Castres v. Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Castres v. Leinster

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There was one scrum in particular that I noticed Cronin's leg was out very early and stayed there for a longer than usual. Think we got the ball back but the scrum turned into a mess. The only reason I mention it is because I do think he's trying to fix it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's like he has his foot out for Reddan to bounce the ball off and get it back to the 8.

Back in the day that would have been "foot up" or an early strike. Refs seem to have gone cold on a lot of the "new" scrum laws.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:There was one scrum in particular that I noticed Cronin's leg was out very early and stayed there for a longer than usual. Think we got the ball back but the scrum turned into a mess. The only reason I mention it is because I do think he's trying to fix it.
He's done that a few times. IIRC the ball bounced off his leg and went the wrong way against Glasgow.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Cianostays wrote:For the throws the conditions have to be taken into account. It was blustery as hell. He does seem to try and drive over the ball in the scrum. I reckon he could work on it a little more tbh.
It's a coaching thing I'd imagine. Brian Moore had a piece in the Telegraph about a year ago criticising the Leicester coaches for refusing to coach their hookers to hook, and instead wanting the scrum to drive over the ball. MOC's probably brought it over. It's yet another example of not valuing technique and skill, and wanting to be overly confrontational instead
That's a fairly jaundiced take on it.

There's massive pressure in the front row. Imagine you're doing the one-on-one scrum drill starting from your knees and working your way up to standing – then you have to go on one leg, close your hips and swing your other foot across your body. If the guy you're drilling against times it right, he's going to be able to absolutely plow you. You've intentionally moved from a strong position to a weak position. That's what's happening at scrum time when you try to hook the ball. Tom Youngs talked about it in the Telegraph last year:

“You are probably better off not having the ball for your scrum,” said Youngs. “I can’t see where the advantage now lies. The opposition hooker just has to shove. If it’s my ball I’ve got to decide whether to strike for the ball and risk getting driven backwards. Look, I don’t want to come across as a wimp or as someone whingeing about what went on in the past. But when blokes used to hook for the ball 15 years ago, everyone around him in the scrum was a lot lighter than they are now, probably less powerful, too. Blokes now will routinely leg press 400kg in the gym. [Leicester tight head] Dan Cole does more than that. I’ve got one prop at 121kg one side, the other at 135kg. Even last year, there were times when I just could not lift my leg off the field even if I had wanted to or needed to. It is just not easy, it really isn’t."

[source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -risk.html ]
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Very true. Have a look at Ciaran Fitzgerald. Very small bloke. Hookers and scrum halves used to be tiny. Wingers used to throw the ball into the lineout too but that's another story.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

johng wrote:Very true. Have a look at Ciaran Fitzgerald. Very small bloke. Hookers and scrum halves used to be tiny. Wingers used to throw the ball into the lineout too but that's another story.

Eureka
Something Dave Kearney might be able to do better than Fanning
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Cronin hasn't hooked the ball very often for at least three seasons, since well before MOC got here. Strauss generally does hook.

When there was more attention on the crooked feed problem in the last couple of years, hookers who don't rais a leg were getting caught out from time to time and Cronin was one of those. We can probably all remember some well-contested scrums where the ball just sat there in the middle while we tried to push over it. Refs don't seem as hot on the crooked feed as they were so generally the SH can at least get it under the legs of the front row without getting whistled.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

All Blacks nil wrote:
johng wrote:Very true. Have a look at Ciaran Fitzgerald. Very small bloke. Hookers and scrum halves used to be tiny. Wingers used to throw the ball into the lineout too but that's another story.

Eureka
Something Dave Kearney might be able to do better than Fanning
You are the most subtle of trolls, like Sewa on prozac.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

the spoofer wrote:You are the most subtle of trolls, like Sewa on prozac.
Yeah...like Sewa
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote: Refs don't seem as hot on the crooked feed as they were so generally the SH can at least get it under the legs of the front row without getting whistled.
That's an understatement. After refereeing it quite strictly at the start of last season (the Castres replacement scrummie was binned for it at the RDS), the crooked feed has pretty much come back in like the old days.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Leinster Rugby team to face Castres in the second round of the Champions Cup, Pool 2 on Sunday (Kick Off: 1.00pm Irish Time - live on SKY Sports) has been announced by head coach Matt O'Connor.
Unfortunately the game has come too early for both Mike Ross and Rob Kearney who have not been able to shake off their groin and back injuries suffered late last week, however there was better news for Luke Fitzgerald who starts a first game for Leinster Rugby since March of this year when Leinster hosted Munster in the Aviva Stadium in the PRO12. It will be his 125th appearance for the province.

In total there are three changes to the team that played against Wasps last Sunday with one in the pack and two in the backs, in addition to a number of positional changes to accomodate the returning Fitzgerald.

It is as you were in the front row with three Irish internationals selected from the start in Jack McGrath, Sean Cronin and Michael Bent. The first change is in the second row with Kane Douglas partnering Devin Toner, with Mike McCarthy starting from the bench.

There is no change again in the back row with Rhys Ruddock selected at blindside and Dominic Ryan, a try scorer in the win over Wasps, starting at openside. Jamie Heaslip once again captains the side from No. 8 in what will be his 191st game for Leinster.

The second change sees Isaac Boss starting at scrumhalf instead of Eoin Reddan with Jimmy Gopperth at ten. Outside of them, Ian Madigan moves from full back to inside centre with Gordon D'Arcy again selected in the 13 jersey. Noel Reid who started at 12 last week reverts to the bench.

The final change is on the wing with Luke Fitzgerald coming in on the left wing and Darragh Fanning, who touched down twice in the RDS last Sunday, moving across to the right wing. As a result, Zane Kirchner moves from the right wing to full back.

LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
14. Darragh Fanning
13. Gordon D'Arcy
12. Ian Madigan
10. Jimmy Gopperth
9. Isaac Boss
1. Jack McGrath
2. Sean Cronin
3. Michael Bent
4. Devin Toner
5. Kane Douglas
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Dominic Ryan
8. Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Ed Byrne
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Mike McCarthy
20. Jack Conan
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Noel Reid
23. Mick McGrath

Match Officials:

Referee: Greg Garner (Eng)
Assistant Referees: Andrew Small & Paul Dix (Eng)
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Teams according to ERC site

Castres Olympique V Leinster Rugby

Geoffrey Palis 15 Zane Kirchner
Max Evans 14 Darragh Fanning
Christopher Tuatara 13 Gordon D'Arcy
Romain Cabannes 12 Ian Madigan
Remi Grosso 11 Luke Fitzgerald
Remi Tales (capt) 10 Jimmy Gopperth
Cedric Garcia 9 Isaac Boss
Saimone Taumoepeau 1 Jack McGrath
Brice Mach 2 Sean Cronin
Ramiro Herrera 3 Michael Bent
Richie Gray 4 Devin Toner
Rodrigo Capo Ortega 5 Kane Douglas
Piula Faasalele 6 Rhys Ruddock
Yannick Caballero 7 Dominic Ryan
Jannie Bornman 8 Jamie Heaslip (capt)
Replacements
Mathieu Bonello 16 Richardt Strauss
Mihaita Lazar 17 Ed Byrne
Yohan Montes 18 Tadhg Furlong
Christophe Samson 19 Mike McCarthy
Mathieu Babillot 20 Jack Conan
Romain Martial 21 Eoin Reddan
Julien Dumora 22 Noel Reid
Antoine Dupont 23 Mick McGrath
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

The scrum could be the difference in this game. Bent did well against Wasps but Castres scrum is a whole lot better.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

No Lamarrat, Kockott or whatsisname in the backrow
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:No Lamarrat, Kockott or whatsisname in the backrow
Diarra it was - he played merry hell with the breakdown last year
I have Bumbleflex
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Good to see Castres resting all their prime players.

Already lost interest it appears, as per usual.

Should be an easy walkover.
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Kockott walked off in some discomfort last week, so either not fit or they're not risking him.

Not sure if Diarra picked up an injury or they're wrapping him in cotton wool for the Top 14.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Sick of Leinsters bullshit injury reports.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
14. Darragh Fanning
13. Gordon D'Arcy
12. Ian Madigan
11. Luke Fitzgerald
10. Jimmy Gopperth :happy clapper:
9. Isaac Boss :happy clapper:
1. Jack McGrath
2. Sean Cronin
3. Michael Bent
4. Devin Toner
5. Kane Douglas
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Dominic Ryan
8. Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Ed Byrne
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Mike McCarthy
20. Jack Conan
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Noel Reid
23. Mick McGrath
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I put their first choice players in bold, serious tight forwards to come on but think you can see how seriously theyre taking this eg look at backrow, normally one of Bornman/Caballero in the squad but thats it, the guy at openside was in the second row last week

Castres Olympique

Geoffrey Palis 15
Max Evans 14

Christopher Tuatara 13
Romain Cabannes 12
Remi Grosso 11
Remi Tales (capt) 10
Cedric Garcia 9
Saimone Taumoepeau 1
Brice Mach 2
Ramiro Herrera 3
Richie Gray 4