McQuilkan returns as interim defense coach

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

McQuilkan returns as interim defense coach

Post by Dave Cahill »

Kurt McQuilkin is to take up a temporary role for July and August as defence coach with Leinster.
The former Leinster and Irish centre, and one-time defensive coach with the province, has stepped down as head coach with his home province in New Zealand, King Country Rams, to take up the two-month contract, which suggests his return could eventually lead to something more permanent.
McQuilkin, who won five caps for Ireland in the 1995-96 season and played 40 times for Leinster, has been on the coaching circuit since his retirement from playing in 1999. In his second of two seasons as Leinster’s defensive coach, 2008-09, the province had the best-ranked defence in the Heineken Cup, which they won, and the best in the Magners League, when they finished third.
The deal is believed to have been brokered by his ex-team-mate Niall Woods through his sports agency Navy Blue. The nature of McQuilkin’s short-term deal working alongside Leo Cullen, the interim head coach following Matt O’Connor’s departure, also indicates that Leinster are in no rush to appoint a full-time replacement as head coach.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/l ... -1.2240975
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: McQuilkan returns as interim defense coach

Post by johng »

:happy clapper: Yeah Buddy!

So Bails seeing him in Kielys (or was that me?) on the lash was prescient. :lol:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I like it! :-)

Jonny, Isa, Kurt....getting the band back together.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

We're on a mission from God :wink:

Great news.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Nice one, was right up there on my wish list
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I will look on this as the start of the good news. Wonder why it is for 2 months. Will it be extended. Is the extension dependent on who the new coach is.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fireworks wrote:I will look on this as the start of the good news. Wonder why it is for 2 months. Will it be extended. Is the extension dependent on who the new coach is.
I'd say that's the case. Any new coach though would be crazy not to want him, especially considering his record in his previous tenure.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Huzzah
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I wonder - as Kiss is currently the defense coach for Ireland, will McQuilkan replace him when Kiss takes over at Ulster full time (after the WC)?
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ChrisUppy wrote:I wonder - as Kiss is currently the defense coach for Ireland, will McQuilkan replace him when Kiss takes over at Ulster full time (after the WC)?
Noooooooooo. Please say no. Though it is has an annoying logic to it.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fireworks wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:I wonder - as Kiss is currently the defense coach for Ireland, will McQuilkan replace him when Kiss takes over at Ulster full time (after the WC)?
Noooooooooo. Please say no. Though it is has an annoying logic to it.
Shag it.... it bloody does, doesn't it? :(
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I'd be delighted if he stays on with us permanently. I always tend to keep up with him in NZ, he writes some articles for local papers at times (including Irish papers too) and he's an absolute nerd when it comes to defence systems. Hopefully he's still able to keep up with the game in how it's evolved over the years since he's coached at this level.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

to further your claim King Country (who McQuilkan is head coach of) have their first fixture August 22nd, so hes not going back to that job if hes here July & August

suddenly this team Ireland business isnt so great is it, although great appointment
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
to further your claim King Country (who McQuilkan is head coach of) have their first fixture August 22nd, so hes not going back to that job if hes here July & August

suddenly this team Ireland business isnt so great is it, although great appointment
I can't imagine he'd have given up a head coaching job to return for a few months to a position he held 6 years ago.

The appointment seems part of a grander plan.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Delighted with this. He was brilliant before and no reason he can't be again.

It's a pity about the two month element and that does worry me (ChrisUppy could well be right above) but he can still improve us. Hopefully it signals that we want a larger coaching ticket this time, regardless of MOC's abilities or lack thereof, he took on an awful lot and that never say comfortably with me. I'd also be worried that it means we haven't a rashers who our next coach is going to be, but at least we're improved for the short term.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Presume the temporary nature to this is just in case a top head coach would want his own guy, but guessing the intention is to keep him around - which would be great.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Very happy to have Kurt back involved, seems strange to bring him back on a two month deal to coach defence when the season is over and most lads will be on holidays!

Not sure what to read into it, I don't see the point on hiring him with a view to making it permanent if a new head coach decides he wants to keep him on? I don't know. That's how most here see it it seems, my first impression was more that he is plan B - put on the payroll for now and if whatever candidates they're chasing don't work out, he could be bumped up to head coach....

It's one way of looking at it. I'd definitely like him to be involved in the coaching team for next season, not sure as a head coach though as my initial impression was he's given two months put on stand by.

On a side note, was this ever confirmed by Leinster? Only the IT ran with the story, maybe it wasn't for public knowledge, which might add to the theory that he's been put on stand by?
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

BlueWheels wrote:Press release from Leinster:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13655.php#.VX6kFrFONAg
Also confirms Girve will be in place as backs coach.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Kinger83 wrote:
Also confirms Girve will be in place as backs coach.
:mrgreen: