A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting.
https://www.newstalk.com/sport/manu-tui ... ut-1038902

Reads as if he (and the others) didn't accept a pay cut.

Wonder is there a bit of space to bring him back in on a contract now that Tomane is off the books. Didn't see much of him this season but it didn't seem to be going that well.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

wixfjord wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:51 am Interesting.

Wonder is there a bit of space to bring him back in on a contract now that Tomane is off the books. Didn't see much of him this season but it didn't seem to be going that well.
I was reading that going, he wants us to sign Tuilagi wtf :lol:

Then I got to the end phew. Think they were sticking Reid in at 10 early in the season in a struggling team. Tough on him. I would prefer Tomane's (who I would have been happy to keep) games to go to the three O'Brien's at this stage and hopefully Hawkshaw pushes on. I like Reid but we have not looked back without him. He would be a great signing for Connacht who perpetually lack depth and he could actually push through there to be first choice there where he would be battling with Tom farrell, Tom Daly and Peter Robb to partner Bundee on the big games, three guys he saw out the door at Leinster.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Noel Reid apparently out of contract in Leicester.............I wonder is that so he can just get out of dodge !!!!

Time to start a 'one more year' campaign to get him home after of course he has self isolated for 14 days........................
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote: July 1st, 2020, 10:43 am
wixfjord wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:51 am Interesting.

I was reading that going, he wants us to sign Tuilagi wtf :lol:

Then I got to the end phew. Think they were sticking Reid in at 10 early in the season in a struggling team. Tough on him. I would prefer Tomane's (who I would have been happy to keep) games to go to the three O'Brien's at this stage and hopefully Hawkshaw pushes on. I like Reid but we have not looked back without him. He would be a great signing for Connacht who perpetually lack depth and he could actually push through there to be first choice there where he would be battling with Tom farrell, Tom Daly and Peter Robb to partner Bundee on the big games, three guys he saw out the door at Leinster.
Yep he would definitely be a luxury addition to the squad, and really can only play one position. But would be cool to see him come back to end his career here, one of my fave Leinster players.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Think Reid's Leinster days are behind him, especially given the productiveness of the Academy. He'd be a great signing for Connacht though with the possibility to cover outhalf and center. Hope he picks something up, great talent and very selfless for us.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Not sure if Noel has a future at Leinster given the likes of COB, JOB, Hawkshaw coming through. Seems like he's been around forever but has only just turned 30, and easily has a good 4-5 years left in him somewhere else.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Leicester have confirmed that the 5 players (including Noel Reid) have left.

Leicester surely must be opening themselves up to a legal battle due to breach of contract? A mutual end of contract doesn't make much sense for Noel as he won't really get that great a deal going elsewhere?
Anyone But New Zealand
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The Irish times said the 5 were sacked, which therefore implies that there will be legal action nearly certainly unless compensation was agreed in advance.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I would love to see what the new contracts George Ford, Ben Youngs and a couple of others signed during the week. They give a pay cut across the board then a week or two later their biggest stars sign new contracts. When you look at the history of George Ford in particular he doesn’t strike you as someone who bleeds ‘Tigers’, it would be a bad look if they screwed everyone else and still ended up paying their stars more then they were on originally. Maybe I am being overly cynical.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ford is 27 and has moved clubs twice. He’s at the peak of his game coming after a RWC final start and he’s a flight risk.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Reid off to Agen, says so in the papers.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

You’d have to wonder how many players currently playing in Ireland will follow suit.

You’d imagine that a few of the squad players on lower salaries will consider a career change if the proposed 20% pay cut is pushed through.
Given that many of the players in the system are fairly well educated, they may see that it is a better option to move away from the sport.

For example a player currently on 80K will now be on 64K a year.

You then have the bigger names, who in smaller numbers may see a move to France or even Japan as an option rather than drop 20%.
Big names who were already getting paid below market value, will, for example, move from 500k to 400k.

Hopefully the answer will be that nobody leaves, but IMO it is a good possibility.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It’s not like it’s only hitting here though. Everywhere it deep in it.

There’ll be a bit of movement but there is more talent looking for roster slots than the other way around. Just look at the guys who got cut in Leinster. Tomane, Daly, McFadden, Kearney all unemployed. And moving to a new country to play rugby is hardcore with the lockdowns.

10% and a deferral. A lot of guys would snap your hand off in this market.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: July 13th, 2020, 11:46 pm It’s not like it’s only hitting here though. Everywhere it deep in it.

There’ll be a bit of movement but there is more talent looking for roster slots than the other way around. Just look at the guys who got cut in Leinster. Tomane, Daly, McFadden, Kearney all unemployed. And moving to a new country to play rugby is hardcore with the lockdowns.

10% and a deferral. A lot of guys would snap your hand off in this market.
I concur. Leinster Rugby is as well if not better set than any other club in the NH to weather the covid storm, IMO.
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

Former Terenure club and school and Leinster underage prop Craig Trenier has signed for Harlequins after a few seasons in the championship. Good move for him especially considering the current climate.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Delighted for him. He has improved continually throughout his career and the fact that Alan Jones, former Welsh tight-head, is now scrum Coach with 'Quins, is indicative of background research as Jones worked with Trenier whilst he was with Richmond.

26-27 is just about the natural maturity age for a prop - Furlong, Porter & Healy were all freaks - so watch out for this young man following in the footprints of Mike Ross.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He seems to have got much bigger since I last saw him, fair play to him for being rewarded for all that hard work. We've got some mutual friends and by all accounts he's a great guy, hope it works out for him.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

26-27 is just about the natural maturity age for a prop - Furlong, Porter & Healy were all freaks - so watch out for this young man following in the footprints of Mike Ross.
Glad for him. Can't wait to see him play in two seasons time after Munster sign him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

SOB captain for London Irish, starting at 7.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Byrne starting at 2 for Bristol also.