Ben T'eo

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Re: Ben T'eo

Post by rdsblue »

It was crazy to only give Te'o a 2 year contract when he was supposed to be a project player. Why was he not given a 3 year deal and he would then he would have been eligible for Ireland at the end of it? All Leinster have done is spent 2 years re-introducing Ben T to union so that he will be fully loaded for next season and ready to play for England straight away. As our great IT scribe might say, Go Figure!
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

rdsblue wrote:It was crazy to only give Te'o a 2 year contract when he was supposed to be a project player. Why was he not given a 3 year deal and he would then he would have been eligible for Ireland at the end of it? All Leinster have done is spent 2 years re-introducing Ben T to union so that he will be fully loaded for next season and ready to play for England straight away. As our great IT scribe might say, Go Figure!
Was he signed as a project player though?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

The worst thing and a super illustration of the folly of the "residency rule" and project players so beloved of the Irish rugby authorities is that T'eo will be eligible to play for England at the next World Cup!!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

All Blacks nil wrote:The worst thing and a super illustration of the folly of the "residency rule" and project players so beloved of the Irish rugby authorities is that T'eo will be eligible to play for England at the next World Cup!!!!!
T'eo was eligible to play for England at the last World Cup!!!!!.
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dave Cahill wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:The worst thing and a super illustration of the folly of the "residency rule" and project players so beloved of the Irish rugby authorities is that T'eo will be eligible to play for England at the next World Cup!!!!!

Can't wait for the EDIT!!!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Worcester not short of cash - apparently offered Tuilagi a 3 yr deal at £500k/season.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

bails wrote:Smells of a sinking ship
Or that he was just after the cash.

It's starting to look more and more likely that we'll get Henshaw anyway and between himself and Ringrose we should be okay next season at 13.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I didn't know that and I'm glad that people are amused by my ignorance of a Samoan international, ARL rugby league player's eligibility to play union for England while been groomed by the IRFU to play for Ireland. As the kids would say, "my bad". That alone illustrates how bizarre the Project player scheme is.

The fact that the IRFU feels the need to go after project players to bolster the National squad is a joke.
Let Munster sign Siege, GVDH etc, Leinster sign Strauss, T'eo, etc Ulster sign Payne, Herbst etc, Connacht sign Aki, White etc but please lets not dilute our national team.

The fact the "project" scheme exists actually prevents the provinces from signing frontline or recently retired test players. Typically a project player is a young promising player but as we have seen only too clearly over the past fortnight we need to be able to sign proven and established players to take on the best of the AP and the Top 14.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on December 22nd, 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

rdsblue wrote:It was crazy to only give Te'o a 2 year contract when he was supposed to be a project player. Why was he not given a 3 year deal and he would then he would have been eligible for Ireland at the end of it? All Leinster have done is spent 2 years re-introducing Ben T to union so that he will be fully loaded for next season and ready to play for England straight away. As our great IT scribe might say, Go Figure!
Not a project - very few of them get 3 year deals (Struss, Aki, Payne, Blyndeall) did

Stander as a very open project got an initial 2 year deal (and it didn't seem likely to be extended for while)

On the assumption that you are getting Henshaw then you don't need Teo - you have Ringrose and Fitzgerald in there already

Teo is a bit like Ludik at Ulster - filled a role and did/doing well - never likely to be long term and not good enough to be an out and out project
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
I didn't know that and I'm glad that people are amused by my ignorance of a Samoan international, ARL rugby league player's eligibility to play union for England while been groomed by the IRFU to play for Ireland. As the kids would say, "my bad". That alone illustrates how bizarre the Project player scheme is.

The fact that the IRFU feels the need to go after project players to bolster the National squad is a joke.
Let Munster sign Siege, GVDH etc, Leinster sign Strauss, T'eo, etc Ulster sign Payne, Herbst etc, Connacht sign Aki, White etc but please lets not dilute our national team.

The fact the "project" scheme exists actually prevents the provinces from signing frontline or recently retired test players. Typically a project player is a young promising player but as we have seen only too clearly over the past fortnight we need to be able to sign proven and established players to take on the best of the AP and the Top 14.

You seem very upset. T'eo was not a project player. He was signed to play for Leinster not Ireland. He has been one of very few positives for us lately, he certainly is not the reason we have not signed better players. If he had of stayed for another season he would have then become Irish qualified by default. Hope that helps.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I was expecting him to leave at this stage, but...Worcester?? Didn't see that one coming.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

I'm not upset. As usual you seem to think that I am criticising all things Leinster in my post and are bordering on hyper sensitive. Read both posts again and you will see my criticism as it has been consistently on this matter, is directed towards the IRFU.
Don't jump in with two feet. Figure out where the ball is first.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

All Blacks nil wrote:I'm not upset. As usual you seem to think that I am criticising all things Leinster in my post and are bordering on hyper sensitive. Read both posts again and you will see my criticism as it has been consistently on this matter, is directed towards the IRFU.
You start up enough random threads, start one up about project players. Ben T'eo was not a project player and he proved to be a useful addition to our squad so much so that most fans wanted him to stay so he does not fulfill your young average foreigner either. It is like you are lost or something.

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

OTT wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:I'm not upset. As usual you seem to think that I am criticising all things Leinster in my post and are bordering on hyper sensitive. Read both posts again and you will see my criticism as it has been consistently on this matter, is directed towards the IRFU.
You start up enough random threads, start one up about project players. Ben T'eo was not a project player and he proved to be a useful addition to our squad so much so that most fans wanted him to stay so he does not fulfill your young average foreigner either. It is like you are lost or something.
+1 - not sure what you are really getting at here -> Teo fits into the exact thing you want - signed by Leinster did a job for Leinster, moved on

All provinces can sign 3 types of NIQ players
- Proven internationals (less and less of them coming)
- Decent quality non international class currently (too many of these)
- Younger more unproven players with potential (there are maybe 3/4 in the system at any one time)

Getting the balance between the national team and the provinces right is difficult (and getting harder from the provincial viewpoint). Fopr the next couple of years we are going to be challenging in the Pro 12 and challenging in Europe - we are not going to be feared in Europe - that goes for all 4 provinces.

I';d be as concerned about strategy with Irish players - Will the big name Irish players stay if there is better money and possibly more success available elsewhere. I also worry about IRFU sining IQ players to long deals, where they end up as highly paid guys within the system, but not operating at a level befitting that - happened before with the likes of DOC (Sexton is 30 - wonder if a 4 year deal for him will look good in 2 years time?)
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

OTT wrote:
I agree that T'eo was a good signing and will only improve as he gains more union experience. He has been Leinster's stand out back this season. As for random threads surely every thread is random.

A list of the all threads I have initiated in the past 12 months

LEINSTER ADDICTS
Next game Leinster v Barbarians - a slight dig at Leinster's absence from the PRO12 playoffs
Could/Should Leo get the job? - a relevant question at the time and one which could be updated by changing the title Should Leo have got the job?
MOCBALL - coining a phrase
Don't go MOC - I felt the forum needed a counter thread to the MOC out thread. Mind you it only made 4 pages.

INTERNATIONAL RUGBY
Two and a half hours to go. - a little bit of humour which had a few guys guessing and actually drew a few "lols"
Gordon D'Arcy says it all - my view of the type of game that has been indoctrinated in a generation of Irish rugby players at both club and international level.
Funny thing is, some people now think we should be playing a game where you move big physical sides like Toulon around and keep possession.
There is hope
Will Ireland open up? - A simple question as I despared at Ireland's tactics prior to the World Cup. Was I wrong? Still a relevant question.
Who will replace Paul O'Connell as captain of the Irish side? - Another random thread although still a relevant question.
Who is afraid of the big All Blacks? - a futile attempt to prove how vulnerable NZ were at the knockout stages of a Northern Hemisphere RWC. Previously they had
only beaten Canada and Scotland. Completely random during a RWC
When was the last time if ever that Ireland............ - A criticism of the "naturalisation" of NIQ players following an imported complete front row packed down
for Ireland in the RWC warm up games.
One capped team since 1990 - Completely random I admit but an interesting exercise
Six Nations team of the Championship - title says it all- hardly random as I posted it just after the Six Nations.
Eoin Reddan : Captain - sharing my delight for Redser/ Again not random as I posted just before he captained Ireland.

GENERAL RUGBY
Munster 2015/2016 - a timely thread on August 12th- hardly random
A Christmas list - Another timely thread in this season of goodwill showing my displeasure at Roman Poite's view of the game of dominos in Thomond Park.
Offloads 2015/16 leading directly tries scored. - a clumsily titled thread which I am ashamed to say I have not kept up. Completely random though.
PRO12 kicking stats - Another random thread bemoaning the fact that Munster's opponents in the league had kicked a league high of 83.95% against them.
When you consider that this season's leading marksman is shooting 80.90% that was a legitimate moan
Opening match Aviva Stadium 31/07/2010 - a review of the teams from the game, a random but interesting exercise
Ireland's first mixed ability rugby team - a link to celebrate the inclusiveness of our sport and the spirit of those players.
If only soccer crowds reacted like this. - an amusing link
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

jesus
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neill_m wrote:Worcester not short of cash - apparently offered Tuilagi a 3 yr deal at £500k/season.
Yup
Teo is there for the money, if he was serious or smart about playing international rugby he would go to a club that has even a chance of playing Champions Cup rugby

on plus side I'd say Ringrose did cartwheels on his way to training and we can use that NIQ slot to sign another backup fullback
Last edited by simonokeeffe on December 22nd, 2015, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Why????????????
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Very disappointing. Fantastic player, arguably our best back for the last 2 seasons, the only positive from MOCs legacy, and losing him to a third rate club such as Worcester just illustrates how ridiculous this financial gap has become.

The IRFU need to act swiftly and help provincial rugby stay competitive by loosening either the purse strings or the control strings. I get the obsession with the national team to an extent, but if the unions can't / wont make domestic rugby commercially viable in the Celtic / Italian regions, then allow people to come in who can. Irish rugby is being strangled into a slow death and IRFU are happy to cut off the roots to preserve the flower. The whole "boom" for Irish rugby came off the back of provincial success, it's difficult to imagine that the opposite wouldn't happen with provincial failure.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.