Leinster A 2014-2015

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster A 2014-2015

Post by ceemec »

VDF and Marshall play different positions.

Marshall had two appearances at the beginning of the season and was rather anonymous in them. Once Douglas arrived he was always going to be down the pecking order at lock. He's also not going to get ahead of Ruddock, McLaughlin, Murphy etc. at blindside.

McLaughlin is injured at the moment.
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

cormac wrote:Team to face Plymouth Albion tomorrow 3pm

15 Cian Kelleher, 14 Sam Coghlan-Murray, 13 Rory O'Loughlin, 12 Steve Crosbie, 11 Adam Byrne, 10 Ross Byrne, 9 Nick McCarthy; 1 Brian McGovern, 2 Sean McCarthy, 3 Oisin Heffernan, 4 Tom Denton, 5 Gavin Thornbury, 6 Ben Marshall, 7 Peadar Timmins, 8 Jordan Coghlan

16 James Tracy, 17 Ivan Soroka, 18 Ross Molony, 19 Josh Murphy, 20 Adam Griggs, 21 Tom Farrell, 22 Billy Dardis
Have seen quite a number of the above 23 guys playing for Ireland at underage and A's before. Don't really rate many of them and it really puts a question mark around the assertion that we have an endless conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Hope some one digs this (sweeping) statement up in 5 years, but barring a massive long term injury crisis within the senior squad, the only guys I can see pushing for frontline places within that period are Thornbury, Farrell and maybe Dardis, with kelleher as an outside bet.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of Cormac and Ormond Lad, in particular.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

15 Cian Kelleher, 14 Sam Coghlan-Murray, 13 Rory O'Loughlin, 12 Steve Crosbie, 11 Adam Byrne, 10 Ross Byrne, 9 Nick McCarthy; 1 Brian McGovern, 2 Sean McCarthy, 3 Oisin Heffernan, 4 Tom Denton, 5 Gavin Thornbury, 6 Ben Marshall, 7 Peadar Timmins, 8 Jordan Coghlan

16 James Tracy, 17 Ivan Soroka, 18 Ross Molony, 19 Josh Murphy, 20 Adam Griggs, 21 Tom Farrell, 22 Billy Dardis
Has the Jordan Coghlan at centre project been shelved or put on ice?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Not sure mclaughlin is injured as he's not listed on the injured list on the preview on the forum. I just think he has been over taken by rhys, jordi, dippy and now van der flier. Shame for a guy who was a major player for us up to 2 years ago.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

carlow man wrote:Not sure mclaughlin is injured as he's not listed on the injured list on the preview on the forum. I just think he has been over taken by rhys, jordi, dippy and now van der flier. Shame for a guy who was a major player for us up to 2 years ago.
And was deemed good enough to play for Ireland v the All Blacks 11 months ago!!!!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Exactly. Think moc just wants power houses in his pack regardless of their ability to go for 80 mins or do the dirty work. Kev was key for leinster when schmidt was in charge but injuries and the emergence of ruddock and with Ryan able to slot in there has meant that he could end up having to leave to get regular games.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

5-8. 25 mins

Leinster leading
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

now 10-8
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Plymouth 10 A's 11 now. Timmins injured. Coghlan-Murray with the first half try
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

10-18 converted try for Leinster A
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

10-21 another pen for Leinster A

now 10-24 15 mins left
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

third try. 10-31 5 mins left. Ben Marshall got the second try

pen try Albion. 17-31
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

FT 24-31

4 pts for Leinster A

Cian Kelleher with Leinster's third try
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Muchio thanks to the mighty cormac for the updates
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

All Blacks nil wrote:
carlow man wrote:Not sure mclaughlin is injured as he's not listed on the injured list on the preview on the forum. I just think he has been over taken by rhys, jordi, dippy and now van der flier. Shame for a guy who was a major player for us up to 2 years ago.
And was deemed good enough to play for Ireland v the All Blacks 11 months ago!!!!
And was.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The Anathemata wrote:

Have seen quite a number of the above 23 guys playing for Ireland at underage and A's before. Don't really rate many of them and it really puts a question mark around the assertion that we have an endless conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Hope some one digs this (sweeping) statement up in 5 years, but barring a massive long term injury crisis within the senior squad, the only guys I can see pushing for frontline places within that period are Thornbury, Farrell and maybe Dardis, with kelleher as an outside bet.

Kelleher, Crosbie, 2 Byrne's, McCarthy, Heffernan, Thornburg, J Murphy, Molony, Farrell. Players I think will go on to play at higher levels, with a bit if luck. Not sure about the rest.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The Anathemata wrote:

Wouldn't use the above team as a true barometer of our strength in depth, especially in the pack. With everyone in the squad fit you'd have the Byrne twins, Furlong, Leavy, vd Flier and Conan in the A team. I'd expect all of those to make it as professional players. Timing and circumstances may dictate that's not with Leinster but that's not always a fair barometer of their level of talent.

Of the starting backs I'd expect both Byrne's, Crosbie and Kelleher to make it. Haven't seen enough of O'Loughlin to judge and not really sure about McCarthy yet.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

Other than Kelleher and possibly Adam Byrne if he keeps fit, I would not pick any of them out to go on to the next level. Not being harsh just what I see and also do get concerned about the so called level of talent coming through, we do have large numbers in Irish age grade squads but not all will go on to be professionals and the quality of the ones that do are what needs looking at.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

The Anathemata wrote:

I wouldn't be as pessimistic. Still think underage rugby needs a overhaul of sorts but the standard of player coming through is very high. Byrne x 2, Farrell are potentials for frontline places in next 3/4 years. Dardis is a good player but not so sure on him at high levels yet.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »