McLaughlin to captain Leinster during RWC

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

McLaughlin to captain Leinster during RWC

Post by goreyguy »

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13766.php

Good news for Kev and certainly the most experienced forward who will be around during the RWC, not sure he should be certain of a starting spot especially if Ruddock return during RWC.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: McLaughlin to captain Leinster during RWC

Post by riocard911 »

What with the competition in the back row - e.g. van der Flier, Leavy & Conan, and that's even before the int'ls bet back - I could see Locky moving longterm into the second row. We need leadership in the boilerroom.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Is there a timeframe for Ruddocs return yet

Ah think we've enough short locks as it is
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mauler72
Learner

Post by mauler72 »

For the last 2 years, every time MOC used the word "Environment", I flinched. I always thought it made the dressing room/training sound very sterile and unfriendly, and that he had no personal relationship with the players.

Leo's first official quote as coach, and its slipped in again. Hopefully only "muscle-memory".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mauler72 wrote:For the last 2 years, every time MOC used the word "Environment", I flinched. I always thought it made the dressing room/training sound very sterile and unfriendly, and that he had no personal relationship with the players.

Leo's first official quote as coach, and its slipped in again. Hopefully only "muscle-memory".
Joe Schimdt in July wrote:"It has been great to be involved in such a player-driven environment, along with such a skilled and positive staff to support them in their quest to be as competitive as possible."
Joe Schimdt in June wrote:"The challenge in our team environment is that we help each other - that we make the job easier for each other."
Joe Schimdt in May wrote:"But it was even good to have them in the environment to see them train and to see how well they’ve fitted in."
Joe Schimdt in April wrote:"when they come into your environment try to progress them in that position as best you can"
etc.

Looks like you've had a bad few months
I have Bumbleflex
mauler72
Learner

Post by mauler72 »

Dave Cahill wrote: etc.

It must only apply when said in an Australian accent :?
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Agree with Riocard in that Locky could see out his career in the row. He's the same height as Mike McCarthy and he'll probably start to struggle with keeping up with the the pace of backrow soon.

I don't agree that we have locks. Especially now with Kane gone, we have just Mike Mc (who has been carrying an injury for some time I believe and has been visibly slowing down), Denton, Kearney (injured) and academy/development lads during the world cup. There is definitely a hole there.

McLaughlin has always been a big tackler and excellent in the lineout and could use this as an opportunity to really focus latter. If he adapted well I could see him becoming a first choice partner to Toner and would add a lot of experience and dog to the pack.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Difference for me is McCarthy is significantly heavier (and more beligerant), Locky said before when he bulked up to cover row more it affected his general play, but 6'4 is very short for a lock these days, Kearney only 6'5 too
Last edited by simonokeeffe on August 20th, 2015, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote: "Environment",

environment,
team environment
in the environment
into your environment

etc.

Me too! All the environmental talk from Team Ireland has given me a bad taste in the mouth and a case of the worries wondering will the team be all talk about how great the environment is and stink up the pitch!
<shudder>
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I know the 'environment' word gets a bit of a bashing, probably for overuse, but it's a fairly accurate term in what coaches are trying to describe. Anyone who's been apart of a squad for competitive sport knows what they mean. There's a bubble there, unwritten bylaws, senior voices and new voices, egos and characters. It's very much an intangible thing, but the word environment describes it perfectly.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Which particular environment is Leo referring to is the real issue.
Is it an inclusive environment where young players are encouraged.
Or is it the MOC environment where young players were excluded .
Which environment best describes Joe's approach.
And most important whither Leo.
Are we in for climate change or melt down.
When does the silly season end btw?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.