Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:From Simon E in the IT - this must be music to Mads' ears but where does he lie in the pecking order?

“At the moment we’ve got three guys there. Ian Madigan is out in France and he was unavailable last weekend but he’s another guy who would be real quality and has been in the environment before. So we’ve got some real depth in that position and options in different styles as well.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2859891

For me it's

1. Sexton
2. Jackson
3. Carbery
4. Madigan.

...but I expect some movement in that order in the next 12 months, or even in the next month.

Good times for green 10's
Was amazed with Easterbunny's comment given that Mads is hors de combat till the end of November at least with knee injury.

Personally, have to agree that TB is a decent prospect but so is Jack Carty, if he was allowed to play his own game, and not just (sometimes) crazy run the ball.
I think Carty will suffer from Connacht style stigma with Joe, he did come in to pro reugby quite young but needs to make a leap IMO
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Midi Olympique (and the Indo) reporting that Madigan wants out:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ian ... 65242.html
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

joooooe wrote:Midi Olympique (and the Indo) reporting that Madigan wants out:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ian ... 65242.html
No surprise. Once they went back to the market to sign Hickey the writing was on the wall. I'm not even sure they'd have signed Madigan if they could have secured Hickey first.

He's firmly back up there now. Came on yesterday for the last 20 minutes but was shunted into the centre and Hickey played the full 80. Pretty much the exact same situation as he was in with Leinster except Hickey is no Jonny Sexton
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

IT reporting that they have lined Toulouses’s Toby Flood as his replacement

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2981987
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Is Madigan being found out a bit?

28 next month, has never been first choice 10 at a club and looking to break a contract to go to mid table in England? This is a make or break move it sounds like.

Wonder where he's targeting?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:Is Madigan being found out a bit?

28 next month, has never been first choice 10 at a club and looking to break a contract to go to mid table in England? This is a make or break move it sounds like.

Wonder where he's targeting?
I'd say he's looking to team up with Jimmy G again.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Rugby player is a short career and not as lucrative as many other sports. Maybe Madigan is looking to prioritise his family's future over more Ireland caps? By now he knows that had he stayed in Ireland he would have been, at worse, benching in Edinburgh and Rome, but if he's looking to leave Bordeaux and not return, then I guess he's comfortable knowing he won't see another cap for a long time, and maybe ever.

I wonder was he sold a string of lies about Bordeaux and has realised it isn't what he signed up for? Or maybe he just had difficulty adjusting to life in another country, even one as close and familiar as France.

His career looks like one of unfulfilled potential despite almost 150 Leinster caps and 800+ points and 31 times representing Ireland. He's also won a fair few medals. And he's only turning 28. Most players who leave school would kill for 50% of what he achieved
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I was not the best move and I am not sure where he goes from here. There are probably a few English clubs that might have an interest but if he comes back to Ireland he would probably only be of interest to Connacht or Ulster. Out west he might see a lot more game time while up north he would be seen as a backup but if he could ht the form he is capable of he might push Jackson.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

all the media reports say he wants to move to England
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

suisse wrote:Rugby player is a short career and not as lucrative as many other sports. Maybe Madigan is looking to prioritise his family's future over more Ireland caps? By now he knows that had he stayed in Ireland he would have been, at worse, benching in Edinburgh and Rome, but if he's looking to leave Bordeaux and not return, then I guess he's comfortable knowing he won't see another cap for a long time, and maybe ever.

I wonder was he sold a string of lies about Bordeaux and has realised it isn't what he signed up for? Or maybe he just had difficulty adjusting to life in another country, even one as close and familiar as France.

His career looks like one of unfulfilled potential despite almost 150 Leinster caps and 800+ points and 31 times representing Ireland. He's also won a fair few medals. And he's only turning 28. Most players who leave school would kill for 50% of what he achieved
Mads, and the majority of Bordeaux Begles fans, were sold a pup about the Coaching ticket. The former forwards Coach, Sonnis, who has ended up in Bandon, with school and Club, was a major influence in getting them back into the Play-off contenders last Season. This year, their star-studded pack have failed to impress, particularly at home, and this has been tough on half-backs in particular.

On the other hand, Mads has had all the opportunities necessary to prove his value at No 10. He's an excellent footballer, just not a consistent, top-quality, out-half.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Deano reckons Mads would be best coming back to Ireland:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/h ... 65242.html

I do too and reckon himself and Connacht would be a good fit.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Northampton, not because I wish it, but because I think it will happen.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
suisse wrote:Rugby player is a short career and not as lucrative as many other sports. Maybe Madigan is looking to prioritise his family's future over more Ireland caps? By now he knows that had he stayed in Ireland he would have been, at worse, benching in Edinburgh and Rome, but if he's looking to leave Bordeaux and not return, then I guess he's comfortable knowing he won't see another cap for a long time, and maybe ever.

Mads, and the majority of Bordeaux Begles fans, were sold a pup about the Coaching ticket. The former forwards Coach, Sonnis, who has ended up in Bandon, with school and Club, was a major influence in getting them back into the Play-off contenders last Season. This year, their star-studded pack have failed to impress, particularly at home, and this has been tough on half-backs in particular.

On the other hand, Mads has had all the opportunities necessary to prove his value at No 10. He's an excellent footballer, just not a consistent, top-quality, out-half.
The head coach Ibanez is often absent on match day to fulfil TV pundit duty. Madigan has also said the standards at Bordeaux are not what he was used too at Leinster. It would be hard to stomach a coach keeping you out of the match day 23, while not even being committed enough to attend games himself. France is a very strange rugby world.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Only place he could go would be Connacht - not sure he'd go or they would want him tbh - Boshoff is there and probably a bit more like what Connacht need, rather than Madigan. I'd love him to go there but in reality he would be more of a 10/12 and possibly more 12/10 if he did - obviously would be a big drop in pay as well

He'll get offers in England probably (Bath, Northampton, Glocuester all ave vacancies, and then there are the likes of Worcester, Sale Newcastle) Might be some of the teams higher up the table would be interested but unlikely to be first choice

Depends what he wants I suppose - not sure he is really going to make it (not tahts he has done too badly for himself!) as a starting 10 for a big team at this point in time
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd be shocked if he's agitating for a move to England without a good offer being on the table.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

BlueBlue wrote:Northampton, not because I wish it, but because I think it will happen.
replace one mercurial Irish outhalf who flatters to deceive with another?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

BlueBlue wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

The head coach Ibanez is often absent on match day to fulfil TV pundit duty. Madigan has also said the standards at Bordeaux are not what he was used too at Leinster. It would be hard to stomach a coach keeping you out of the match day 23, while not even being committed enough to attend games himself. France is a very strange rugby world.
He must have been aware of this before he went though. There are a few people in the media now who make this point regularly and I'm sure he could have contacted someone he knows who used to play in France and asked for their opinion.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Golf Man wrote:Only place he could go would be Connacht - not sure he'd go or they would want him tbh - Boshoff is there and probably a bit more like what Connacht need, rather than Madigan. I'd love him to go there but in reality he would be more of a 10/12 and possibly more 12/10 if he did - obviously would be a big drop in pay as well
If Schmidt wants him back in Ireland a place will be found for him and Boshoff will have a lot of time for sightseeing.

I don't think Schmidt is particularly concerned though, apart from a belt and braces POV. He has Sexton, Jackson, Carbery, Keatley and Byrne and he will have Bleyandaal (I'm going to have to learn how to spell that properly!) next year.
I have Bumbleflex
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Golf Man wrote:Depends what he wants I suppose - not sure he is really going to make it (not tahts he has done too badly for himself!) as a starting 10 for a big team at this point in time
Neither do I. When you look at his career, it has been extraordinary and he probably has 6 seasons left at the highest level. He should be coming into his prime now, as a man with over 1,000 professional points, 31 caps for his country and a host of medals. But I can't see too many teams coming in for him to be their starting 10.

You have to remember that Madigan is an attractive choice for any Aviva team though. Ireland call ups aren't an issue.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

This saddens me. I've always found a strange parallel between Mads and Cipriani, playing style, personal bearing etc. Now it looks like he will become another wandering star also. I hope he can settle somewhere that suits his skill set and I'd love if that was with Leinster but if not Gloucester seems the best choice (if the buyout goes ahead). Apart from that Sale are probably the closest team to home and Manchester is a great place to be.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.