"Madigan has a decision to make"

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

irishrugbyua
Learner

"Madigan has a decision to make"

Post by irishrugbyua »

“That’s a decision Ian has to make,” said O’Connor on whether Madigan would be willing to sit behind Sexton. “He has got some good growth areas in his game, that he is well aware of. The fact that he has played in a number of positions, he is an unbelievable goal-kicker, he’s incredibly valuable to the squad. So from our end, we wouldn’t want him going anywhere, but he has got to make that call. If he thinks he is a genuine first choice 10 and capable of doing that, then he has a decision to make.

“In all the conversations I have had with Ian, you need develop into that guy, you need to develop into that bloke who manages a game in the front of the game and you got all those other attributes that he’s demonstrated so many times for us. He will only make himself better at a 12 if he nails down those one or two things that he can still work on as a front line 10.

“We’ve got that all through the squad. We have said a number of times, we need to back the environment to make sure guys want to be in the environment. From that end we would be pretty comfortable Ian would want to be here, but there will be a time when he has to make a decision in relation to position"
Hopefully Madigan is happy enough at Leinster and playing 12, wouldn't like to lose him but realise it's a possibility.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: "Madigan has a decision to make"

Post by ceemec »

I like the comments. He's making no apologies about Sexton coming home as first choice but is adamant about underlining Madigan's value.

I think we can read that Jimmy won't be in blue next season anyway.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Is Madthingigan definitely ruled as a 9 ?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

It's clear from Mocspeak that one of them has to go. Madigan has to move on. He is the best OH in Ireland but O'Connor does not realise that and continues to undermine him.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Raydollard wrote:It's clear from Mocspeak that one of them has to go. Madigan has to move on. He is the best OH in Ireland but O'Connor does not realise that and continues to undermine him.
I'd love that to be the case but he has never delivered consistently at 10, even when he's been given a run of games. Jackson is the best 10 playing in Ireland at the moment.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Raydollard wrote:It's clear from Mocspeak that one of them has to go. Madigan has to move on. He is the best OH in Ireland but O'Connor does not realise that and continues to undermine him.
This is utter fabrication. You're completely blind.

The nonsense spoken on here and elsewhere about Madigan is just something else.

The facts are, he just hasn't made the step up.

If he really was the God he's made out to be, instead of just a lightning rod for those looking to criticise our coach, then he would have no trouble clearly usurping a fairly journeyman 10.

He hasn't done that so far, and at 25, it doesn't look like he ever will at this stage.

I love the guy, he's a brilliant swashbuckling 10, but he just hasn't kicked on at all (both literally and metaphorically).
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

He will be more than welcome in France I reckon, we'd take him to play at 12 right now if he wants to push on
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I cant see Kirchner hanging around to be a backup player and doubt Mick Dawson will want such an expensive squad player so with him and Jimmy gone then Madigan's value as a 10, 12 and 15 increases, Darcy is most likely in his last season too
sewa wrote:He will be more than welcome in France I reckon, we'd take him to play at 12 right now if he wants to push on
are we now referring to Munster as France?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

No, the post is fairly easy to read Simon
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:I cant see Kirchner hanging around to be a backup player and doubt Mick Dawson will want such an expensive squad player so with him and Jimmy gone then Madigan's value as a 10, 12 and 15 increases, Darcy is most likely in his last season too
sewa wrote:He will be more than welcome in France I reckon, we'd take him to play at 12 right now if he wants to push on
are we now referring to Munster as France?
Kirchner is gone unless the IRFU gives us a special allowance to keep him which i can't see happening, same with Gopperth.
Madigan's game doesn't suit MOC's strict gameplan. Hopefully he can be persuaded to stay with Leinster as he brings a lot to the team.
He never would have played 10 for Leinster if McKinley hadn't had such a bad injury, should have been looked at as a 9 when he was younger.
Last edited by goreyguy on September 11th, 2014, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:

If he really was the God he's made out to be, instead of just a lightning rod for those looking to criticise our coach, then he would have no trouble clearly usurping a fairly journeyman 10.

He hasn't done that so far, and at 25, it doesn't look like he ever will at this stage.

I love the guy, he's a brilliant swashbuckling 10, but he just hasn't kicked on at all (both literally and metaphorically).
I too, am a bit sick of this deification of Madser- and the use of his 'neglect' as a tool to beat Matt O'Connor- but I think that Ian can still make the top level of us. Maybe he's not going to displace Johnny (yet!?) but the 12 spot is there for the the staking. After all, Ian's main issue is, that following a career of steady incremental improvement until Johnny's injury in 2012/ '13- when he exponentially (and timely) made the jump- he had a relatively poorish season last time and disappointed.

There's no better lesson than Sexton that the mid-20s is not too late to improve. But let's please stop treating him as a martyr or a unrecognized messiah. Insert 'Life of Brian' quote here.... :P :P
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

I too, am a bit sick of this deification of Madser- and the use of his 'neglect' as a tool to beat Matt O'Connor- but I think that Ian can still make the top level of us. Maybe he's not going to displace Johnny (yet!?) but the 12 spot is there for the the staking. After all, Ian's main issue is, that following a career of steady incremental improvement until Johnny's injury in 2012/ '13- when he exponentially (and timely) made the jump- he had a relatively poorish season last time and disappointed.

There's no better lesson than Sexton that the mid-20s is not too late to improve. But let's please stop treating him as a martyr or a unrecognized messiah. Insert 'Life of Brian' quote here.... :P :P
I'd agree he can still 'make it'. But I don't think it will be at 10 personally.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Maybe I am being a paranoid android, but I get the impression MOC would just happily pick Gopps every time and he only picks Mad Dog under pressure from the Blazers

Again maybe I am reading this the wrong way but he appears not to rate Madigan and isn't afraid to let it be known. I just found this a petty read.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morris for Fanning, next year's squad could be looking really good, except at 9 and 12
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Morris for Fanning, next year's squad could be looking really good, except at 9 and 12
12? i'd say 13 more like.

9. Reddan(34)
10. Sexton(30)
11. Fitzgerald(27)
12. Madigan(26) or Reid(25)
13. ???????????
14. McFadden(29)
15. Kearney(29)

Maybe McFadden plays 13 and Dave K is on the wing or maybe Teo/Macken step up to the plate.
Morris returning would be to replace both Kirchner IMO.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

goreyguy wrote:....should have been looked at as a 9 when he was younger.
Has this train definitely sailed? Both Reddan and Boss are probably looking at the RWC as their swansong(if not the RWC itself than the season). IMO Boss won't make the squad and I'm not sure he'll be good enough for all of this season. McGrath is the great hope but what I've seen of him his defense is poor and I can't see MOC giving him a go along side Gopperth all that often.

Actually, thinking about it we may need to resign Gopperth for next year if Madigan does improve and make a claim for the RWC squad9as an OH/ 2nd 5/8th/ FB. IF he does become 2nd choice Irish OH we're down to Marsh and AN other utility back.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

McGrath's defense poor? Wouldn't agree with that.
I think he is generally very good defensively and his only major weakness is his passing can be somewhat inconsistent and loopy.
I would hope that if Madigan was going to look at moving position, scrumhalf would be considered along with 12 but it's hasn't happened so far.
I'm on the record stating that MOC will try to get a NIQ scrumhalf to be 1st choice once Boss and Reddan leave, citing McGrath not having enough experience.
No way Gopperth stays, I'd hope in that scenario Marsh would be trusted for the short term during the RWC.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Madigan will never be a 9. He might have the pass and the break but I'd be shocked if he could learn how to boss a pack and direct a game from the base at 25. It's not an easy thing to learn. Most scrum halves don't hit the heights until their mid twenties.

Stranger things have happened but it's in the massive long shot category at this point.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Said it when the rumours surfaced about Johnny and I still believe that if there was a good offer for Madigan and he wanted to go, then I could see him being allowed to leave and Jimmy staying on. I think MOC would be much happier with and tbh I think it might be the best thing for Madigan, can't ever see him thriving under MOC.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

I tend to agree, but Madigan strikes me as having that scrumhalf personality.. too late now probably but I think if he had been moved there at a younger age he could have been a very good one.

It's one of the few remaining positions Leinster rugby has struggled to develop a player of top quality at.

If Gopperth and MOC stayed and Madigan was let leave... :oops: