Back to Pro12 - Leinster v Ulster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Back to Pro12 - Leinster v Ulster

Post by riocard911 »

@Ulsterman. Any word on Stuart Olding? When can we expect to see him back in Ulster colours? In time to make to make the 6 Nations squad b'fhéidir?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

UlsterMan wrote:Hello from Belfast!

So Europe hasn't exactly started too well for either of us but I am looking forward to a cracking interpro, although I am a bit gutted it's being played now as I feel both sides will be a little weakened from our European games. But of course, it's Leinster v Ulster, there will of course be a lot of pride and passion and a bit of gurning in the stands too :wink:

As far as our team goes, Rooster said on the Ulster thread that we'd probably go for the same team, if not the same squad, and he's probably right. I can't imagine us playing exactly the same side so I'll go with one or two changes, but for the most part I'd say you'll get the same team as started against Saracens.

North Standing it this year for the first time in a while, come up and say hi! :D

Also I did this on MF before our game a few weeks ago, any questions you potentially want answered about UR feel free to ask away.
I've an important question. Are yis sticking around for pints after? I've a feeling that part will be more entertaining than the game itself.... :mrgreen:
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

riocard911 wrote:@Ulsterman. Any word on Stuart Olding? When can we expect to see him back in Ulster colours? In time to make to make the 6 Nations squad b'fhéidir?
First two weeks of January is still the word. So either the Munster game on the 2nd or Dragons on the 8th. If he's in the Six Nations squad I will lead the calls to have Joe admitted to a mental asylum for insanity :lol:
molloyjh wrote:I've an important question. Are yis sticking around for pints after? I've a feeling that part will be more entertaining than the game itself.... :mrgreen:
You know we Nordies would love to, and some will of course, but I personally won't be as the supporters' bus leaves straight after the game. I will probably be hitting the Horse Show House before the game though.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Hard to know what sort of team we will see, hopefully Leo gives the young lads a start.

1. McGrath
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Toner
5. Molony
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Heaslip
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. McFadden
12. Fitzgerald
13. Teo
14. Ringrose
15. Nacewa
16. Tracy
17. Healy
18. Furlong
19. Molony
20. Murphy/Ryan
21. Reddan/Boss
22. Madigan
23. Kearney
Dubmon
Beginner

Post by Dubmon »

1. McGrath
2. Tracey
3. Moore
4. Triggs
5. Molony
6. Ryan
7. JVDF
8. Ruddock
9. McGrath
10. Madigan
11. McFadden
12. Fitzgerald
13. Teo
14. Ringrose
15. Nacewa
16. Cronin
17. Healy
18. Furlong
19. McCarthy
20. Murphy
21. Boss
22. Sexton
23. Kearney R
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

molloyjh wrote:
I've an important question. Are yis sticking around for pints after? I've a feeling that part will be more entertaining than the game itself.... :mrgreen:
Remember Ulster used to chant "boring, boring Leinster" at the height of the Cheika years. That was before the experiment they tried for a few years of sending down only the players that weren't really needed for the A team.

<sigh> I miss the days when lots of teams wrote off our game as one they shouldn't gamble on winning.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Rob Kearney and Mike Mc both looked to be training today

Edit: Triggs, T'eo and Isa look to have sat it out. No sign of SOB or Strauss
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

not exactly scientific but the younger players looking like theyre enjoying it, senior players look like weight of the world is on their shoulders
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

simonokeeffe wrote:not exactly scientific but the younger players looking like theyre enjoying it, senior players look like weight of the world is on their shoulders
Hey don't knock it, it's a tried a trusted system, brought to you by the same people who brought you "the guys wearing the bibs in the photos will be the one's startin' on Saturday" :D
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I'd honestly be looking to give as many of the Internationals as possible the week off. Tell them to try and enjoy some down time. They look like they need to switch off completely. A miracle in Toulon can only happen if guys like Healy, Toner, SO'B, Heaslip and Johnny are firing on all cylinders. At the same time though we'll need to put out a decent team to maintain a decent start to the Pro12.

1-15: McGrath, Tracey, Moore, Moloney, McCarthy, Ruddock, VDF, Murphy, McGrath, Madigan, Ferg, Reid, T'eo, Ringrose, Kelleher
16-23: Cronin, Bent (is he injured?), Furlong, Triggs (Toner if Triggs is unavailable), Leavy, Reddan, Marsh, Nacewa
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Cianostays wrote:I'd honestly be looking to give as many of the Internationals as possible the week off. Tell them to try and enjoy some down time. They look like they need to switch off completely. A miracle in Toulon can only happen if guys like Healy, Toner, SO'B, Heaslip and Johnny are firing on all cylinders. At the same time though we'll need to put out a decent team to maintain a decent start to the Pro12.

1-15: McGrath, Tracey, Moore, Moloney, McCarthy, Ruddock, VDF, Murphy, McGrath, Madigan, Ferg, Reid, T'eo, Ringrose, Kelleher
16-23: Cronin, Bent (is he injured?), Furlong, Triggs (Toner if Triggs is unavailable), Leavy, Reddan, Marsh, Nacewa
I think we might as well get the most out of Fitzgerald while he's injury free, and surely SOB can't be too worn out, having sat out the Argentina match and all. I think I'd play him if he's completely recovered from his head knock. Ross supposedly benefits from playing games so maybe he should play as well?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

This whole thing about the players needing a break because of the world cup is bizarre really. They played two meaningful games. In fact, most just played one meaningful game. I get the Sexton / Heaslip general milage thing, but everyone else should be physically fresh. It's the start of the season!

Why would any of Toner, Healy, McGrath, Cronin, Ross, Furlong, Murphy, O'Brien, Ruddock, Reddan, Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney (both) / anyone I have forgotten be tired?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

CiaranIrl wrote:This whole thing about the players needing a break because of the world cup is bizarre really. They played two meaningful games. In fact, most just played one meaningful game. I get the Sexton / Heaslip general milage thing, but everyone else should be physically fresh. It's the start of the season!
the lads at the world cup were training to peak physically during the world cup.. some of them look heavy footed now, especially the ones later in their career.

Some lads look too heavy to me and not near their peak physical condition and athleticism.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

CiaranIrl wrote:This whole thing about the players needing a break because of the world cup is bizarre really. They played two meaningful games. In fact, most just played one meaningful game. I get the Sexton / Heaslip general milage thing, but everyone else should be physically fresh. It's the start of the season!

Why would any of Toner, Healy, McGrath, Cronin, Ross, Furlong, Murphy, O'Brien, Ruddock, Reddan, Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney (both) / anyone I have forgotten be tired?
I'd be less concerned about physical issues (although Sexton doesn't look to have fully recovered from that injury from the RWC) and more concerned with where their heads are at. Sexton has already said how hard it was to take the QF exit, and has called it the worst moment of his career. Going back to an unfamiliar set-up and pretty much straight back into the pressure cooker might not be helping. Add to that some poor form and you can see how he might need to take some time.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Cianostays wrote:I'd honestly be looking to give as many of the Internationals as possible the week off. Tell them to try and enjoy some down time. They look like they need to switch off completely. A miracle in Toulon can only happen if guys like Healy, Toner, SO'B, Heaslip and Johnny are firing on all cylinders. At the same time though we'll need to put out a decent team to maintain a decent start to the Pro12.

Nice selection. I think that 23 should be well able to do a job on the Ulstermen. Plus it'd be nice to finally see Madser and Ooh Ah Luke McGrath get a run out together!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

The selection permutations for both provinces are complicated slightly by the specific number of minutes that Ireland players must have under their belts by January: it is not simply a case of Leo Cullen or Les Kiss picking in-form players.
FFS..

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2441073
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:
The selection permutations for both provinces are complicated slightly by the specific number of minutes that Ireland players must have under their belts by January: it is not simply a case of Leo Cullen or Les Kiss picking in-form players.
FFS..

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2441073
That's hardly news GG. Sure I already said it earlier.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

molloyjh wrote:

I'd be less concerned about physical issues (although Sexton doesn't look to have fully recovered from that injury from the RWC) and more concerned with where their heads are at. Sexton has already said how hard it was to take the QF exit, and has called it the worst moment of his career. Going back to an unfamiliar set-up and pretty much straight back into the pressure cooker might not be helping. Add to that some poor form and you can see how he might need to take some time.
I agree with you and gg above - I think they're a bit unfit and their heads are gone, but to be honest, the best way around that might be to just play games - get through it. They're not going to get over it sitting at home stewing.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

We no longer need a 'miracle in Touolon', that ship has sailed. We need to ruthlessly focus on the Pro 12 and sending the Ulstermen back home with nothing to show for their cross border foray is the only thing the squad should be thinking of.

The freedom from Europe should allow us to secure better seeding for next year when we can give it a proper lash and hopefully batter Munster twice in the process. 8)
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

I would say a good fee Nordies will be down to do some shopping.
#NewryAllQuiet