First choice Leinster matchday squad '15/'16

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Re: First choice Leinster matchday squad '15/'16

Post by AdamK »

The last time Reid was in charge of the kicking tee in the rds was not good... I'd say it was probably just an off day but I can't really see him being a viable kicking option for us... Nor would he be with sexton and Madigan in the team.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Madigan should be switched to Munster. He is wasted at Leinster - first and second best 10s in Ireland there.
As a 10 there Munster would be a good shot to win the Heineken.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I get the sense that a) Madigan is the type of guy who'd like to give it a shot abroad and b) not the type of guy who'd like to go to Munster. Just look at his hair.

At any rate, I'd say he will end up being selected at 12 this season. He himself and others on the forum have mooted him as a 9 and I don't see why not giving it a go with Reddan and Boss seriously old at this stage.

9.Reddan 10.Sexton 12.Madigan 13.Te'o 14.McFadden/DK

11.Luke 15.RK

21.Boss 22.Nacewa 23.DK/McFadden/Kirchner

As for the forwards, as good as Cronin has been, I agree that Strauss might challenge him. He's looked back to his best in pre-season games, finally fully recovered from niggling injuries and the heart issue. His throwing and work around the park is excellent. Will be an interesting battle, and Cronin's occasional (but overplayed) throwing wobbles and indeed his impact off the bench might actually work against him.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Raydollard wrote:Madigan should be switched to Munster. He is wasted at Leinster - first and second best 10s in Ireland there.
2nd best OH in Ireland is in Ulster... while Ireland are loving Madigan to be a utility player, so I imagine he'll stay at Leinster where he'll get plenty of experience at 10, 12, 15 and 22.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

AdamK wrote:
Raydollard wrote:Madigan should be switched to Munster. He is wasted at Leinster - first and second best 10s in Ireland there.
2nd best OH in Ireland is in Ulster... while Ireland are loving Madigan to be a utility player, so I imagine he'll stay at Leinster where he'll get plenty of experience at 10, 12, 15 and 22.
Doubt he will see much of 15 and he won't play much 10 either if he stays as 1st choice 22 for Ireland.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Well I think he'll have to play more at 10 for Leinster this season than Sexton will.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

AdamK wrote:Well I think he'll have to play more at 10 for Leinster this season than Sexton will.
Well if he is missing for all the RWC and most of the 6 nations he won't be playing 10 for Leinster then.
I'm assuming Sexton will be available for all european games, so in the pro 12 games Sexton isn't available for he could end up playing 10 for Leinster however many games that will be.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

goreyguy wrote:
AdamK wrote:Well I think he'll have to play more at 10 for Leinster this season than Sexton will.
Well if he is missing for all the RWC and most of the 6 nations he won't be playing 10 for Leinster then.
I'm assuming Sexton will be available for all european games, so in the pro 12 games Sexton isn't available for he could end up playing 10 for Leinster however many games that will be.

Well no AIs this season I reckon Madigan is set to play a lot of rugby. In fairness the IRFU never had any issues with the bench warmers being used a lot. Can't see much faith being put in with Marsh or Byrne this season atleast.

It'll be interesting to see if Isa is used at 10.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

AdamK wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Jesus I hope not, if Madigan is going to be the primary backup hopefully one of the young outhalves is invested in. Should be interesting to see who starts at during the RWC.
Crosbie is being looked at there too it would appear, his all round kicking game is poor though. Ross Byrne is the long term answer regardless of who plays during the RWC.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Wouldn't be a big fan of it myself, but the management might look at it as a safer option.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I really don't think we even need Isa at 10, it would be a mistake.
Firstly, Marsh really deserves a shot at this stage, but also, Isa basically plays as a second 10 anyway when he's coming from full back - filling in on non kicking plays and when the nominal 10 is out of position.

As a famous man once said, 'all I am saying is give ginger a chance!'
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That was a beautiful skip pass in the Ulster match by Marsh past Teo and Reid to put Adam Byrne in in the corner.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

AdamK wrote:Well no AIs this season I reckon Madigan is set to play a lot of rugby. In fairness the IRFU never had any issues with the bench warmers being used a lot. Can't see much faith being put in with Marsh or Byrne this season atleast.

If we're to assume that Mads is in the first choice Ireland 23 (which at the moment he is) then he won't be available a huge amount more than Sexton will. And when Sexton is available he will start. I can't see Mads getting many starts at 10 this season. The question becomes whether or not he benches at 22 with Marsh falling completely out of the squad on the big days, which I reckon is fairly likely. We're probably looking at something like this when the internationals are away (ignoring any current injury issues):

E Byrne B Byrne Furlong
Denton McCarthy
Locky Conan Ruddock

McGrath Marsh
Reid Te'o
D Kearney Nacewa McFadden

Tracy/Dundon, Dooley, Hagan, Kearney, Ryan/Leavy/VDF, McCarthy, Byrne, Kirchner/Crosbie

And when the internationals are back:

Healy Cronin Ross
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Reddan Sexton
Reid Te'o
Fitzgerald R Kearney Nacewa

Strauss, McGrath, Moore, Kearney/Denton, Locky, Boss/McGrath, Madigan, D Kearney/McFadden/Kirchner

Looking at that I reckon Ferg could do well to consider a move back to 12. The back 3 is too well stocked at the moment and Reid/Te'o simply can't start every game for Leinster. Mads could spend some time there too, but he wants to play 10 and Ferg is a handy enough 12.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Not sure why Locky would be ahead of Murphy on the bench or Conan for that matter.
Can't see Ferg moving back to centre or Reid being ahead of Madigan at 12 bar a massive step up in performance levels.
Hopefully McGrath can push on and become 2nd choice SH at least.
Rather see Leavy/JVDF play 7, with Ruddock/Ryan/Locky at 6 during WC.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:Not sure why Locky would be ahead of Murphy on the bench or Conan for that matter.
Can't see Ferg moving back to centre or Reid being ahead of Madigan at 12 bar a massive step up in performance levels.
Hopefully McGrath can push on and become 2nd choice SH at least.
Rather see Leavy/JVDF play 7, with Ruddock/Ryan/Locky at 6 during WC.
If Locky can get past his injury issues and re-find some form then he could end up ahead of Murphy I reckon.

I'm also not sold on Mads at 12 at all. I think Reid could develop a nice little partnership with Te'o over the next little while.

And during the RWC Locky has been named captain so will start at 6. Depending on what happens thereafter he will likely be kept on as captain when the internationals are away and Ruddock when fit has got to start. Unless you drop Locky for Rhys and give Rhys the captaincy?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not having a go at him because he always gives his best and has been wrecked by injuries, but when was the last time Locky played well consistently? I think he's a good choice for captain right now, just curious.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Also, Locky can only play 6 (albeit he's a very good 6 with specific skills), while Jordi can play across the backrow.
If there was an injury to Jamie (god forbid!) for example, we'd end up with SOB, Locky and Ruddock as our backrow. Not sure that's a good option.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not having a go at him because he always gives his best and has been wrecked by injuries, but when was the last time Locky played well consistently? I think he's a good choice for captain right now, just curious.
The last time he had a bit of a run was the end of 2013 wasn't it? He came on against NZ in that game and had a very good performance. He's been injured pretty much constantly since. But generally when he's gotten a run of games in he's been very good for us. Maybe I'm just a little slow to forget that and am being a bit sentimental.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not having a go at him because he always gives his best and has been wrecked by injuries, but when was the last time Locky played well consistently? I think he's a good choice for captain right now, just curious.
The last time he had a bit of a run was the end of 2013 wasn't it? He came on against NZ in that game and had a very good performance. He's been injured pretty much constantly since. But generally when he's gotten a run of games in he's been very good for us. Maybe I'm just a little slow to forget that and am being a bit sentimental.
since the start of 2014 the majority of games he has played in, he has not been very good.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Best team excluding players going to world cup (obviously speculating...)
1. E.Byrne 2. B.Byrne 3. Furlong 4. Denton 5. McCarthy 6. McLaughlin 7. Ryan 8. Conan
9. L.McGrath 10. Marsh 11. D.Kearney 12. Reid 13. Te'o 14. McFadden 15. Nacewa
16. Dundon 17. Hirst 18. Hagan 19. Thornbury 20. VDF/Leavy 21. McCarthy 22. R.Byrne 23. Kelleher/Dardis/A.Byrne/Ringrose

Assuming Ruddock and Mick Kearney are long term injuries? Any idea when those two might be back?

Of the squad as a whole, when all are available:
1. Healy 2. Cronin 3. Ross 4. McCarthy 5. Toner 6. Ruddock 7. O'Brien 8. Heaslip
9. Reddan 10. Sexton 11. Fitzgerald 12. Madigan 13. Te'o 14. Nacewa 15. R.Kearney
16. Strauss 17. J.McGrath 18. Moore 19. M.Kearney 20. Murphy 21. L.McGrath 22.McFadden 23. D.Kearney

So, in my opinion, we will have 6 from our best match day 23 available for the world cup period:
Three starters: McCarthy, Te'o & Nacewa
And three bench players: L.McGrath, McFadden, D.Kearney
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.