Leinster v Ulster pre-season 30 Aug

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Ulster pre-season 30 Aug

Post by fourthirtythree »

To be fair it's not just Rooster who is pretty positive about the changes up Norn. Everyone I talked to has been pretty sanguine throughout the upheavals.

Anscombe really did rub them up the wrong way...

Edit
Just read DarksideLightside on the Ulster thread saying just this from an ulster perspective: getting rid of Anscombe was a positive move and Humps didn't really impact the rugby anyway.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I'm with tricky one this one. Would much rather the likes of kelleher or mcgrath had a run out instead of fanning who we already know has no serious pace which every good winger needs, no footwork and can't pass.Thought he was just being used as a stop gap last year but get the impression that moc is going to keep him involved regularly. Not knocking him but we should be looking at someone else who can give us a genuine threat on the wing! Scm, kelleher, mcgrath and Byrne look like they cd score tries if we give them a few run outs.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

You see it boils down to the fact that probably none of you understand the full story of the departure of Anscombe and I am sorry I don't think it would be wise for me to put it all on a forum, Humphs didn't do any coaching and could be pretty obstinate about things so while he was useful in the hiring and firing department in some ways he won't be missed.
Players are happy with current set up so if they are happy then I am also happy
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

rooster wrote:You see it boils down to the fact that probably none of you understand the full story of the departure of Anscombe and I am sorry I don't think it would be wise for me to put it all on a forum, Humphs didn't do any coaching and could be pretty obstinate about things so while he was useful in the hiring and firing department in some ways he won't be missed.
Players are happy with current set up so if they are happy then I am also happy

We can only judge on fragments of the story. At first look, Anscombes departure is nuts.

Players happy is nice at this point of he season, coaches aren't hired for this phase though.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

So inept of Leinster not to stream this game, rugby in general lacks so far behind other sports in its coverage of preseason
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

future international wrote:So inept of Leinster not to stream this game, rugby in general lacks so far behind other sports in its coverage of preseason
Explain why they are inept?
I have Bumbleflex
denzel
Learner

Post by denzel »

carlow man wrote:I'm with tricky one this one. Would much rather the likes of kelleher or mcgrath had a run out instead of fanning who we already know has no serious pace which every good winger needs, no footwork and can't pass.Thought he was just being used as a stop gap last year but get the impression that moc is going to keep him involved regularly. Not knocking him but we should be looking at someone else who can give us a genuine threat on the wing! Scm, kelleher, mcgrath and Byrne look like they cd score tries if we give them a few run outs.
Fanning is a top class player. Mary's 8 was also good that year - captain.

I'm just disappointed not more of the Belvo team from that final have come through - the likes of Sexton as we need top class hookers coming through and haven't looked after positions like this. Why?
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Fanning may have been top class in the ail but the pro 12 is a big step up and while he is ok to fill in now and then, we need to find wingers who can score tries and don't think fanning will do that.
denzel
Learner

Post by denzel »

Have to disagree with you there. The guy is a flyer. I'd also put him down as an option for 13.

Definitely have him as a main squad player this season especially for European games - he's well ready to step up.

Surprised they haven't been given a chance before now.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

denzel wrote:
carlow man wrote:I'm with tricky one this one. Would much rather the likes of kelleher or mcgrath had a run out instead of fanning who we already know has no serious pace which every good winger needs, no footwork and can't pass.Thought he was just being used as a stop gap last year but get the impression that moc is going to keep him involved regularly. Not knocking him but we should be looking at someone else who can give us a genuine threat on the wing! Scm, kelleher, mcgrath and Byrne look like they cd score tries if we give them a few run outs.
Fanning is a top class player. Mary's 8 was also good that year - captain.

I'm just disappointed not more of the Belvo team from that final have come through - the likes of Sexton as we need top class hookers coming through and haven't looked after positions like this. Why?
Tom Sexton is it? I think he went down to the Melbourne Rebels. He looked like a good player, but moved on cos he was 3rd or 4th choice I think
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

denzel wrote:Have to disagree with you there. The guy is a flyer. I'd also put him down as an option for 13.

Definitely have him as a main squad player this season especially for European games - he's well ready to step up.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. DF gets unnecessary and undeserved criticism from many which is largely due to the fact that MOC is the one that brought him into the fold. However, he's nothing special at professional level. He isn't going to be a guy who will stand out against top Pro12 teams or at European level.

He's useful though. He's hard to put down and gets over the gain line. He earned two (somewhat fortuitous) man of the match awards last season but in both games he was instrumental in a lot of the good things Leinster did.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Fanning isn't a flyer. Wish he was. Watched him closely last year and he is physical and gets around but no way is he good enough for the European games. We need to find a winger who scores tries and still not sure we have one. Think Kirchner could do well esp if we keep fitzy fit as they seemed to strike up a good understanding in a couple of games they both started. But re fanning, sorry denzel but no thanks.
denzel
Learner

Post by denzel »

ceemec wrote:
denzel wrote:Have to disagree with you there. The guy is a flyer. I'd also put him down as an option for 13.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. DF gets unnecessary and undeserved criticism from many which is largely due to the fact that MOC is the one that brought him into the fold. However, he's nothing special at professional level. He isn't going to be a guy who will stand out against top Pro12 teams or at European level.

He's useful though. He's hard to put down and gets over the gain line. He earned two (somewhat fortuitous) man of the match awards last season but in both games he was instrumental in a lot of the good things Leinster did.
Well what are you going to do - he doesn't have a fan club of dumplings talking him up on this site 24-7 like the lesser players from some of the lesser schools but then they get through from their pressure clubs on here pushing people into believing labourers like O'Brien are better players than Jenno. It's a f%~king disgrace.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Have you tried starting a petition?
denzel
Learner

Post by denzel »

ceemec wrote:Have you tried starting a petition?
No - I don't feel I should have to lobby against travellers.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

That's an awful thing to call Fanning. Shame on you.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

carlow man wrote:Fanning isn't a flyer. Wish he was. Watched him closely last year and he is physical and gets around but no way is he good enough for the European games. We need to find a winger who scores tries and still not sure we have one. Think Kirchner could do well esp if we keep fitzy fit as they seemed to strike up a good understanding in a couple of games they both started. But re fanning, sorry denzel but no thanks.
I'm actually a fan of Fanning. He's still finding his feet at this level and hopefully he can keep improving. I agree on Kirchner. I think he should be starting on the wing for us in Europe. He's pacier than McFadden and DK, and has looked pretty classy. Does Dave Kearney have the speed to be an outstanding winger? I think we'd see him at FB if his brother wasn't around
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Finished 10-7 to Ulster. Payne with the try for Ulster, Bryan Byrne with Leinster's.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bangorboy
Beginner

Post by bangorboy »

Did O'Brien get injured?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

bangorboy wrote:Did O'Brien get injured?
Twitter said he went off with a blood injury but he came back on. Dan Leavy went off injured according to Twitter
Look out Itchy, he's Irish