Leinster v Bath: what's in it for us?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Bath: what's in it for us?

Post by FLIP »

Talk of throwing these games because "they aren't important" miss a hugely vital point - Leinster are gaining their way back into form. Even a loss in a nothing match can demoralise the team back out of form. The players are professional players and will not want to lose these matches.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

FLIP wrote:Talk of throwing these games because "they aren't important" miss a hugely vital point - Leinster are gaining their way back into form. Even a loss in a nothing match can demoralise the team back out of form. The players are professional players and will not want to lose these matches.
Actually, I think it's a good opportunity to see where we really are as a team. We've been doing really well in the league but this will be a step up. Bath performed well last week in Toulan and will be be throwing everything at this. A good result and performance on Saturday will go some way to showing we can still be a force in Europe (next season at least).
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:I dont think even Stephen Jones sees them beating us with a try bonus point

they got one bp all season in the league against a 14 man London Irish
no bp in Europe
and only sic managed a penalty try against us in the rec
I'm not saying they'll get it, just that from their perspective they'll probably need the 5 points and will probably come looking for them. That said I just had a look at it again. If they were to come just looking for the win it's most likely that they'll be neck and neck with Toulon on 17 points by the end. It comes down to the head to head then, which should end 5-5 in terms of match points. Then its PD in the head to head. Toulon are +3 there so they'd just need to beat Toulon by more than 3.

Unless of course Toulon get a TBP against Wasps, which seems very unlikely.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

We should be looking at this game as the first in a new run of home victories. We have lost a few at the Aviva now but the RDS in the European Cup is a fortress. We gave up a proud record far too easily against Wasps. Time to set a new marker. It's hard to look at the season as being progressive if we are 0/5 in Europe (or worse still a whitewash), no matter how well the league is going. The next two games give us a chance to knock one team out of Europe and deny another a home quarter final. Something for them to remember us by.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

molloyjh wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I dont think even Stephen Jones sees them beating us with a try bonus point

they got one bp all season in the league against a 14 man London Irish
no bp in Europe
and only sic managed a penalty try against us in the rec
I'm not saying they'll get it, just that from their perspective they'll probably need the 5 points and will probably come looking for them. That said I just had a look at it again. If they were to come just looking for the win it's most likely that they'll be neck and neck with Toulon on 17 points by the end. It comes down to the head to head then, which should end 5-5 in terms of match points. Then its PD in the head to head. Toulon are +3 there so they'd just need to beat Toulon by more than 3.

Unless of course Toulon get a TBP against Wasps, which seems very unlikely.
plus they come here gung ho it plays into our hands a bit
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IMO, even with our best available this will be adog fight, probably decided by the referee and determined by what he considers is illegal scrummaging.

Bath scrum has apparently blown hot and cold all season. But, the reality is that many refs have considered that their LHP scrums illegally (both of them) and Toby Booth won't change his coaching. If their scrum is in charge, they tend to win because their line-out maul is pretty good. If their scrum is penalised, they concede points and position and don't appear to know how to change.

When Bath control scrum their backs get go forward ball and their mid-field look dangerous. We have got to figure out how to damage their LHP scrumage. Do that and we win.

BTW, who is ref?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I would really love to see McGrath, Strauss and Furlong again for this game, backed up by Dev and McCarthy just to see if they can keep their scrummaging streak going and gain some retribution for the Rec.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ruckedtobits wrote: BTW, who is ref?
The North Terrace with a bit of luck :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:IMO, even with our best available this will be adog fight, probably decided by the referee and determined by what he considers is illegal scrummaging.

Bath scrum has apparently blown hot and cold all season. But, the reality is that many refs have considered that their LHP scrums illegally (both of them) and Toby Booth won't change his coaching. If their scrum is in charge, they tend to win because their line-out maul is pretty good. If their scrum is penalised, they concede points and position and don't appear to know how to change.

When Bath control scrum their backs get go forward ball and their mid-field look dangerous. We have got to figure out how to damage their LHP scrumage. Do that and we win.

BTW, who is ref?
Pascal Gauzare :?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Honestly beating the club of that cretin Bruce Craig is enough for me. No 'splendid' 'marvellous' match reports about George Ford from Stephen Jones I hope.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:Honestly beating the club of that cretin Bruce Craig is enough for me. No 'splendid' 'marvellous' match reports about George Ford from Stephen Jones I hope.
+1, +1. Now that would be a serious pleasure!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

neiliog93 wrote:Honestly beating the club of that cretin Bruce Craig is enough for me. No 'splendid' 'marvellous' match reports about George Ford from Stephen Jones I hope.
With you on both counts. Sad as I was a fan of Bath until that 'benefactor' took their reins. On Jones... the least said the better.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

From a purely selfish perspective, any chance you might give it a whack to help us out? :lol:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

UlsterMan wrote:From a purely selfish perspective, any chance you might give it a whack to help us out? :lol:
In fairnes UM I'd say the players will really want to win this one so you've a good chance. From a team perspective I'd expect Leo to put out the strongest possible team without taking any chances on anyone (so probably no Fitz or Jamie).

I could be wrong and he might send out the U10 though :wink:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ulster have just as good a chance if Bath win this. Bath more likely to put up a fight v Toulon in round 6.

Best result for Ulster is Wasps and Bath to win. Otherwise they are depending on us to win in Coventry
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

johng wrote:Ulster have just as good a chance if Bath win this. Bath more likely to put up a fight v Toulon in round 6.

Best result for Ulster is Wasps and Bath to win. Otherwise they are depending on us to win in Coventry
Ah yes, the one good thing about being out of Europe is not having wrap my head around who has to beat who :D
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Bogger wrote:winning a few games in the Rabo hardly counts for much these days
As well as getting Leinster closer to silverware it counts towards seeding for the HECNua pools. We finished 5th last season and were in Tier 3 for the draw. Winning the Pro12 puts us in Tier 1. While there are no easy pools going in to the draw avoiding the top 2 teams from the Top 14 and Prem would be nice.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Bath are one of England's best sides through decades. Who wouldn't want to beat them?

I'd want to beat Leicester, Toulouse, Clermont etc etc. I'd want to beat everyone, obviously, but it's important to benchmark yourself against the big guns and Bath are a big gun.

The demolition at the Rec in 05/06 is still maybe my favourite Leinster game of the pro era. Always love beating Bath. Bruce Craig just makes it more appealing.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

There is not much to love about Toulon, Bath and Wasps these days.
Is there anyway we can knock out 2 from 3?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Think I'd go for a team something like:
1. Michael Bent - I haven't been keeping track but does McGrath need a break and to have his minutes curtailed so he can feature more in the Pro12?
2. Richardt Strauss
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. Mike McCarthy
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Sean O'Brien
9. Eoin Reddan - has been in sparkling form lately, and McGrath doesn't appear to be fully fit
10. Johnny Sexton
11. Isa Nacewa
12. Tom Daly - I don't see the value to Leinster Rugby in picking Te'o for this game, and Reid is too lightweight imo to partner Ringrose, so if Fitzgerald isn't fit and with McFadden banned it would be interesting to have a look at Daly
13. Garry Ringrose
14. Dave Kearney
15. Rob Kearney

16. James Tracy
17. Peter Dooley
18. Marty Moore
19. Tom Denton - I'd like to say Molony, but with the way the scrum struggled at the Rec I think Denton might be the wiser choice
20. Dominic Ryan
21. Luke McGrath
22. Cathal Marsh - Madigan's been good recently and I understand his reasons for leaving, but I thing this would be a good game to pick Marsh for
23. Zane Kirchner - no centre cover on the bench but I think Isa could switch from the wing and do a job at 12 or 13 if required