European Opposition 2015 - 2016

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

European Opposition 2015 - 2016

Post by IanD »

Read this yesterday. Wasps money getting spent already with 9 new signings.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/33021945

James Johnston: Wasps sign Saracens' Samoan tighthead prop

Wasps have made their ninth signing ahead of the 2015-16 season by signing Samoan international James Johnston from Premiership champions Saracens.
The 29-year-old tighthead prop, who has won 14 caps for Samoa, had been in discussions with Premiership side Sale.
But he has now opted instead to sign for Wasps, who were able to offer the greater lure of playing in the European Champions Cup.
"When Wasps came in for me, I had no hesitation," Johnston said.
"Having watched the changes the club have made in the past few seasons it is clear that Wasps are going places and I am really excited about being involved.
"There are clear ambitions for both the Premiership and the European Champions Cup and I'm really looking forward to being a part of that."
New Zealand-born Johnston joined Saracens in 2013 after four years at Harlequins, who he helped to the Premiership title in 2012.
Despite featuring 14 times for Sarries in the league during 2014-15, he was not in the matchday squad that beat Bath in the final.
"We've always been impressed with his performances against us, whether in a Saracens or a Harlequins shirt," said Wasps director of rugby Dai Young. "His addition provides us with real depth and competition at tighthead, which is what you need at this level of the game."

New signings for Wasps, 2015-16
Forwards: George Smith (Lyon), Tom Bristow (Leicester), James Johnston (Saracens)
Backs: Jimmy Gopperth (Leinster), Dan Robson (Gloucester), Jamie Stevenson (London Scottish), Brendan Macken, James Downey (Glasgow Warriors), Frank Halai (Auckland Blues)

Quick return for Gopperth and Macken.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Re: European Opposition 2015 - 2016

Post by IanD »

And of course Paul O'Connell will get another game in the Aviva.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

only 3 of those signings are of any use and when you look at the list of players that have gone out as well theyre not that much stronger

plus factor in they now have Gopperth at 10
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:only 3 of those signings are of any use and when you look at the list of players that have gone out as well theyre not that much stronger

I think you're being kind with 3
I have Bumbleflex
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

simonokeeffe wrote:only 3 of those signings are of any use and when you look at the list of players that have gone out as well theyre not that much stronger

Gopperth far better than fat Andy
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

not sure if it is wide spread news but was told toby falatau is signing for bath as well
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

nopeare wrote:not sure if it is wide spread news but was told toby falatau is signing for bath as well
Any idea when the first 4 rounds are announced as it took ages last year?
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Halai and George Smith the only HC quality players there, the rest are just fodder for the GP, even at that, Halai is not a great footballer, power pace size.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No idea now true this is but I read on PR that Faletau was going to sign a dual contract but the WRU would only give it to him if he moved to the Ospreys. He said no and then Bath offered big money to buy him out of his Dragons contract.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

James Johsnton a good signing too

not huge depth in their squad in general but its a decent 1st choice 23 except at 10

lets not forget we could well be facing a bath team with a halfback combo of Matawalu and Priestland :D
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Halai tore his ACL recently in a club game in NZ too I think so he may not be around for it (6-9 month recovery).

Toulon after the WC will be a much better team I reckon; Nonu, POC, Manoa, Cooper, JOC, Peliesse (Montpellier SH) & Vermuelan to name a few are all going to them!

Bath signing Matawalu and Priestland plus others!

This is a nightmare of a group but surely this Leinster side with Sexton and hopefully a big signing after the WC cant be as bad as they were last season.

Nice trip to France maybe!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

flustered wrote:Halai tore his ACL recently in a club game in NZ too I think so he may not be around for it (6-9 month recovery).

Toulon after the WC will be a much better team I reckon; Nonu, POC, Manoa, Cooper, JOC, Peliesse (Montpellier SH) & Vermuelan to name a few are all going to them!

This is a nightmare of a group but surely this Leinster side with Sexton and hopefully a big signing after the WC cant be as bad as they were last season.

I thought Cooper had decided not to stay in Australia?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
flustered wrote:Halai tore his ACL recently in a club game in NZ too I think so he may not be around for it (6-9 month recovery).

I thought Cooper had decided not to stay in Australia?
think thats up in the air, theyre trying to get him to stay
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

There are 9 European Cups shared amongst the teams of group 5. One less than the rest of the entire competition combined. So, you know....every cloud...sort of...
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

flustered wrote: Bath signing Matawalu and Priestland plus others!
I doubt either will see much pitch time against us - some might say sadly...
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Stringer and Young both left this summer so Matawalu looks to be 2nd choice scrumhalf at worst behind Chris Cook, a strange signing in general, they were already quite strong in back 3 too
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Stringer and Young both left this summer so Matawalu looks to be 2nd choice scrumhalf at worst behind Chris Cook, a strange signing in general, they were already quite strong in back 3 too
I'd say that once Mike Ford gets a close look at his 'unique' decision making, it'll be 2nd choice at best for him. They've also signed a young lad from the Dragons who is pretty decent
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Mike Ford seems to like giving George lots of freedom so can definitely see Matawalu thriving. With that said, if we go to the rec on the last day and are behind and he comes on then happy days. He makes mindblowingly bad decisions in pressure situations but the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I realised after writing that that I'd basically invented a steady scrumhalf in the Bath squad. Had it in my head that he was being signed to complement a steady Eddie, not to be first choice, that is a poor decision in fairness. I know they signed him ages ago but the premiership final should make them realise that they need an experienced thinker at 9. Homer is talented but doesn't fit that bill and I could see them buying someone else.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

IanD wrote:And of course Paul O'Connell will get another game in the Aviva.
why do you think it will be Toulon in Lansdowne Road?