Castres v. Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Castres v. Leinster

Post by ceemec »

bronxbull wrote:I would have thought that Dave Kearney was more right footed (he rarely kicks) but I do agree that he is a better footballer than Fanning.
Dave Kearney is, like Rob superb in the air and like Rob he is not exactly a brilliant tackler.
You might well be correct on that one. I assumed left foot for some reason. :?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Fanj carries well into traffic, always takes it back inside and makes yards when he's beside the touchline. That's his best thing IMO. I'd add cleaning up messy ball or loose in behind kicks but is some are some of them not bad positioning on his part to begin with?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
I'd say DK is just as powerful if not able to wield it better, he can roadkill opposition players whereas havent seen fanning do that. DK also quicker and more versatile
DK is powerful and has an ability to bounce a player but I don't think he can make the hard yards that Fanning does repeatedly, tidying up messy ball in traffic after restarts etc. Fanning is superb at that aspect.
simonokeeffe wrote: RE Castres didnt Kockott go off with a knock? Still think theyll rotate half the team for this one again
He went off and wasn't right starting. He walked off though so probably just needs another few days; I'd expect him to be available. Lamerat hasn't played for 2 weeks for them. If he's missing it's a big boost for us as we really struggled with him last season. He was able to waltz through BOD a few times.
If we had a counterattacking strategy again I'd want DK over DF

Cabannes was rested for Quinns and is their other first choice centre too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Internet high 5 and a cheers over the next beer to anyone who hasn't referred to Darragh Fanning as 'Fanj' yet.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Totes.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote:Internet high 5 and a cheers over the next beer to anyone who hasn't referred to Darragh Fanning as 'Fanj' yet.
It's his nickname and Twitter handle, you miserable old sod!

Should everyone stop referring to Gordon D'Arcy as 'Darce' too?
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

hugonaut wrote:
suisse wrote:Internet high 5 and a cheers over the next beer to anyone who hasn't referred to Darragh Fanning as 'Fanj' yet.

Yes. Dev, Jenno, Dom, Locky, Mads, Fitz and Ferg are all banned too ;)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote:

I agree with Hugo, whose handle on here has an offensive 3 syllables!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

DK is not available, Fanning is. - sounds like some of you would drop Fanning for an injured player???? try Fanning against Zebo- one has the X Factor :roll: and one works hard for 80 minutes. Munster may have won the last encounter, but which winger had the better game?

Fanning is becoming a better player. If he is only "one dimensional", he makes sure he does that well.

I wonder is it something to do with being lucky enough to have some superstars in our team over the last few years. A player has to be the next BOD, Rocky, Contepomi, Brad Thorn, or else pulled trees up in schools rugby. Or maybe its because its MOC who picks him?

I'am not in the Fanj Fan Club, he is just a bit underrated here.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

BlueStreak wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Yes. Dev, Jenno, Dom, Locky, Mads, Fitz and Ferg are all banned too ;)
What about Dorce and Dippy? Are they gone too? Surely we can refer to Sean O'Brien as Seanie or SOB though? Ah here it's all falling apart now.... :mullet 1:
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

olaf the fat wrote:DK is not available, Fanning is. - sounds like some of you would drop Fanning for an injured player???? try Fanning against Zebo- one has the X Factor :roll: and one works hard for 80 minutes. Munster may have won the last encounter, but which winger had the better game?

Fanning is becoming a better player. If he is only "one dimensional", he makes sure he does that well.

I wonder is it something to do with being lucky enough to have some superstars in our team over the last few years. A player has to be the next BOD, Rocky, Contepomi, Brad Thorn, or else pulled trees up in schools rugby. Or maybe its because its MOC who picks him?

I'am not in the Fanj Fan Club, he is just a bit underrated here.
I was fortunate enough to hear a well respected coach speak last week about how he had to repair a broken culture when he took over at his present job. Among other things he made the point about selecting players who (cliche alert) 'bought into the jersey' rather than the egotists who were gifted but expected the world to fall at their feet. Think about it, who would you rather work beside, high maintenance superstars or grafters?
Anyway he called this the Tom Brady effect. Tom Brady for those who don't know is a very successful American Football player that just scraped into the professional game but he worked his arse off and achieved greatness.
Is Fanj our Tom Brady, probably not but there's something missing from your character if his rise doesn't bring a smile.Like Brady Fanj's is a media friendly 'underdog does good' story that annoys cynics but good luck to him.

This isn't a direct reply to Olaf, just using his post as a continuation of the Fanj thread.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tales has confirmed hes leaving Castres at seasons end so based on coaches comments last week that means he's now been stripped of the captaincy, might be a bit of disruption for them and hopefully that decreases chances of him playing this weekend
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

hugonaut wrote:

I didn't tell anyone to stop using his nickname.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I've never used it. Considering it now.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Shortening someone's name is a term of endearment, Switzerland.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

It's "The Ginger Lomu", not Fanj, or Fanning.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonno6 wrote:It's "The Ginger Lomu", not Fanj, or Fanning.
Actually, it's Fanjiqiri
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

He is - and always will be - the Ginger Lomu.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

ichabodscrane wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Te'o to the bench or do we reckon that it will be P12 game that will first see him in blue?
P12 I'd imagine. At least if there's a mistake to be mad it won't be highlighted as much as one would be in Europe.
Seem to remember MOC saying Te'o would get some rugby over the two European games. He won't start but maybe on the bench.

Still, can we believe anything MOC says regarding team selection...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cwebber82 wrote:
ichabodscrane wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Te'o to the bench or do we reckon that it will be P12 game that will first see him in blue?
P12 I'd imagine. At least if there's a mistake to be mad it won't be highlighted as much as one would be in Europe.
Seem to remember MOC saying Te'o would get some rugby over the two European games. He won't start but maybe on the bench.

Still, can we believe anything MOC says regarding team selection...
Think he said he'd 'get some on pitch time over the next two weeks'. We have a B&I cup game this weekend though...