Castres v. Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Castres v. Leinster

Post by Morf »

I'd rather lengthen his name Rupeni Fanjfanjnibuca.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

P12 I'd imagine. At least if there's a mistake to be mad it won't be highlighted as much as one would be in Europe.[/quote]

Seem to remember MOC saying Te'o would get some rugby over the two European games. He won't start but maybe on the bench.

Still, can we believe anything MOC says regarding team selection...[/quote]

Think he said he'd 'get some on pitch time over the next two weeks'. We have a B&I cup game this weekend though...[/quote]

Sounds more like what MOC alright. Doubt very much if he would even make the bench against Castres. Too much of a risk regardless of what he looks like in training.

B&I Cup action seems more likely.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

cwebber82 wrote:Sounds more like what MOC alright. Doubt very much if he would even make the bench against Castres. Too much of a risk regardless of what he looks like in training.

B&I Cup action seems more likely.
Plus we should have Rob back which gives us more options in the back line. And I think there may be a slight chance of Luke making a return off the bench. I reckon:

09. Reddan
10. Gopperth
11. Fanning
12. Madigan (would prefer Reid)
13. Darce
14. Kirchner
15. R Kearney

21. Boss (would prefer McGrath)
22. Reid
23. Fitzy
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote: 12. Madigan (would prefer Reid)
Mind me asking why? While I thought Reid was on a roll last season (and am in general very positive about his future), I thought he looked very rusty last weekend and would be concerned with him against that Castres midfield.

Like they did last season, they are going to target our soft midfield defence - sniping through rucks and targeting Gopperth and the 10-12 channel (as there no chance of him being dropped).
Might make sense to play D'Arce there for this one but - as that ain't going to happen - at least he and Madigan have some understanding developed at this point, so stick with that.
What we definitely need to do is stop throwing intercept passes.
If we don't let them build up a 14-0 lead this time, it would definitely be a help. That means keeping things tighter and defending better around the rucks...oh and not missing buckets of tackles again.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote: 12. Madigan (would prefer Reid)
Mind me asking why? While I thought Reid was on a roll last season (and am in general very positive about his future), I thought he looked very rusty last weekend and would be concerned with him against that Castres midfield.

Like they did last season, they are going to target our soft midfield defence - sniping through rucks and targeting Gopperth and the 10-12 channel (as there no chance of him being dropped).
Might make sense to play D'Arce there for this one but - as that ain't going to happen - at least he and Madigan have some understanding developed at this point, so stick with that.
What we definitely need to do is stop throwing intercept passes.
If we don't let them build up a 14-0 lead this time, it would definitely be a help. That means keeping things tighter and defending better around the rucks...oh and not missing buckets of tackles again.
From a defensive point of view I'm not sure there's much at all between Mads and Reid. I suppose I just think Mads isn't going to be a 12 long-term and I'd like to see him get some time at 10. That's less likely to happen if he starts at 12. And Reid will need to be our 12 when the internationals are away so I'd like to see him continue getting game time there. He looked a little rusty on Sunday, but that's to be expected. I'd also expect an improvement in performance this week.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Mads is starting to look a little like James Hook or Shane Geraghty. No one doubts that he's a good player but no one can decide which is his best position. He can be a 10 but can't seem to fully nail down all the whole skill set of a 10, he could be a 12 but same thing. Full back, he can do a job there but he's too far removed from the try line where he is does most damage and tends to creep too close to the gain line in open play. As the old cliche goes though 'you need your best players on the pitch somewhere' and if that's at 12 because he's got more x factor than Reid then so be it.

I do think that he'll spend most of his career as a bench option but I'll be interested to see what Joe's plans are for Mads this Autumn.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:From a defensive point of view I'm not sure there's much at all between Mads and Reid. I suppose I just think Mads isn't going to be a 12 long-term and I'd like to see him get some time at 10. That's less likely to happen if he starts at 12. And Reid will need to be our 12 when the internationals are away so I'd like to see him continue getting game time there. He looked a little rusty on Sunday, but that's to be expected. I'd also expect an improvement in performance this week.
But, from a defensive point of view, Mads has way more time with D'Arcy lately and they seem to have a built up a good understanding.

Reid may need more game time at 12 but this is a make-or-break game, so this is not the time to give people game time but to get the best possible team on the pitch.

For me, that's a backline of Reddan, Madigan, Fanning, Reid, D'Arcy, Kirchner, Kearney or Reddan, Gopperth, Fanning, D'Arcy, Madigan, Kirchner, Kearney...but as that it isn't going to happen, I would go have Madigan ahead of Reid at 12.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

outcast eddie wrote:Mads is starting to look a little like James Hook or Shane Geraghty. No one doubts that he's a good player but no one can decide which is his best position. He can be a 10 but can't seem to fully nail down all the whole skill set of a 10, he could be a 12 but same thing. Full back, he can do a job there but he's too far removed from the try line where he is does most damage and tends to creep too close to the gain line in open play. As the old cliche goes though 'you need your best players on the pitch somewhere' and if that's at 12 because he's got more x factor than Reid then so be it.

I do think that he'll spend most of his career as a bench option but I'll be interested to see what Joe's plans are for Mads this Autumn.
Correct, he needs to be picked in one position and left there. He is in danger of becoming another Jeremy Staunton
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sewa wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:Mads is starting to look a little like James Hook or Shane Geraghty. No one doubts that he's a good player but no one can decide which is his best position. He can be a 10 but can't seem to fully nail down all the whole skill set of a 10, he could be a 12 but same thing. Full back, he can do a job there but he's too far removed from the try line where he is does most damage and tends to creep too close to the gain line in open play. As the old cliche goes though 'you need your best players on the pitch somewhere' and if that's at 12 because he's got more x factor than Reid then so be it.

Correct, he needs to be picked in one position and left there. He is in danger of becoming another Jeremy Staunton
Which is clearly scrum-half.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I gave a bit of a frustrated and emotional response to the performance at the weekend, many quick to jump on. Anywhoo, the team I'd like to see this weekend (NOT what I expect to see)

1. J.McGrath 2. Strauss 3. Ross 4. Toner 5. Douglas 6. Ruddock 7. Ryan 8. Heaslip
9. Reddan 10. Madigan 11. Fitzgerald 12. Reid 13. D'Arcy 14. Kirchner 15. R.Kearney
16. Cronin 17. Bent 18. Furlong 19. McCarthy 20.* Jennings / Murphy / McLoughlin /Conan 21. L.McGrath 22. Gopperth 23. Fanning

20.* = in order of preference depending on availability.

I'd also like Te'o to get a full 80 minutes for the 'A' team in the B&I Cup.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Assuming Ross and Kearney are fit and that Jenno isn't, 1-23: McGrath, Strauss, Ross, Toner, Douglas, Ruddock, Ryan, Heaslip, Reddan, Madigan, Fanning, Reid, D'Arcy, Kirchner, Kearney, Cronin, Bent, Furlong, Mike Mac, Conan, McGrath, Gopperth, Fitz.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

COYBIB wrote:I gave a bit of a frustrated and emotional response to the performance at the weekend, many quick to jump on. Anywhoo, the team I'd like to see this weekend (NOT what I expect to see)

1. J.McGrath 2. Strauss 3. Ross 4. Toner 5. Douglas 6. Ruddock 7. Ryan 8. Heaslip
9. Reddan 10. Madigan 11. Fitzgerald 12. Reid 13. D'Arcy 14. Kirchner 15. R.Kearney
16. Cronin 17. Bent 18. Furlong 19. McCarthy 20.* Jennings / Murphy / McLoughlin /Conan 21. L.McGrath 22. Gopperth 23. Fanning

20.* = in order of preference depending on availability.

I'd also like Te'o to get a full 80 minutes for the 'A' team in the B&I Cup.
That's pretty similar to what you'll see on Sunday. We know Gopperth will be at 10 and Madigan will come in for Reid at 12, with Kearney probably back from injury at 15. Luke won't be risked as a starter (rightly so, your decision there is cracked) so Fanning will be in again. Boss probably ahead of McGrath on the bench. I have a strong feeling he'll start Kane this week after Mike Mac was taken off after an ineffective performance before the 50 minute mark last week. MOC's team won;t be that different to yours.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

I like coybib's team apart from Cronin being dropped for Strauss. I though Sean C was outstanding last Sunday. I don't think there's really any chance Luke will start but it will great if he's good enough to come on and make an impact substitution. Can't see any of Jenno/Jordi or Kev getting back this w/e so it'll have to be Conan on the bench.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Sean C was outstanding :) two crooked throws and one straight over the top to nowhere say otherwise, his striking in the scrum is still appaling too
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I was going to say he was outstanding except for a few dodgy throws (something that hasn't been a feature of his game since about 2011 to be fair). His striking is the scrum is fine most of the time. Bizarre comment.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

His striking in the scrum is deplorable Neil!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:His striking in the scrum is deplorable Neil!
good thing refs have given up on refereeing it

seems to be more of a problem when its reddan feeding him than anyone else
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

For the throws the conditions have to be taken into account. It was blustery as hell. He does seem to try and drive over the ball in the scrum. I reckon he could work on it a little more tbh.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Cianostays wrote:For the throws the conditions have to be taken into account. It was blustery as hell. He does seem to try and drive over the ball in the scrum. I reckon he could work on it a little more tbh.
It's a coaching thing I'd imagine. Brian Moore had a piece in the Telegraph about a year ago criticising the Leicester coaches for refusing to coach their hookers to hook, and instead wanting the scrum to drive over the ball. MOC's probably brought it over. It's yet another example of not valuing technique and skill, and wanting to be overly confrontational instead
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Marco Caputo was a hooker back in the days when they had to hook. I'm sure he's on it.