Wasps at Home

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Wasps at Home

Post by jezzer »

wixfjord wrote:Reckon we'll see a relatively tight game from us that's forward dominated.
The MoCtastrophe years aside, when have we ever failed to absolutely go for it in our European home opener?

I don't see this being tight at all, unless we make a lot of unforced errors. We'll put down a "don't f%~k with us" marker for the pool stages. Doesn't mean we're guaranteed a win, but better teams than Wasps have been taken apart in the RDS in Round 1.

Big test of Cullens coaching to see if he can get the intensity going without him being on the pitch. I think we'll be massively up for this one and by the end the crowd will be baying.
Dubmon
Beginner

Post by Dubmon »

In fairness we were cr@p in 2009 losing to London Irish and we were terrible against Exeter in round one in 2012
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dubmon wrote:In fairness we were cr@p in 2009 losing to London Irish and we were terrible against Exeter in round one in 2012
Stupid facts interfering with my rallying cry... :wink:
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Facts always ruin the best arguments.

Just ignore them.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Facts shmacts. Expecting a good performance but like any new head coach he gets a year before I think it is fair to judge him. The current direction they are going looks good. The change from last year plus the lack of time with the senior guys could see some issues but I still think we should have this.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

jezzer wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Reckon we'll see a relatively tight game from us that's forward dominated.
The MoCtastrophe years aside, when have we ever failed to absolutely go for it in our European home opener?

I don't see this being tight at all, unless we make a lot of unforced errors. We'll put down a "don't f%~k with us" marker for the pool stages. Doesn't mean we're guaranteed a win, but better teams than Wasps have been taken apart in the RDS in Round 1.

Big test of Cullens coaching to see if he can get the intensity going without him being on the pitch. I think we'll be massively up for this one and by the end the crowd will be baying.
I'm not saying we won't 'absolutely go for it'.
But given the fact we're still integrating players and that Wasps have plenty of good attackers in the wide spaces, and that our pack is likely to be the better of the two, and the fact that it's supposed to be pissing rain, I don't think we'll see a repeat of the way we played against Treviso for example.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dubmon wrote:In fairness we were cr@p in 2009 losing to London Irish and we were terrible against Exeter in round one in 2012
Ugh, bob casey's big smiley f%~king face was hard to stomach after that match!
Well done bob.... yah b$&%@#d!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

wixfjord wrote:
jezzer wrote:

But given the fact we're still integrating players and that Wasps have plenty of good attackers in the wide spaces, and that our pack is likely to be the better of the two, and the fact that it's supposed to be pissing rain, I don't think we'll see a repeat of the way we played against Treviso for example.
Weather wont be too bad on Sunday. Scattered showers and mild - worst weather over in the Whest.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord wrote:
jezzer wrote:

'Absolutely going for it' and playing a tighter game aren't mutually exculsive!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:
jezzer wrote:

Given the backline we are expected to put out, compared to the backline they are expected to put out, it is clear that our best hope for dominance is 1-10.
I've enjoyed the rugby we've played so far this season but we need to win this game however possible. I'll take a Stoop performance here.
Jonny needs to kick a lot better from hand than he did last week, that's for sure.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think the players are going to be genuinely excited themselves and want to get out there play well attacking rugby in a big game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just to make people feel better, this is the team that was named this time last year. Can't remember if there were any changes to it before the game but have a feeling there may have been.
jimbobjoe wrote:15. Ian Madigan
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Gordon D'Arcy
12. Noel Reid
11. Darragh Fanning
10. Jimmy Gopperth
9. Eoin Reddan
1. Jack McGrath
2. Sean Cronin
3. Michael Bent
4. Devin Toner
5. Mike McCarthy
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Dominic Ryan
8. Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

Replacements

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Ed Byrne
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Kane Douglas
20. Jack Conan
21. Isaac Boss
22. Mick McGrath
23. Luke Fitzgerald

The thread is hilarious actually, the disdain for BT (especially from DC) and limecat's preview are all worth a reread. People also talked about there being less interest in the competition last year and I would say that there's even less this year. Even with our encouraging performances and general excitement around the place, the tournament seems to have gone under the radar a bit. I couldn't even tell you what games are on outside of our one whereas usually I'd be planning my weekend around them.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14239.php

15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Fergus McFadden
12. Noel Reid
11. Dave Kearney
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Eoin Reddan
1. Jack McGrath
2. Richardt Strauss
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Mike McCarthy
6. Jordi Murphy
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Hayden Triggs
20. Jack Conan
21. Luke McGrath
22. Ian Madigan
23. Garry Ringrose

McFadden and Reid :shock:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

No Ruddock?

With Te'o and Luke injured (midweek injury updates shown yet again to be utter bullshite) I suppose we didn't have too many options but Kirchner on the wing is a depressing thought. Ferg at outside centre is a conservative enough choice but hopefully a solid one.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flip, maybe not as much better than last year's team as I'd thought it would be. Think Ringrose will be needed to spark those outside backs, more worried about Zane than the midfield tbh.

Not sure if he's injured or not but no Ruddock is a big loss. No offence to Jordi but I just think Rhys is the business and exactly what I want in a six. Rest of the team looks good and I like that Luke McGrath is in the bench. Great impact in general from there although I'd probably have gone for VDF. Hopefully Luke Fitz really isn't too bad.

I'm guessing the coaches don't particularly want to pair Sexton and Madigan together which surprises me.

Moore will be fairly disappointed although no surprise he misses out. Less confident than I was...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Obviously the plan is for Ferg to definitivley show Reid how to plant one's opposite number. Just hope he doesn't crock himself - Ferg that is - doing it. Obviously Fitz and Te'o weren't fit. Like the selection. Good to see Ringrose and Ooh Ah Luke McGrath on the bench.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

jimbobjoe wrote:http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14239.php

15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Fergus McFadden
12. Noel Reid
11. Dave Kearney
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Eoin Reddan
1. Jack McGrath
2. Richardt Strauss
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Mike McCarthy
6. Jordi Murphy
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Hayden Triggs
20. Jack Conan
21. Luke McGrath
22. Ian Madigan
23. Garry Ringrose

Up the jumper. One point win and we move on to Bath with hopefully at least one of Fitz or Te'o fit.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I'm guessing the coaches don't particularly want to pair Sexton and Madigan together which surprises me.
Wouldn't surprise me too much. Madigan played most of last season at inside centre and when you take away the place-kicking, he didn't really do a whole lot there.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

jimbobjoe wrote:http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14239.php

15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Fergus McFadden
12. Noel Reid
11. Dave Kearney
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Eoin Reddan
1. Jack McGrath
2. Richardt Strauss
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Mike McCarthy
6. Jordi Murphy
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Hayden Triggs
20. Jack Conan
21. Luke McGrath
22. Ian Madigan
23. Garry Ringrose

Not a huge amount off what I expected so I'm happy enough all things considered.

When you factor in that we have 5 guys who would def be in that 23 injured (Moore, Ruddock, Luke, Te'o and Rob) that's a pretty good bench we have. Was hoping for some solidity in midfield, which is exactly what Ferg is there for. Hopefully we can get our back 3 running good lines off Reid , but Zane is a major worry for me at this stage. I know he got almost no game time at all at the RWC so he was always going to be rusty last week, but he really offered almost nothing at all. He needs a big step up this week.

Anyone know what is up with Ruddock?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wasps Team to take on Leinster Rugby

15. Charles Piutau

14. Christian Wade

13. Elliot Daly

12. Ben Jacobs

11. Frank Halai

10. Ruaridh Jackson

9. Joe Simpson

1. Matt Mullan ©

2. Carlo Festuccia

3. Jake Cooper-Woolley

4. Joe Launchbury

5. Bradley Davies

6. Sam Jones

7. George Smith

8. Nathan Hughes

Replacements

16. Ashley Johnson

17. Simon McIntyre

18. Phil Swainston

19. James Gaskell

20. Guy Thompson

21. Dan Robson

22. Alex Lozowski

23. Sailosi Tagicakibau

Jimmy Gopperth will be free to play again on 24 November, following a three week RFU suspension.

Lorenzo Cittadini will be free to play on 16 November after a one week RFU suspension.