Leinster A 2014-2015

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster A 2014-2015

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:Photos from the B&I Cup game: http://www.ppauk.com/event/Plymouth-Alb ... by-111014/

Jordan Coughlin had even gotten a backs haircut and all
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Can anyone confirm on the K.O. time for the 'A's v Jersey game next w/e? Jersey RFC website states Friday 19:30 K.O. Can't find anything on Leinster website.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:Can anyone confirm on the K.O. time for the 'A's v Jersey game next w/e? Jersey RFC website states Friday 19:30 K.O. Can't find anything on Leinster website.
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/result ... ster_a.php

Still bloody TBA less than a week from the match. Very shoddy stuff.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Donny B. wrote:
Hornet wrote:Can anyone confirm on the K.O. time for the 'A's v Jersey game next w/e? Jersey RFC website states Friday 19:30 K.O. Can't find anything on Leinster website.

Agreed. Very poor. Will go with Jersey site info as they would need to organise flights/accom.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:

I'm guessing the venue and time has been decided, just they haven't bothered to update the website.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

I'm guessing the venue and time has been decided, just they haven't bothered to update the website.
Oh I'm sure Jersey are correct, just shoddy they can't be arsed updating it.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/tournaments/br ... xtures.php

This website doesn't even have the day
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

E-mailed the branch and they replied that the game is confirmed for Donnybrook this Friday with a ko of 7.30pm
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:E-mailed the branch and they replied that the game is confirmed for Donnybrook this Friday with a ko of 7.30pm
Cheers
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah Jaysus. Now they tell me, after I bought those Jools tickets from the Doc.
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Why aren't any of these games played down the country in Bray, Kilkenny or even somewhere like Tullow. Yes crowds would be smaller, but the branch is hardly relying on A games for income. Even Munster are doing this.

Surely we should be looking to expand the scope of both our fan-base and playing pool of talent.

Makes a mockery of all that 12 County Army, morketing sh1te.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Anathemata wrote:Why aren't any of these games played down the country in Bray, Kilkenny or even somewhere like Tullow. Yes crowds would be smaller, but the branch is hardly relying on A games for income. Even Munster are doing this.

Surely we should be looking to expand the scope of both our fan-base and playing pool of talent.

They get small enough crowds for these games even in Donnybrook, mostly player's families and mates and few diehards.

Even the final last season in Donnybrook, when the seniors didn't even have a game that weekend, got a fairly miserable crowd.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

playing around the province would be an utter waste of time.
enough money has been spent on donnybrook, let them play away.

only way the game grows more in leinster is the local clubs getting more lads playing and the senior team remaining successful.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Donny B. wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Why aren't any of these games played down the country in Bray, Kilkenny or even somewhere like Tullow. Yes crowds would be smaller, but the branch is hardly relying on A games for income. Even Munster are doing this.

They get small enough crowds for these games even in Donnybrook, mostly player's families and mates and few diehards.

Even the final last season in Donnybrook, when the seniors didn't even have a game that weekend, got a fairly miserable crowd.
The Munster 'A' game a case in point. I turned up at Donnybrook 30 minutes before kick off and thought that I was going to have the Grandstand all to myself! I thought I was 90 minutes early. Even when K.O. time came there were very few in the Grandstand, people seemed to turn up during the game in dribs and drabs. (I'd wish they had come in cars or by Dublin Bus!)
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

I totally agree. Yes crowds might be smaller for the game but the positive feedback Leinster would receive, the extra money in long term they would make, the extra players at age grade clubs may get, etc etc all are reasons for doing it.
Munster have always done it as we never had a specific venue for A games like ye have with Donnybrook
Donny B. wrote:They get small enough crowds for these games even in Donnybrook, mostly player's families and mates and few diehards.

But that's reason enough to move. A Leinster team with perhaps on occasion a top player like a current international and some of the best young players will pull crowds in regardless of the opposition
goreyguy wrote:playing around the province would be an utter waste of time.

only way the game grows more in leinster is the local clubs getting more lads playing and the senior team remaining successful.
Why would it be a waste of time?
Plenty of money was spent on Donnybrook and playing another provincial A game in front of maybe 2000 people there will not make much of a dent in the costs of repaying Donnybrook or be making much of a profit. Leinster would benefit much more from the huge pr they would get from playing in the home clubs of SOB, of Tadhg Furlong. Bring a game to Navan probably the most successful youths rugby program in the country the past few seasons.
That helps grow the game and can aid clubs in getting more youngsters and the not so young to play the sport.
Playing an A game helps grow the game in addition to getting local clubs getting more kids playing and the senior pro side being successful
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

ormond lad wrote:

I totally agree. Yes crowds might be smaller for the game but the positive feedback Leinster would receive, the extra money in long term they would make, the extra players at age grade clubs may get, etc etc all are reasons for doing it.
Munster have always done it as we never had a specific venue for A games like ye have with Donnybrook
Donny B. wrote:They get small enough crowds for these games even in Donnybrook, mostly player's families and mates and few diehards.

But that's reason enough to move. A Leinster team with perhaps on occasion a top player like a current international and some of the best young players will pull crowds in regardless of the opposition
goreyguy wrote:playing around the province would be an utter waste of time.

Why would it be a waste of time?
Plenty of money was spent on Donnybrook and playing another provincial A game in front of maybe 2000 people there will not make much of a dent in the costs of repaying Donnybrook or be making much of a profit. Leinster would benefit much more from the huge pr they would get from playing in the home clubs of SOB, of Tadhg Furlong. Bring a game to Navan probably the most successful youths rugby program in the country the past few seasons.
That helps grow the game and can aid clubs in getting more youngsters and the not so young to play the sport.
Playing an A game helps grow the game in addition to getting local clubs getting more kids playing and the senior pro side being successful
Good to see that we're of the same mind. If we're struggling to get 500 in to see Munster A's in DB, then why not take the risk and stage a game like that somewhere in Kildare - i'd be willing to bet you'd get a nice mix of schoolboys and locals.

From the outside looking in, Munster seems a shambles, but fair dues to them for putting on their A games in Kerry, Waterford and Tipp.

I'm a privately educated Dub, but cannot understand Leinster's middle-class, paler mentality. At the very least stage a couple of A games in Tallaght or Dundalk.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

I'd love for a game to come to Navan. I definately would go and if it was marketed well they could certainly get a couple of thousand in as there are plenty of rugby heads around Navan now.
Not_Today
Bookworm

Post by Not_Today »

Hornet wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

The Munster 'A' game a case in point. I turned up at Donnybrook 30 minutes before kick off and thought that I was going to have the Grandstand all to myself! I thought I was 90 minutes early. Even when K.O. time came there were very few in the Grandstand, people seemed to turn up during the game in dribs and drabs. (I'd wish they had come in cars or by Dublin Bus!)

I was at the Munster B&I cup game in Clonmel and was a bit disappointed with the crowd but was told that it was bigger than what was in Donnybrook the week before.

If numbers are that low then Leinster should consider moving to the provincial towns.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

the age of the A team's backline for the last game was quite young.
SCM was the oldest at 22. Kelleher, A Byrne and O'Loughlin are all 20. Crosbie is 21 and the halfbacks are both only 19.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Not_Today wrote:
Hornet wrote:

I was at the Munster B&I cup game in Clonmel and was a bit disappointed with the crowd but was told that it was bigger than what was in Donnybrook the week before.

If numbers are that low then Leinster should consider moving to the provincial towns.
Clonmel were also quite disappointed with crowd I believe. Had got bigger crowds to previous A games there in Clonmel and were expecting bigger than did turn up. Had talked to someone from Clonmel day after game and he had said annoyed a small bit about promotion of game.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:

To be fair, this email sent out by the branch with the wrong KO time does explain some of that (It was 1PM)

"Leinster A v Munster A

Season Ticket holders can attend the Leinster A vs Munster A friendly in Donnybrook tomorrow free of charge. Gates open at 12pm and kick off is 1.30pm. Just show your Season Ticket card at the gate for access."