Leinster v Ulster pre-season 30 Aug

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Leinster v Ulster pre-season 30 Aug

Post by Darce »

Seeing Payne at 13 upclose and personal is worth the ticket alone
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:Seeing Payne at 13 upclose and personal is worth the ticket alone
We saw it last season at the RDS, wasn't that great tbh.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Here's a team of players that aren't starting tomorrow.

Kearney R, Kearney D, Te'o, D'Arcy, Fitzgerald, Madigan, Reddan; McGrath, Cronin, Moore, Douglas, Toner, Ruddock, Murphy, Heaslip.

Some pretty decent strength in depth at the moment.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

I don't see the point of starting Gopperth ahead of Marsh. The academy lads are the Sextons and Kearneys of the future. If they're trusted whenever possible now, it'll make them better players. Why aren't Marsh and Kelleher starting? I want to see a bit more of a culture of backing the young guys. People say 'Oh, they're not ready', and then the same people insist that Te'o should be given a chance to get up to speed. Of course the academy players won't be completely up to speed when first picked, and the U20 forwards need more time to develop strength, but I think up-and-coming backs should be given the chance to grow into the jersey and picked without fear of failure
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Tricky Dicky wrote:I don't see the point of starting Gopperth ahead of Marsh. The academy lads are the Sextons and Kearneys of the future. If they're trusted whenever possible now, it'll make them better players. Why aren't Marsh and Kelleher starting? I want to see a bit more of a culture of backing the young guys. People say 'Oh, they're not ready', and then the same people insist that Te'o should be given a chance to get up to speed. Of course the academy players won't be completely up to speed when first picked, and the U20 forwards need more time to develop strength, but I think up-and-coming backs should be given the chance to grow into the jersey and picked without fear of failure
McGrath, Reid, and Macken not enough for you? That's three out of the seven backs who are young and came through the academy. Plus Dardis, SCM, and Coglan who started last week. Would have thought that was a healthy number of youngsters myself.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Here's a team of players that aren't starting tomorrow.

Kearney R, Kearney D, Te'o, D'Arcy, Fitzgerald, Madigan, Reddan; McGrath, Cronin, Moore, Douglas, Toner, Ruddock, Murphy, Heaslip.

Some pretty decent strength in depth at the moment.
That's very encouraging to see. There are a good few others who you could mention too.

Anyone know what the story with Dundon is?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Excellent question. Or James Tracy for that matter. We had an Ail lad (Tyrone Moran) replacing Byrne last week.

4 senior hookers and none around. Or perhaps they will be on the bench this week.
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

Madigan will be on the bench just to let you know.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:I don't see the point of starting Gopperth ahead of Marsh. The academy lads are the Sextons and Kearneys of the future. If they're trusted whenever possible now, it'll make them better players. Why aren't Marsh and Kelleher starting? I want to see a bit more of a culture of backing the young guys. People say 'Oh, they're not ready', and then the same people insist that Te'o should be given a chance to get up to speed. Of course the academy players won't be completely up to speed when first picked, and the U20 forwards need more time to develop strength, but I think up-and-coming backs should be given the chance to grow into the jersey and picked without fear of failure
McGrath, Reid, and Macken not enough for you? That's three out of the seven backs who are young and came through the academy. Plus Dardis, SCM, and Coglan who started last week. Would have thought that was a healthy number of youngsters myself.
Those first 3 were playing under Joe. It's not really about the actual number of academy guys anyway. It's about the guys who are good enough to get a shot getting a shot. If that's only one player then so be it. I applaud O'Connor for allowing Reid to blossom last season. But what I don't get is why this game isn't being used to give more guys who are good enough (Marsh, Kelleher) game-time
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Tricky Dicky wrote:what I don't get is why this game isn't being used to give more guys who are good enough (Marsh, Kelleher) game-time
Because giving young players game time is only one of the many things you can accomplish in a pre season friendly.

Getting players ready for the season opener away to the runners up would be fairly high on the agenda I would imagine.
denzel
Learner

Post by denzel »

Tricky Dicky wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Those first 3 were playing under Joe. It's not really about the actual number of academy guys anyway. It's about the guys who are good enough to get a shot getting a shot. If that's only one player then so be it. I applaud O'Connor for allowing Reid to blossom last season. But what I don't get is why this game isn't being used to give more guys who are good enough (Marsh, Kelleher) game-time

Copy that.

And how Jennings isn't club and country captain for the past 5 years now is astonishing.

O'Brien barely knows his way onto the pitch.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

johng wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:what I don't get is why this game isn't being used to give more guys who are good enough (Marsh, Kelleher) game-time
Because giving young players game time is only one of the many things you can accomplish in a pre season friendly.

Getting players ready for the season opener away to the runners up would be fairly high on the agenda I would imagine.
That's part of it I suppose, but I still think there's a bit of a failure to see the bigger picture
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Tricky Dicky wrote:
johng wrote:

That's part of it I suppose, but I still think there's a bit of a failure to see the bigger picture
I suppose when you are MOC and see the players every day, talk to them about their goals, watch them in training, get feedback about them from the other coaches etc etc. AND WHEN IT'S YOUR FOCKING JOB! You are not in possession of all the info that you and I have from........ where ever.

Makes it harder for him to see the big picture OK. :lol:
Stercrazy

Post by Stercrazy »

Its great to see the AIL lads get a shot. Mick obviously went well last weekend, I also heard Moran made an impact when he game on, I'd like to see him get some game time this weekend, adding a 113kg hooker to the squad would be nice.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think we have seen a better balance of young and old players since Cheika left. Might disagree on the odd call but getting ready for the upcoming real matches has to be a priority. We're aiming for the knockouts in all comps again, and don't want to have to be flogging some players at the pointy end of the season as has happened in the recent past due to poor early season results.

O''Brien as captain did stand out alright.

Also Locky being offered a chance to make the 23 through versatility?
Stercrazy

Post by Stercrazy »

johng wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Excellent question. Or James Tracy for that matter. We had an Ail lad (Tyrone Moran) replacing Byrne last week.

4 senior hookers and none around. Or perhaps they will be on the bench this week.
I'd like to see Moran have some more game time, I heard he made a solid impact last weekend when he came on, thats all I heard though, does anyone else know more?

At 113kg he's a sizeable hooker
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

B & I Cup and home league games v Edinburgh, Italians or Welsh the time to mess about with starting 3rd choice outhalf

MOC is being very aggressive, which I like, and going for a win away to Glasgow, so Gopperth being brought up to speed. If Gopperth is the guy he wants to start there he needs gametime
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote: Also Locky being offered a chance to make the 23 through versatility?
Perhaps a sign that he may be asked to fill in in case of injury before Douglas arrives.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: Also Locky being offered a chance to make the 23 through versatility?
Perhaps a sign that he may be asked to fill in in case of injury before Douglas arrives.
I can imagine him keeping his head down or going for a piss (as I have done) when MOC asked if anyone else had played second row before. I feel for Locky, it'll be a thankless task for him and from experience I know it's not fun to make that switch.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:Seeing Payne at 13 upclose and personal is worth the ticket alone
We saw it last season at the RDS, wasn't that great tbh.
Unless he improves drastically at 13 you can have him !
He is a changed character though this year without his drinking buddy