Leinster v Wasps

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fred Funk
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Wasps

Post by Fred Funk »

They got a run on Bath early on, but even while this was happening they were porous in the 10/12 axis. Bath were just too late (a bit like ourselves) in getting going. We are a better team than Wasps, but we need to get going early. I remember for Joe and Cheks we would be average for the first few weeks of the season and then spring to life for the first european game.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Do you not think its noticeable that our play speeds up and we get on the front foot when he comes on? His passing might be hit and miss, but I do believe that he makes a positive impact.

I respect your opinion on him, but don't understand why Boss gets a free pass.
Boss doesn't get a free pass and I was critical of him in the match thread. He's having a poor season (and was very poor at weekend) but I'd trust him to be able to move the ball to his outhalf more securely than McGrath if called on.

McGrath does bring more energy to the game but I'd be very worried if a bloke coming on for the last 10-15 minutes couldn't do that. As a rule of thumb, it's generally noticeable that a scrum half coming off the bench makes an impact on the game.

McGrath is a great prospect and has a lot of the facets required to be a really good player for us. However, the most basic aspect of his position is lacking. I'll admit that I hyper analyse him because it's the single glaring deficiency in a strong player. If we could guarantee that Reddan can deliver at least 65-70 minutes next week, I'd go for McGrath. But if Reddan has to come off early, I'd be concerned while desperately hoping to eat my words.

I'd be more than happy for McGrath to be selected to start during November but I don't think he's ready for European rugby. It would be a conservative selection on my part but, on the balance of probability, I'd go for Boss whose passing is more solid still.
kingtiger
Beginner

Post by kingtiger »

Hi I generally post over in Munsterfans as being a Munster supporter :) I am also an Irish rugby fan and like to help out Rugby fans that can't see their team play

I will be broadcasting all Cup matches next weekend on Acestream at 2000Kbs, is it okay to post the ID here on Friday evening? for anyone that is interested
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Cianostays wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:If anyone thinks Wasps are a lower level club who are in disarray over the Ricoh arena shenanigans and we'll do them easy would do well to think again.

Their scrum, minus Launchbury, did a number on a quality Bath side today. Both wingers are lethal in attack and showed some uncharacteristically good defending too.

Haskell and Johnson are on good form in the back row and they've an outside centre who can kick effectively from long range (57m on target).

Weaknesses are in the centre, at half back and pretty much the whole bench (and are they interested in Europe?).

If we display the kind of muppetry that Leinster are capable of lately we'll get our arses handed to us.
Wasps were very good defensively in the first half and their scrum strength was a surprise to me. Bath responded well in the 2nd half though (once they'd a full compliment of players) and their bench seemed to be good step down from their first team. If we are within a score of them with 20 mins to go, I'd fancy us to take them. Their key players seem to be Mullan, Launchbury, Johnson, Haskell, Simpson, Wade and Varndell.
Must also be remembered that there was a bigger crowd than usual,the whiole move to Ricoh atmosphere and they were just well up for it although had an early Bath try not been called back it could have been so different and Bath also had 3 men in the bin.Quite like the look of Nathan Hughes and in fact the whole back row were good and Launchbury was not even playing.Bradley Davies put in a good shift also.But still think they have a definite weakness defensively in the backs in many areas .Will be interesting to see who plays also as they made 8 changes from last week away to Sale
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ceemec wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Do you not think its noticeable that our play speeds up and we get on the front foot when he comes on? His passing might be hit and miss, but I do believe that he makes a positive impact.

I respect your opinion on him, but don't understand why Boss gets a free pass.
Boss doesn't get a free pass and I was critical of him in the match thread. He's having a poor season (and was very poor at weekend) but I'd trust him to be able to move the ball to his outhalf more securely than McGrath if called on.

McGrath does bring more energy to the game but I'd be very worried if a bloke coming on for the last 10-15 minutes couldn't do that. As a rule of thumb, it's generally noticeable that a scrum half coming off the bench makes an impact on the game.

McGrath is a great prospect and has a lot of the facets required to be a really good player for us. However, the most basic aspect of his position is lacking. I'll admit that I hyper analyse him because it's the single glaring deficiency in a strong player. If we could guarantee that Reddan can deliver at least 65-70 minutes next week, I'd go for McGrath. But if Reddan has to come off early, I'd be concerned while desperately hoping to eat my words.

I'd be more than happy for McGrath to be selected to start during November but I don't think he's ready for European rugby. It would be a conservative selection on my part but, on the balance of probability, I'd go for Boss whose passing is more solid still.
I don't agree with trusting Boss more but fair enough, that's all I was wondering about.

Clearly I'm a fan of McGrath but I'm not saying he doesn't need to work on his passing btw, not saying he'd solve all our problems if he was picked, just think Boss is playing poorly enough that they should be at least equal in the pecking order at this stage, can't see why Boss is ahead of him. I don't think it's fair to say that he speeds things up off the bench because most scrumhalves tend to do that, he's quick and direct, and if his passing was SUCH a liability then we wouldn't be able to speed up play regardless of his physical attributes or freshness. I wasn't overly disappointed to see Boss on the bench against Munster (although didn't agree with it either) but in hindsight I think it was the wrong call because he doesn't change things when he comes off the bench, offers very little impact. That's probably a moot point given that MOC would persist with Reddan anyway but as I alluded to in another thread, think MOC has totally mismanaged our halfbacks.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

one thing Im looking forward to seeing is Jack McGrath scrummaging, even allowing for injuries hes become the best LH scrummager in the country, availability of Strauss too will help, what we need provincially and nationally is a TH who can keep up
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Cianostays wrote:I don't think it'd be the right move to start Jenno after an injury. Have him come off the bench if and when we need the game sped up.
Wasps back-row yesterday was three big lumps with Haskell in the 7 shirt. If Jenno is fit enough to last 60 minutes then I feel we need to start with him and target them at the rucks.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

simonokeeffe wrote:one thing Im looking forward to seeing is Jack McGrath scrummaging, even allowing for injuries hes become the best LH scrummager in the country, availability of Strauss too will help, what we need provincially and nationally is a TH who can keep up
Well it looks like it won't be Martin Moore until next year.
First choice Loose head, Tight head (probably) and main man in back row all injured till 2015.
I can't remember so many long term injuries to so many key players.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

bronxbull wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:one thing Im looking forward to seeing is Jack McGrath scrummaging, even allowing for injuries hes become the best LH scrummager in the country, availability of Strauss too will help, what we need provincially and nationally is a TH who can keep up
Well it looks like it won't be Martin Moore until next year.
First choice Loose head, Tight head (probably) and main man in back row all injured till 2015.
I can't remember so many long term injuries to so many key players.
unfortunate overlap in injuries from last season DK, Murphy being carried over and the few ones picked up this season
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Will this be the first ever Leinster match covered live on BT sports?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Will this be the first ever Leinster match covered live on BT sports?
It may well be.

I like BT's coverage, the pre-game wandering around chatting to players doing a warm up is a nice touch and I also like the way they talk to coaching people mid-game to get their thoughts on how the game is going.

BOD special on BT this week, Wednesday 9pm for those unaware.

He's also one of BTs commentators for the game so should be good.
Last edited by outcast eddie on October 13th, 2014, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

outcast eddie wrote:
StrangeButBlue wrote:Will this be the first ever Leinster match covered live on BT sports?
It may well be.

I like BT's coverage, the pre-game wandering around chatting to players doing a warm up is a nice touch and I also like the way they talk to coaching people mid-game to get their thoughts on how the game is going.

BoD special on BT this week, Wednesday 9pm for those unaware.

Im on the opposite on that, surely thats a distraction/inconvenience to players and staff, same with interviewing players as they come off at halftime
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

simonokeeffe wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:
It may well be.

BoD special on BT this week, Wednesday 9pm for those unaware.

Im on the opposite on that, surely thats a distraction/inconvenience to players and staff, same with interviewing players as they come off at halftime
A distraction or an opportunity for public personalities to plug/promote/get face time/remind international selectors/display other talents?

I'm sure they're not compelled to do it.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the clubs probably are, maybe not necessarily individual players/staff
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

I have to say I find BT's coverage cringeworthy. The "banter" between Healy and Bayfield/Kay etc being particularly awful. Craig Doyle needs no further comment.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Hello, my name is Craig Doyle?
I start my sentences like this,
and then I finish them like that

Borrowed from Apres Match, and CD himself.
Last edited by StrangeButBlue on October 13th, 2014, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

simonokeeffe wrote:the clubs probably are, maybe not necessarily individual players/staff
The clubs definitely are required to make players available for the Premiership coverage.Presumably they will follow the same format for the European matches.

If you watch all the matches it tends to be the same players so I would guess the clubs have gone through their squads to see who is or isn't willing. I'm not sure I've seen too many of the outhalfs talked to pre match so I would guess they have mostly opted out because of their kicking practice.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

So this team

1. McGrath
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Toner
5. Douglas
6. Ruddock
7. Ryan
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Madigan
11. Fanning...
12. Reid
13. Darcy
14. Kirchner
15. Kearney
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

just watched highlights from Wasps Bath, penalty try wasnt a pushover and only scrum shown (towards end) was Bath demolishing Wasps, more good news for Jack McGrath