at the weekend and there's a good representation in the squad. Nick Evans won't last forever :( but he's still worth the money he's being paid.

Of course, everyone will talk about it being the first time that the clubs have played since 'that game' but hopefully we've all moved on (and it wasn't the fans' fault). In other news, the Jolly Hog is taking over the catering for the whole of the stadium from the start of the season, so if you're not a vegetarian, get down to the Stoop before they sell out. You have been warned! (and if you are a veggie, I believe that there will be other tasty treats available!)

It depends when the game is; if Quins draw Leinster at the Aviva as the first game, I can see Quins sneaking it (sorry!), but it's a big year for everyone, especially with the world cup at the end of it, so no chicken counting just yet :wink:
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

offshorerules wrote:Yea I think just about all of Ireland will want Sarries not to qualify but I doubt if Munster will be the ones to do them.
I don't think it's just all of Ireland... :wink:
Castres
Beginner

Post by Castres »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
footrush wrote:
good ! just for the week end ? match ?
Last edited by Castres on June 10th, 2014, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Castres
Beginner

Post by Castres »

Pool 1 is a more complicate ... and pool 3, 4 and 5 are more easier
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

tigerburnie wrote:Not too bad a draw I guess, we have a new defence coach coming, plus a few new players. Toulon will be a different side next year without Wilko running the game and he's been a better kicker than Giteau.
I expect big things this coming season from the Tigers as a reaction to what has been a poor season for us this year and think Ulster might find a different mindset from the past, we owe them.
Good luck with your pool, looks winnable for you, though I expect Wasps to continue with their climb back into contention. Quinns? well who knows, they have the parts, but didn't quite deliver as a unit last year.
Sorries and the Sinners will fancy their chances in their pools, Sale might just be the dark horse for next campaign.
Toulon will have Leigh Halfpenny to kick the goals for them next season
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

cormac wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Not too bad a draw I guess, we have a new defence coach coming, plus a few new players. Toulon will be a different side next year without Wilko running the game and he's been a better kicker than Giteau.
Toulon will have Leigh Halfpenny to kick the goals for them next season
Forgot about him.......................
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

blockhead wrote:Bloodgate part deux and Wasps. One or both of those may well be in Wembly.
That's Saracens territory. Munster could well be heading there.

I'd be astounded if Quins moved the game. Wasps could do with the cash from a larger ground and might be tempted but it would be Twickenham if they switched.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

claire_m wrote:
Quins definitely won't (move to Wembley). I can see it being at the Stoop because Quins don't need the money. (About 8 years ago we played Munster at 'nam; we were out of the group stages already and we needed the money as we were about to build the shiny new West stand, but games don't often get moved as Quins would rather be in the knock-out stages and if we were to beat Leinster, it's more likely to be at the Stoop than somewhere we've just given home advantage away to).

It's been a disappointing year, from what I've seen of Quins, even though we won something like the last 5 games of the year to finish 4th. There were 5 (I think) Quins in the England side at the weekend and there's a good representation in the squad. Nick Evans won't last forever :( but he's still worth the money he's being paid.

Of course, everyone will talk about it being the first time that the clubs have played since 'that game' but hopefully we've all moved on (and it wasn't the fans' fault). In other news, the Jolly Hog is taking over the catering for the whole of the stadium from the start of the season, so if you're not a vegetarian, get down to the Stoop before they sell out. You have been warned! (and if you are a veggie, I believe that there will be other tasty treats available!)

It depends when the game is; if Quins draw Leinster at the Aviva as the first game, I can see Quins sneaking it (sorry!), but it's a big year for everyone, especially with the world cup at the end of it, so no chicken counting just yet :wink:
Wembly or Twicks? Even if Quins would prefer the Stoop Wasps may well decide the big payday could come from getting a bigger local contingent into a larger stadium. Leinster may well lose out despite the expat factor.

Are we now at the stage where even our rivals recognise that games at the Aviva equals a weakness in Leinster's armour?

There may well be no big stadium game until the QF, if we get that far of course.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

Wembly or Twicks? Even if Quins would prefer the Stoop Wasps may well decide the big payday could come from getting a bigger local contingent into a larger stadium. Leinster may well lose out despite the expat factor.

Are we now at the stage where even our rivals recognise that games at the Aviva equals a weakness in Leinster's armour?

There may well be no big stadium game until the QF, if we get that far of course.[/quote]

Would love to see us try two pro12 games at Aviva and keep hcup (sorry cant get used tochange) at rds. We could fill aviva for ulster if it were played on 26 or 27 December with good marketing.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
footrush wrote:
Hotels sorted already can't wait. :happy clapper:
Flying wedge
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

The nature of the Aviva games have meant we have only played strong sides (Bath was the only exception). I have a feeling this year they will not let another home game slip, the 2 losses in the Aviva took away the "fortress" perception but you still need to play pretty well to beat leinster at home.

I'd say the back to back may well be Quins, I'm sure that would be the preferred option for the "christmas cracker" game.

With the competitivness in the groups, denying/scoring bonus points at home will be crucial, along with picking up whatever you can away from home. I can see teams qualifying with 20 or less points.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Beautiful town can't wait to return, abientot mon ami.[/quote]

Hotels sorted already can't wait. :happy clapper:[/quote]

When is it?
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

footrush wrote: Hotels sorted already can't wait. :happy clapper:
What weekend did you book?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Alternative Ulster wrote:
footrush wrote: Hotels sorted already can't wait. :happy clapper:
What weekend did you book?
All of them?
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

outcast eddie wrote:
claire_m wrote:

There may well be no big stadium game until the QF, if we get that far of course.
I don't think that other sides necessarily see the Aviva as a weakness, but it's like Quins playing at Twickers; yes, you get more money, but you're diluting your home advantage as more neutrals / opposition can also get tickets.

I also can't see it being at Twickenham as Quins play 'The Big Game' there every Christmas and like most others, I would think that these would be the back-to-back December fixtures (assuming they're still happening!). Therefore, Quins aren't going to sell out Twickenham twice in the space of a few weeks, so will in all likelihood keep Twickers for Christmas and the Stoop for Europe.

Of course, that's just my tuppence, and what do I know? (*very little!)

Wasps also have an annual fixture at Twickers, the St George's game, so may well be happy to take the pay-day it will afford. (I will add, that speaking to the old CEO of Quins, it would take selling 50k tickets at Twickers to break even, so it's not always the cash cow it's built up to be!)

And from a fan's point of view, Twickenham (and its environs) is probably preferably to Adams Park and its... I know where i'd rather be and I really don't like watching rugby in Twickenham! (the stadium, not the town!!!)