Game 2: Leinster home to Scarlets [13/09/14] Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Game 2: Leinster home to Scarlets [13/09/14] Sky Sports

Post by goreyguy »

Kickoff: 2.40

Hopefully we are much improved on last week because we will need to be..
Luke McGrath hopefully starts.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Game 2: Leinster home to Scarlets [13/09/14] Sky Sports

Post by johng »

goreyguy wrote:Kickoff: 2.40

Luke McGrath Eoin Reddan hopefully starts, with McGrath on the bench.
:)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Kickoff: 2.40

Luke McGrath Eoin Reddan hopefully starts, with McGrath on the bench.
:)
Ideal scenario but I'm assuming Reddan isn't back yet
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Don't see why not.

McFadden, Madigan, Reid, J McGrath & Ross were all in Argentina.

Some or all of Heaslip, Toner, R Kearney, Reddan, Ruddock (who were all in Argentina also) could feature this week.

The likes of Darce and Moore too (Who weren't in Arg) Possibly at the expense of some of the guys in line 1
goforward
Beginner

Post by goforward »

It is not just about who might play next weekend but the far bigger issue is the type of game we are not playing and have not tried to play or been allowed to for a very long time. The style is straight out of the English Premiership. It is not what Leinster have been famed for over many years. It is getting boring to watch and it is so ineffective. The coach needs to realise that directing such restrictive phases and denying the use of creativity is not juts ugly to watch but is crippling for players with spark.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Its interesting to see the contract between Boss and McGrath. Boss is the more conservative option, stronger defense, with a solid kick from the base. His service is pretty good when he actually lets the ball go but he is taking far too much out of the ball for anyone's liking. Having said that, against Glasgow, the pack were serving up shite ball all day so he cant be blamed for taking his time when the ball is cr@p anyway.

McGrath and Reddan play to a much faster tempo though, moving the ball away from the breakdown instantly. Everyone seems to prefer the faster tempo but few consider what we lose when we include the likes of McGrath.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Ugh, didn't realize it was such an early kick off. I have a friendly on Saturday.. (or HAD...)
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I hope you play your best side and give the "turks" a good hiding.

They looked sharp behind the scrum last week and if Jordan WIlliams is fit they will have another strike runner for you to worry about.

I would definitely start with Boss and Ruddock to keep tabs on Davies at 9

Their scrum looked a bit weaker with no lee and Earle so hopefully you'll get some joy there.

Selection permitting you should have enough to take this by 10 points plus
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Scarlets missed 34 tackles on Saturday against Ulster.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

cormac wrote:Scarlets missed 34 tackles on Saturday against Ulster.
Wow! The bad news is that they possibly don't have any more missed tackles left in the squad.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

baaba maal wrote:
cormac wrote:Scarlets missed 34 tackles on Saturday against Ulster.
Wow! The bad news is that they possibly don't have any more missed tackles left in the squad.
Priestland (kicking) will always give rise to optimism against them

if Liam 'Gallagher' Williams is suspended then thats a big blow for them too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

johng wrote:Don't see why not.

Some or all of Heaslip, Toner, R Kearney, Reddan, Ruddock (who were all in Argentina also) could feature this week.

The likes of Darce and Moore too (Who weren't in Arg) Possibly at the expense of some of the guys in line 1
Was Ruddock really rested because he was in Argentina? He is the last person that would need/want a rest.
irishrugbyua
Learner

Post by irishrugbyua »

Keith wrote:
johng wrote:Don't see why not.

Was Ruddock really rested because he was in Argentina? He is the last person that would need/want a rest.
Why?

Plenty of lads were rested, it seems like each player has a specific timeline for coming back and it varies on factors we are unaware of.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

All the Irish squad players will have a "minutes budget" for each chunk of the season. The first chunk is up to the castles game.

1st 15 players will have the lowest numbers. But there will be other factors. eg. Props never play 80 anyway.

I believe it is finely tuned on an individual player basis with Joe Schmidt involved.

If MOC is as good at blending his teams for each game, while taking into account the team needs the player needs and the "minutes budget" as Joe was then we'll be grand.....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Reid out. D'Arcy in?

I think Healy should be dropped. We know he's capable of better and if we have to manage his minutes it might be good to give him an early kick up the hole. He came back chomping at the bit when McGrath was starting in his absence last season. Cronin gets a bye on the basis we have no one left. I'd keep Ross on as he seems to improve with game time.

Be interesting to see who is coming back in the back row. Ryan was prominent enough in the opening period but seemed to drift out of the game. Not terrible but not great either.

Been one of Boss's biggest critics but I think he should get the shout if Reddan isn't back. The slow ball wasn't his fault IMO. Seeing as Madigan played 80 last Saturday he's unlikely to start this Saturday............

Maybe one of the Kearneys for Fanj.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Cian Healy does not need a kick up the hole, he's had unbelievably high standards for his entire career. A couple of poor performances in a friendly and then his first competitive game of the season do not warrant any kind of repercussions for him. Games are what he needs, taking him out of the team would only slow down his return to form IMO.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

goforward wrote:It is not just about who might play next weekend but the far bigger issue is the type of game we are not playing and have not tried to play or been allowed to for a very long time. The style is straight out of the English Premiership. It is not what Leinster have been famed for over many years. It is getting boring to watch and it is so ineffective. The coach needs to realise that directing such restrictive phases and denying the use of creativity is not juts ugly to watch but is crippling for players with spark.
Looking in from the outside MOC's mentality seems to be to try to not lose games, instead of proactively going out and attempting to win. I don't know if it's because we were spoilt when JS was in charge, but now I find watching Leinster depressing, and I'd imagine it's depressing for players who were challenged under Joe
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Cian Healy does not need a kick up the hole, he's had unbelievably high standards for his entire career. A couple of poor performances in a friendly and then his first competitive game of the season do not warrant any kind of repercussions for him. Games are what he needs, taking him out of the team would only slow down his return to form IMO.
Sexton, Nacsewa, BOD and Cullen gone. We need him to be a leader and hit the ground running. I can excuse difficulties in the set piece but he was a really poor in the loose. Maybe a bit harsh to say he needs a kick in the hole, just can't remember a game like Saturdays where I thought he was a liability. He is on form the best LH in the country but at the very least I expect a passable impression of that player. He didn't look focused on the game at all on Saturday and him supposedly well rested. He seems to bring his game up a notch whenever he's been out or missed a few games, sitting in the stands watching McGrath(as of last season). E.G Castres away last season. Never thought I'd find myself wishing Michael Bent was in the 23 v Glasgow ahead of him.

He'll probably be moved to the bench in any case.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

for starters the only man (safe) to give Healy a kick up the backside is himself

but would agree he's a follow me player a la Rocky ie inspirational at his best, thought he got the lions share of hospital passes last weekend but he'll be fired up to put this right, starting him off bench and then unleashing him would be almost cruel to Scarlets, especially when their tighthead is built like a flanker
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goforward
Beginner

Post by goforward »

The more I watch this current style of play the more I see it not just as English Premiership but worse than that it is rugby league style. I can't see 'Grumpy' when he's back at 10 putting up with these 'running orders' from the backroom!