Wasps v Leinster Saturday 3.15 BT Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Now this should be interesting!

No idea what side we'll select for this, but I really hope we stick with some of the young guys and drop in a bit more experience.

I'd be delighted to see Marsh get a start too, though probably unlikely.

I'd go:
McGrath, Tracy, Furlong, Toner, Mike, SOB, VDF, Heaslip, Reddan, Marsh, Isa, Teo, Ringrose, DK, RK

I'd like to see Moloney start again, but I reckon Toner will come in, and Mike is our first choice TH lock.
Also would like to see L McGrath start, but again, if Marsh is to be brought in, I'd plump for Reddser.

Exciting times, our squad has rarely had this level of competition in recent times.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Wasps v Leinster Saturday 3.15 BT Sports

Post by Donny B. »

I would think internationals like RK, Dev, Jack Mack, Strauss, Sexton, Redser will start to keep them in tune for the Six Nations. Heaslip and Fitzgerald too if fit.

But yes, keep the young 'uns involved on the bench at least.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Is Marsh in the euro squad?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ribs wrote:Is Marsh in the euro squad?
Yes.

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/lei ... ?section=3
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

He was on the bench for the Wasps game but was ( I think) the only unused sub
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I wouldn't bother me hole with this. Send out the reserves.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'd say the internationals who've had a busy schedule may be on the bench/fully rested, and those who haven't had a huge run of games will play. It's a balancing act. Either way, we'll have a fairly strong team out. If anything, I'd like to beat them just to restore some pride after the mauling in the RDS (and worse, the insipid performance). Would do Ulster a favour too. With respect to internationals needing game-time:

1.McGrath
2.Cronin (has been benched a lot lately, for either Strauss or Tracy. Needs the game time)
3.Ross
4.Toner
5.Molony
6.SOB
7.VDF
8.Heaslip

9.Reddan 10.Sexton 12.Te'o 13.Ringrose 14.D.Kearney

11.Fitzgerald 15.R.Kearney

16.Strauss 17.Dooley 18.Moore 19.McCarthy 20.D.Ryan 21.McGrath 22.Marsh (some Euro Cup time would be very beneficial) 23.McFadden
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

COYBIB wrote:I wouldn't bother me hole with this. Send out the reserves.
I'd like to see if we could jump ahead of Bath in the table
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
I'd like to see if we could jump ahead of Bath in the table
It's always good to set targets.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I think that a number of the young lads have earned their starting place after last nights performance.. Tough also considering the more experienced lads will want game time before the 6 nations..I'd have it like this :

1. Dooley ( or vice-versa with McGrath, either way one half each )
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Molony
5. Toner
6. O'Brien
7. JVDF
8. Heaslip
9. McGrath ( Irelands 2nd choice no.9 now imo, has to earn 1st cap in 6N )
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. Te'o
13. Ringrose ( Joseph last night, Daly next week, thats Englands 2 first choice no.13's, very good test )
14. Isa
15. Rob

16. Tracey
17. McGrath
18. Moore
19. McCarthy
20. Rhys/ Leavy ( He's scored 8 tries so far in the B&I cup, deserves a shot )
21. Reddan
22. Madigan ( Marsh to start 10 away to dragons, tough test for a young lad )
23. Zane

DK deserves a break, starting wing spot cemented. I'd really love to see Dan Leavy given a shot, especially against a back row of Hughes, Smith, Haskell!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The scrum worries me still. There's no control and it can slew all over the place. I think it's a coaching issue because the bulk of these players can produce a very stable platform for Ireland under Feek. Under these circumstances I'd stay away from pairing Toner and Molony in the second row. We need one of McCarthy or Denton at tighthead lock.

Think I'd go for something like;

1. Michael Bent - get him in the mix because we'll be relying on him and Dooley during the 6N period
2. James Tracy
3. Tadhg Furlong - It could be worth giving Moore the gig if it would be a factor in his decision to stay/go but if the decision is made then I'd go for Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. Tom Denton - McCarthy could surely do with a rest
6. Dominic Ryan - Ruddock rested but Ryan's been good and deserves a game
7. Dan Leavy - van der Flier has had/will have a heavy workload and it would be good to get Leavy back in the mix
8. Sean O'Brien - might as well play him while he's fit
9. Luke McGrath
10. Johnny Sexton
11. Cian Kelleher (if fully fit) or Isa Nacewa - would be a good chance to get Kelleher involved
12. Luke Fitzgerald (if fit) or Ben Te'o
13. Garry Ringrose
14. Dave Kearney
15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
17. Peter Dooley
18. Marty Moore
19. Mike McCarthy - scrum could be in trouble if it was Molony and he had to replace Denton
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Cathal Marsh
23. Isa Nacewa (or Kirchner if Nacewa starts)
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

neiliog93 wrote:I'd say the internationals who've had a busy schedule may be on the bench/fully rested, and those who haven't had a huge run of games will play. It's a balancing act. Either way, we'll have a fairly strong team out. If anything, I'd like to beat them just to restore some pride after the mauling in the RDS (and worse, the insipid performance). Would do Ulster a favour too. With respect to internationals needing game-time:

1.McGrath
2.Cronin (has been benched a lot lately, for either Strauss or Tracy. Needs the game time)
3.Ross
4.Toner
5.Molony
6.SOB
7.VDF
8.Heaslip

9.Reddan 10.Sexton 12.Te'o 13.Ringrose 14.D.Kearney

11.Fitzgerald 15.R.Kearney

16.Strauss 17.Dooley 18.Moore 19.McCarthy 20.D.Ryan 21.McGrath 22.Marsh (some Euro Cup time would be very beneficial) 23.McFadden
More or less my own thoughts; but I think they'll rest or bench Ringrose. He took s few heavy clatters yesterday. I think they will want to mind him for bigger, more important data for Leinster- and who knows, maybe Ireland...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Not trying to be negative because I think everything is going well at the moment but is anyone else worried about our maul defence? Seems to be at the moment that regardless of how well we are playing elsewhere on the pitch a maul near our try line at the moment seems to either lead to a try or at least a penalty. We seem to get set well enough but once we surge forward the opposition seem to be able to spin off the back and over the line or else the refs arm goes out. I think teams have noticed this too and are kicking to the corners against us more then they have done in the past.
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

would be nice to finish with a win but Wasps will be going for Top Spot...momentum would be good even if the game is meaningless in this competition. Have to think Heaslip or Ruddock at 8 though.
Last edited by Bogger on January 17th, 2016, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

will a 6 day turnaround after a massive battle in Toulon be enough for Wasps?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Not trying to be negative because I think everything is going well at the moment but is anyone else worried about our maul defence? Seems to be at the moment that regardless of how well we are playing elsewhere on the pitch a maul near our try line at the moment seems to either lead to a try or at least a penalty. We seem to get set well enough but once we surge forward the opposition seem to be able to spin off the back and over the line or else the refs arm goes out. I think teams have noticed this too and are kicking to the corners against us more then they have done in the past.
That's a concern for nearly every team which haven't got a gigantic pack. The rules really allow no effective way to counter the maul. Once it's set with the ball near the back you're goosed. You essentially depend on conning the ref or a mistake by the attacking team. The cliched 'grizzled pack' often are better at the former; young lads commit more of the latter.

Actually mistakes are called surprising frequently by officials, which feeds my suspicion that refs also believe it's an unequal contest. The cries of, "use it now 9!" are commonplace here as much as with scrums rumbling forward.

My personal view is that once a maul is formed, no "group shearing off" should be allowed. I'm sure there will be loads of former or current forwards on here to explained the over-simplification of that analysis and how I'm diminishing an essential part of the game. But I'm old enough to remember when the maul as currently comprised was more often called as 'offside' or 'obstruction.' I don't want to see that be one the norm again- but some balanced would be welcomed.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Xanthippe wrote:
He was on the bench for the Wasps game but was ( I think) the only unused sub
Marsh started for the As in Moseley on Saturday and will probably start for them against Rotherham as well. That game is on Friday so he won't be featuring against Wasps.

A lot will depend on what Joe wants for the internationals. At this stage though, having been proven to be utterly wrong about last weeks selection, I'll happily back whatever Leo puts out there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Beating Wasps would do Ulster a solid.

However it would also leave Toulon only needing at most an lbp to top the group.

Hmmmm.

Ok. For all you smarties who say that wasps could lose by less than 7 and score 4 tries.........

Yes. Then Toulon would need the same.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I too would prefer Toulon not to make it out of our group and advance towards getting that fourth star. That said, ideally I would love to see Leinster continue their good run of form, field a combo team of young guns and int'ls and pay Wasps in the Ricoh back BIG TIME!!! for what they did to us in the RDS. A win would be great. A humiliation, like the one suffered by Bath on Saturday would be even better. If the result we manage helps Ulster - or even Munster - in any way and/or makes like life more difficult for Boudjelall's gang, then that's icing on the cake.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

I take it ure not going so ?, being pragmatic is fair enough and there is a really good argument for it, the other side of the coin is the reaction of the pack after the try on Saturday, they scored in front of where I was sitting, it was a "dead rubber" but it mattered to them and it mattered to me. You make a very valid point but then again there are two sides to every coin ?.
Flying wedge