Leinster vs Bath

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Leinster vs Bath

Post by curates_egg »

Early, I know, but we will have information to drip into the thread - logistics, injuries, recoveries etc.

One first question: anyone know when they will decide what day it is on?
I have heard rumours of the Friday but when is it actually decided?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster vs Bath

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:Early, I know, but we will have information to drip into the thread - logistics, injuries, recoveries etc.

As it's so early I'll introduce a bit of heresy ie ignore the fact that we have to beat Bath first.
Leinster's mantra should be to regard this game as preparation for taking on Toulon in the Semi.
To beat Toulon we have to do at least the following-.
1. Get as close to parity up front as possible, particularly in the scrum. Applies to Bath game anyway.
2. Prepare and practice tactics regarding how we will nullify or seriously reduce Armitage's impact at the breakdown.
3. Not kick away possession. Applies to Bath game anyway.
4. Improve our passing thru the hand. Applies to Bath game anyway.
5. Aggressive defence and line speed. Applies to Bath game anyway.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I have only two things to say....

COME ON LEINSTER!!!!

And Bath are very beatable.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I'm looking forward to the Sam Burgess - Ben Te'o face off in mid-field.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

outcast eddie wrote:I'm looking forward to the Sam Burgess - Ben Te'o face off in mid-field.
Yeah, for all the hype Burgess is getting T'eo has largely gone under the radar. Hopefully he has a bit of chip on the shoulder and puts Sam to shame! :D
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

curates_egg wrote:Early, I know, but we will have information to drip into the thread - logistics, injuries, recoveries etc.

I had considered raising this topic yesterday to divert from the Toulon discussion. This gives us plenty of time to go around in a few circles, reinvent a few wheels and still get no closer to the eventual tactics or selection on the day.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Fireworks wrote:

I had considered raising this topic yesterday to divert from the Toulon discussion. This gives us plenty of time to go around in a few circles, reinvent a few wheels and still get no closer to the eventual tactics or selection on the day.
I know. I actually am interested to know when we find out the date of the QF but I have booked my flights home anyway.

An interesting side story for me will be Stringer playing in Landsdowne Road for the first time in 4 years.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Te'o may not get selected at all!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Stringer must be closing in on record HC appaearances, him and Hines only two in top 10 still playing

ROG on 110 they have Stringer listed as 99 but not sure how to date that is, he had 90 for Munster, a spell at Sarries and two and a half years at bath now
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Stringer must be closing in on record HC appaearances, him and Hines only two in top 10 still playing

ROG on 110 they have Stringer listed as 99 but not sure how to date that is, he had 90 for Munster, a spell at Sarries and two and a half years at bath now
So, just one more possible for this season to beat ROG! :wink:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Stringer also contracted to 2016. He'll be 39 by the end of that year.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

When you never had pace or strength to begin with, you have nothing to lose by playing into your late 30's I suppose.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Leinster Rugby not gone on the idea of a Good Friday kick off:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.2080333
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

neiliog93 wrote:Te'o may not get selected at all!
Very likely he won't, but he has a good run of games to prove himself now with everyone and their mother in the 6n squad.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

neiliog93 wrote:When you never had pace or strength to begin with, you have nothing to lose by playing into your late 30's I suppose.
Bit harsh, think he has excellent pace. He's never late to a ruck and he's always been a stereotypically nippy bugger. Hope to see him play into his 40s! Would he be the first back to play pro rugby in his 40s?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

John23 wrote:Leinster Rugby not gone on the idea of a Good Friday kick off:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.2080333
I saw that.
When do the powers that be decide though? Anyone know?
Presumably there will be more stuff they will make up on the fly.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

AdamK wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:I'm looking forward to the Sam Burgess - Ben Te'o face off in mid-field.
Yeah, for all the hype Burgess is getting T'eo has largely gone under the radar. Hopefully he has a bit of chip on the shoulder and puts Sam to shame! :D
I hope they pick burgess for your guys sakes, a midfield of ford eastmond and joseph is far more of a threat.

I thought Bath were excellent vs Tolouse but v average vs Glasgow, who apart from the Scrum were the better team all game long.

Bath have a very solid front 5 , Wilson And Atwood especially seem to be really on their game, not so sure their back row is all that tbh and Ford is a very average goal kicker it's certainly winnable.

I'd feel a lot more confident when I see Healy and SOB on your team sheet

Good luck though guys, keep flying the pro 12 flag in the face anglo/French bully boys
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

JB1973 wrote:
AdamK wrote:
I hope they pick burgess for your guys sakes, a midfield of ford eastmond and joseph is far more of a threat.

I thought Bath were excellent vs Tolouse but v average vs Glasgow, who apart from the Scrum were the better team all game long.

Bath have a very solid front 5 , Wilson And Atwood especially seem to be really on their game, not so sure their back row is all that tbh and Ford is a very average goal kicker it's certainly winnable.

I'd feel a lot more confident when I see Healy and SOB on your team sheet

Good luck though guys, keep flying the pro 12 flag in the face anglo/French bully boys
Don't think you are too far off the money here though i don't believe from quite a few games I've seen this year that Eastmond and Joseph are so outstanding and their back row even with Louw were pulled around by a Glasgow back row which had a hooker and centre at 7 and 8 and in fact the Hooker/7 was probably the best backrower on the field in his first European game.Ford's kicking is not good enough and I seriouslty believe this is as very good draw for us
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bath still have a very inexperienced backline especially when it comes to big cup games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

AdamK wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:When you never had pace or strength to begin with, you have nothing to lose by playing into your late 30's I suppose.
Bit harsh, think he has excellent pace. He's never late to a ruck and he's always been a stereotypically nippy bugger. Hope to see him play into his 40s! Would he be the first back to play pro rugby in his 40s?
It'd be cool if he managed it. Sireli Bobo isn't 40 yet but is contracted to play until he's 42 (amazing for an outside back). Simon Shaw was 40 when he retired I think. Tana Umaga retired at 34 but was definitely over 40 when playing in one his mini-comebacks.

What I meant by pace was sprint speed, in the sense that as players move further into their 30's they might not have the same 'top speed sprint' of old. Stringer was never a 9 who made breaks in the way a Genia or a Care does. He's unbelievably aerobically fit and intelligent which are great attributes allowing to play on for so long, and also meaning he's rarely late to a breakdown.