Leinster v Scarlets

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Scarlets

Post by goreyguy »

curates_egg wrote:A bit worried to see none of our first three picks at hooker in the squad...are the all crocked?
not sure about Strauss but Cronin/Dundon are.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The selection is extremely interesting - starting old reliables like Jamie, Ross, Dev, Boss and RK, while giving the likes of Dom Ryan and Denton the chance to up their game, while simultaneously allowing Ringrose and Kelleher the opportunity to impress. It's an exciting and adventurous first 15 with a strong bench - incl. Sexto, who'd a thunk it? - to back it up. The coaches are putting their faith in the squad to a degree we never saw under MO'C. A win against Scarlets would be a good way for the players to return the compliment. Na Laighiní abú!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Denton over Molony :(
Boss over McGrath :(
Ringrose at 13 :D
Kelleher at 11 :D

Dom Ryan needs a big game.
Dubmon
Beginner

Post by Dubmon »

Great selection. Says to the young players that the door has not now closed just because the internationals are back.

On the McGrath over Boss, i have no issue on this. McGrath has had plenty of starts and has made a good case. Boss has experience that is helpful with quite a few younger guys, particularly in the back line.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

goreyguy wrote:Denton over Molony :(
I'd agree with this. Would have liked to see Molony get another go.
In fairness Boss was very good off the bench the last day and all going well we should get to see McGrath and Sexton close out the game. Nice! 8)
Yes Indeed
And some of that too
The good thing about this is DR knows if he doesn't perform DL will be chomping at the bit to impress
I would worry about the lack of experience in the backs too. Be interesting to see if Scarlets pick a team to try take advantage of that.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

riocard911 wrote:The selection is extremely interesting - starting old reliables like Jamie, Ross, Dev, Boss and RK, while giving the likes of Dom Ryan and Denton the chance to up their game, while simultaneously allowing Ringrose and Kelleher the opportunity to impress. It's an exciting and adventurous first 15 with a strong bench - incl. Sexto, who'd a thunk it? - to back it up. The coaches are putting their faith in the squad to a degree we never saw under MO'C. A win against Scarlets would be a good way for the players to return the compliment. Na Laighiní abú!!!!
Less than half this XV will start next weekend. I'm delighted to see some guys get a start but you do have to wonder why this game and not earlier...
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
In fairness Boss was very good off the bench the last day and all going well we should get to see McGrath and Sexton close out the game. Nice! 8)
Yes Indeed
And some of that too
The good thing about this is DR knows if he doesn't perform DL will be chomping at the bit to impress
I would worry about the lack of experience in the backs too. Be interesting to see if Scarlets pick a team to try take advantage of that.

15 Aled Thomas, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Jake Ball, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay [c]

Replacements: Ken Owens, Dylan Evans, Will Taylor, Tom Price, Maselino Paulino, Aled Davies, Michael Collins, Harry Robinson
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

I think that's a fantastic selection. Sure it's not as strong as it could be but the coaches have to manage this playing group through a long period without a break while also having to deal with the player welfare and any injuries that come up. Everyone is getting a shot and the message obviously is that the door is open for anyone and everyone at all times (other than the Champions Cup obviously).

How it pans out tomorrow is another thing obviously. There will be rust and there will be a lack of familiarity and experience in certain places. So it won't be vintage. But with a view to the slightly longer term I think it's a really positive 23.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

goreyguy wrote:
curates_egg wrote:A bit worried to see none of our first three picks at hooker in the squad...are the all crocked?
Yeah I knew about them but that makes the non-selection of Strauss all the more concerning. Hopefully the former two pass RTP for next week but where is Strauss? Dundon has had a fair few bangs, so hope his is just another standard.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote:
riocard911 wrote:The selection is extremely interesting - starting old reliables like Jamie, Ross, Dev, Boss and RK, while giving the likes of Dom Ryan and Denton the chance to up their game, while simultaneously allowing Ringrose and Kelleher the opportunity to impress. It's an exciting and adventurous first 15 with a strong bench - incl. Sexto, who'd a thunk it? - to back it up. The coaches are putting their faith in the squad to a degree we never saw under MO'C. A win against Scarlets would be a good way for the players to return the compliment. Na Laighiní abú!!!!
Less than half this XV will start next weekend. I'm delighted to see some guys get a start but you do have to wonder why this game and not earlier...
That's a fair point I think but the upside is that if (and its a big enough 'if') these guys do the business tomorrow night we could have a situation where come the Wasps game we have 30+ guys all putting there hand up, relatively fresh and all playing well. Not a bad place for Leo to be.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

curates_egg wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Yeah I knew about them but that makes the non-selection of Strauss all the more concerning. Hopefully the former two pass RTP for next week but where is Strauss? Dundon has had a fair few bangs, so hope his is just another standard.
not if they are resting Strauss to ensure he is available for Wasps as Cronin/Dundon are doubts.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

goreyguy wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
Yes Indeed
And some of that too

15 Aled Thomas, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Jake Ball, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay [c]

Replacements: Ken Owens, Dylan Evans, Will Taylor, Tom Price, Maselino Paulino, Aled Davies, Michael Collins, Harry Robinson
DTH and Samson Lee being rested.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Molony is a strange one unless he's going to be number 19 ahead of Triggs

nice to see such faith shown in the squad and everyone getting an opportunity rather than favourites being played

Scarlets missing DTH, Samson Lee, Steve Shingler, Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Rhodri Jones, Pitman and Owens only on bench
Theyre very strong in the backrow but so are we

We have much stronger front 5 especially factoring in benches (stronger bench in general), am just a bit worried about lineout
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

Our front five and the half backs will be the difference. Think that Leo is showing faith and as long as that is rewarded it will make for a great squad morale and culture. If you play well, you get picked, if we think that you are good enough, you get the chance. I like it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Molony is a strange one unless he's going to be number 19 ahead of Triggs

nice to see such faith shown in the squad and everyone getting an opportunity rather than favourites being played

Scarlets missing DTH, Samson Lee, Steve Shingler, Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Rhodri Jones, Pitman and Owens only on bench
Theyre very strong in the backrow but so are we

We have much stronger front 5 especially factoring in benches (stronger bench in general), am just a bit worried about lineout

Both sides are hedging for next week between injuries and selection. We could have as many of next weeks starters on this weeks bench as we do on the field tomorrow night.

Tracy has looks to have definitely overtaken Byrne
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

as a slight aside do we say Fanning's time is coming to an end?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote: Scarlets missing DTH, Samson Lee, Steve Shingler, Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Rhodri Jones, Pitman and Owens only on bench
We should get the see the Pro12 debut of the very talented Baby Black Michael Collins
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Scarlets missing DTH, Samson Lee, Steve Shingler, Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Rhodri Jones, Pitman and Owens only on bench
We should get the see the Pro12 debut of the very talented Baby Black Michael Collins
people claim collins is very talented but he never got near a super rugby cap.. granted with all the talent in NZ that isn't exactly a huge negative but I think he's been overhyped by some over here due to his name and a decent JWC
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Huge test for James Treacy's throwing. Dev, Jamie and Dom Ryan are three genuine targets with Denton as an auxiliary. But Scarlets attack some throwers and make life difficult. The other parts of his game are improving all the time and his ball carry is becoming an item.

Hope Mads 'takes care' of his mid-field and doesn't pass only when he finished with the ball. Reid and Ringrose are familiar with each other and will be glad to have Zane, Rob and Cian Kelliher out wide.

Scarlets selection appears to go the same route as us, so real opportunity for front five to get ball from restarts and line-outs and have scrum as a real platform for attack. Weather today / tomorrow likely to create lots of scrum-time. Our back-row will have a busy evening but should dominate the breakdown.

Big game in prospect!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

SOB will have his hands full with Davies.

Denton/Ryan will be a weakness unless they step up massively. Triggs/Leavy to replace them early in 2nd half.

Not sure how Boss/Madigan/Reid will work, in fact Boss's slow ball to Madigan is probably the worst combination we can ask for.