Donnybrook

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Donnybrook

Post by cormac »

Are they installing an all-weather pitch in Donnybrook? Passed by it recently and there seemed to be far more work than the usual summer pitch re-planting going on.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Re: Donnybrook

Post by rdsblue »

Yes, Leinster announced before the B& I cup final in May that that would be the last game played on grass there and a new all weather pitch would be installed over the summer. No more muddy brown pitches for the schools matches next spring!
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

rdsblue wrote:Yes, Leinster announced before the B& I cup final in May that that would be the last game played on grass there and a new all weather pitch would be installed over the summer. No more muddy brown pitches for the schools matches next spring!
Cheers. Makes a lot of sense, wonder if that's why the pre-season friendly with Ulster was moved?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Great to see pitches finally getting converted to all weather. Used to hate playing in Donnybrook by end of season when younger as pitch was so bad.
No more cr@p muddy pitches for anyone is great. Think the work being done to pitches was part of reason game with Ulster was moved
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

The amount they've spent on that pitch over the past decade, they could have built the 20k stadium!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

jezzer wrote:The amount they've spent on that pitch over the past decade, they could have built the 20k stadium!
Yeah unbelivable mainteance costs but it is a cash cow for Leinster with schools rugby. Sportsworks are installing 2 new all weather pitches they will miss the mainteance charges they got on the the old pitches :)
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ormond lad wrote:Great to see pitches finally getting converted to all weather. Used to hate playing in Donnybrook by end of season when younger as pitch was so bad.
No more cr@p muddy pitches for anyone is great. Think the work being done to pitches was part of reason game with Ulster was moved
Lucky if it was muddy - they used to sand the thing - picking sand out of the cuts :evil:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Armchair wrote:
jezzer wrote:The amount they've spent on that pitch over the past decade, they could have built the 20k stadium!
Yeah unbelivable mainteance costs but it is a cash cow for Leinster with schools rugby. Sportsworks are installing 2 new all weather pitches they will miss the mainteance charges they got on the the old pitches :)
Nope. They wont.

The all weathers cost a bit in maintenance every year too
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Darce wrote:
Armchair wrote:
Nope. They wont.

Hoover and a mop, no?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Darce wrote:
Armchair wrote:
Nope. They wont.

No where near the money they get every year currently
mauler72
Learner

Post by mauler72 »

I was watching the first Sarries home game after they converted to the All-weather surface. I remember they interviewed one of the club suits who said that the maintenance was expected to be about £12,000 per year, as opposed to about £80,000 for the old pitch, when you include groundsmans wages etc
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Did he say which of the players wives was being paid 80000 as a groundsman :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Blue not red blood wrote:Did he say which of the players wives was being paid 80000 as a groundsman :lol:
bravo sir
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:Did he say which of the players wives was being paid 80000 as a groundsman :lol:
bravo sir
Thon's a cracker hai.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Alternative Ulster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
bravo sir
Thon's a cracker hai.
they later complained Irish groundsmen had an unfair advantage
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

mauler72 wrote:I was watching the first Sarries home game after they converted to the All-weather surface. I remember they interviewed one of the club suits who said that the maintenance was expected to be about £12,000 per year, as opposed to about £80,000 for the old pitch, when you include groundsmans wages etc
Load of old balls as I know a freelance groundsman who looks after both grass and synthetic pitches and he says not a heck of a big difference between them and when you count in resurfacing the synthetic ones twice approx for 1 sand based pitch there is nothing in it, now admittedly one of the synthetics he maintains is a council one that gets very heavy use.
I told him about that 12k figure and he laughed at me and said who spun them that one.