Coaching Ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Coaching Ticket

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Nigel Owens blames the collapses on scrummaging machines too (as they dont engage back so to speak)
This is a real pet peeve of mine. That and tackle bags and rucking pads. Especially the rucking one, there's zero correlation between drills with them and what happens on the pitch. I don't mind them being used to break up the monotony of the real stuff or perhaps to illustrate/work on other things (body height, numbers etc) but in terms of actually clearing people out they are useless IMO.
I have yet to see a moving tackle bag :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Nigel Owens blames the collapses on scrummaging machines too (as they dont engage back so to speak)
This is a real pet peeve of mine. That and tackle bags and rucking pads. Especially the rucking one, there's zero correlation between drills with them and what happens on the pitch. I don't mind them being used to break up the monotony of the real stuff or perhaps to illustrate/work on other things (body height, numbers etc) but in terms of actually clearing people out they are useless IMO.
I have yet to see a moving tackle bag :D
Is that not what Treviso and Zebre have become??
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

:lol:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

COYBIB wrote:Yup, we have had a DOR for a couple of seasons now, the official title being "Head of Rugby Operations", which is Guy Easterby (which was a role change from his previous title, which iirc was "Team Manager" or something of that nature).

Easterby also seems in line to succeed Dawson whenever that time comes.
Absolutely not. Neither DoR (I presume you were joking) or CEO which requires leadership, man management, understanding of the whole Province spectrum from Mini U.6 girls through to Pro Squad including Referees, Past Presidents & Trustees. Easterby comes exclusively from the Pro side of the house and doesn't consider the amateur side has any value, only trouble.

Dawson's successor must understand all elements and know how one can support the other when necessary. Alienate the amateur side and fairly quickly you lose schools & youth support in player development. That is our form of Sugar Daddy - an endless supply of good to very good young players with an ocassional gem thrown in.
Bluebulls
Beginner

Post by Bluebulls »

R-Dog wrote:Does anyone else think we need to add some outside voices/ideas to our coaching ticket.

Kurt coming back has had a significant influence on our defense, but the rest of the coaching team have been round the Leinster set up for quite some time.

Leo is a long time back from Lecister now. Are he or Dempsey really able to bring fresh ideas to the table.

Players always come back from Lions tour more knowledgeable as a result of learning from different players coaches (Drico after seeing Wilkinson on the 2001 Oz Lions tour, Murray post last lions from working with Howley)

We definitely have room for a 2 people

Forwards Coach
Take some Pressure off Leo, working with Scrum coach.
Cheika had Jonno Gibbs so no reason why Leo should feel he cant have a Forwards coach.

(Would love to see us get someone Like Mario Ledesma or What is Richie McCaw up to these days)

and a Skills Coach
Someone to bring a spark to the back line in the way Knoxy did under Cheika

(Jonny wilkinson maybe...)

Great suggestion - fully agree. With the exception of Kurt we have a relatively weak and inexperienced coaching team.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:So, Ulster and Munster have a DOR. Leinster and Connacht do not. Is the DOR model a planned IRFU strategy going forward or is it just something that came about due to results on the pitch?
If it is the former then are the IRFU looking at imposing a DOR on Leinster?
If so would it be a planned transition or, as in Munsters case, wait until results become unacceptable then drop a DOR on Leo's head.
Foley got Munster to the Pro12 final last season where they got walloped by Glasgow, Leo will be doing very well to avoid and identical outcome this season.
Leo's probably more worried about avoiding an identical outcome to Foley's next season.
Leo was an emergency appointment so it's likely that a DOR is on the cards anyway.
Foley's appointment was a local putsch that has backfired spectacularly.
Penney is a far better coach than Foley but the locals were restless and got what they wished for.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
COYBIB wrote:Yup, we have had a DOR for a couple of seasons now, the official title being "Head of Rugby Operations", which is Guy Easterby (which was a role change from his previous title, which iirc was "Team Manager" or something of that nature).

Absolutely not. Neither DoR (I presume you were joking) or CEO which requires leadership, man management, understanding of the whole Province spectrum from Mini U.6 girls through to Pro Squad including Referees, Past Presidents & Trustees. Easterby comes exclusively from the Pro side of the house and doesn't consider the amateur side has any value, only trouble.

Dawson's successor must understand all elements and know how one can support the other when necessary. Alienate the amateur side and fairly quickly you lose schools & youth support in player development. That is our form of Sugar Daddy - an endless supply of good to very good young players with an ocassional gem thrown in.
If Easterby gets anywhere near CEO; I'll not be renewing my season ticket.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

I didn't say I was going to interview him for the job and appoint him, I didn't even say I'd want him to be, but in reality, it's very, nay extremely likely that Easterby will take over from Dawson when the time comes, unless he gets an IRFU appointment along the way. He's been the right hand man for almost 10 years now, and does all the back office stuff along with Dawson and recently got an elevated title to oversee all rugby operations (Announced title was "Head of Rugby Operations") - which is about as much a director of rugby as you can get.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

COYBIB wrote:
I didn't say I was going to interview him for the job and appoint him, I didn't even say I'd want him to be, but in reality, it's very, nay extremely likely that Easterby will take over from Dawson when the time comes, unless he gets an IRFU appointment along the way. He's been the right hand man for almost 10 years now, and does all the back office stuff along with Dawson and recently got an elevated title to oversee all rugby operations (Announced title was "Head of Rugby Operations") - which is about as much a director of rugby as you can get.
I have more chance of taking over than Guy does. Literally, not metaphorically, literally, I literally have more chance of being the next CEO of Leinster Rugby than Guy Easterby. Most of the clubs don't hate me any more, so I'm one up there!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd imagine that Mick has many many years left and that there's no succession plan being implemented at all.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
COYBIB wrote:
I have more chance of taking over than Guy does. Literally, not metaphorically, literally, I literally have more chance of being the next CEO of Leinster Rugby than Guy Easterby. Most of the clubs don't hate me any more, so I'm one up there!
How much say will the clubs actually have?

I mean- direct, "there's no way I'm voting/ approving that bollix into that job...", type of way.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Says in the Indo that Bandon RFC have brought in Regis Sonnes. Isn't he the forwards coach we were supposed to be pursuing a few months back?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 85342.html
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

leinsterforever wrote:Says in the Indo that Bandon RFC have brought in Regis Sonnes. Isn't he the forwards coach we were supposed to be pursuing a few months back?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 85342.html
WTF???????????????????????????? HOW?
Flakey 16
Learner

Post by Flakey 16 »

Gloucester Rugby name Dan Tobin as new Head of Strength and Conditioning
Gloucester Rugby are pleased to announce that Dan Tobin will join the club from Leinster Rugby as its new Head of Strength and Conditioning ahead of the 2016-17 season. Director of Rugby, David Humphreys admitted that he's pleased to have recruited a quality replacement for the departing Paddy Anson.

"Dan has been played a key role in developing Leinster into one of the most dominant sides in Europe over the last few seasons. Young and ambitious, he will bring new ideas and direction to Gloucester's preseason training programme and build on all the good work that Paddy has done over the past four seasons.

"I'm delighted to have secured someone of Dan's calibre at short notice and am looking forward to welcoming him to Gloucester next month."
http://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/1 ... zBWKORmlf0
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We lost the previous guy Jason Cowman to the national team. I hope we have a new skills coach and strength and conditioning coach announced for next season soon.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I just love the "short notice" reference from Gloucester.

Just lovely.

Means we have no plan either I suppose...
Flakey 16
Learner

Post by Flakey 16 »

fourthirtythree wrote:I just love the "short notice" reference from Gloucester.

Just lovely.

Means we have no plan either I suppose...

Hold on the IRFU must be following this thread and just noticed they've lost a member of staff in Leinster this notice was just put up on their site at 12:54 today ..

Head Of Athletic Performance - Leinster
The IRFU are now inviting applications for the position of Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster. The successful candidate will manage and lead strength and conditioning coaches in the design, implementation and on-going evaluation of the Leinster Rugby S&C Programme, as sanctioned by the IRFU.
In addition, they will ensure alignment between the academy and senior development programmes as well as alignment between provincial and national team programming for all national team players.

This position is being offered on a 3 year fixed-term, full time basis and is based in Dublin. To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter of no longer than 1 page to Eoin Ward, HR Generalist at recruitment@irfu.ie. Please note that the closing date for applications is strictly Friday, 20th May 2016 at 14:00.

Round 1 of interviews will take place on Thursday, 26th May 2016.

For a full job description, please see below.

The IRFU is an equal opportunities employer. http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37432.php#.VzB96-Rmlf0
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Short notice indeed. So they have been caught underwears.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If only there were someone who was responsible for professional coach development and succession planning.
I have Bumbleflex