Semi Final: Leinster vs Ulster Fri May 20th K/O 19:45

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Semi Final: Leinster vs Ulster Fri May 20th K/O 19:45

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well fpdone the lads! You got a sense of how much intensity they brought to it when Ruddock skittled a few of their players in an early rampage, and Jordi picked up and drove McCloskey back.

Thought that Ulster played a bit into our hands by going the agricultural route. For all the talk of Payne he was used as a battering ram with McC and Marshall when they started getting the ball in the later part of the first half.

Our scrum improved when Cronin went on :shock: perhaps they were tiring out by that stage.

Tired just watching that.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Temporary interruption in the pessimism flux here. Best wait until the final when it will be impossible to beat Glasgow/Connacht both of whom we rarely beat I think
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Got home from work without hearing score or result, got email from branch about final tickets which gave it away

Ticket office out
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:Got home from work without hearing score or result, got email from branch about final tickets which gave it away

Ticket office out
Hahaha, I know it's really not funny but at the same time that's absofrickenlutely hilarious

And on a side note..... Stewie McCloskey is absolutely awesome.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Revenge is a dish best served up at the RDS. Floating leaving the ground tonight. The intensity from the first minute was superb.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Our setpiece and Sexton won that for us. Scrum dominant in second half, while much of their lineout ball was messy, and we got a couple of big steals. Sexton's tactical kicking pinned them back at key moments and he nailed a few difficult placekicks. Luke was outstanding in first half, especially from restarts.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well fpdone the lads! You got a sense of how much intensity they brought to it when Ruddock skittled a few of their players in an early rampage, and Jordi picked up and drove McCloskey back.

Thought that Ulster played a bit into our hands by going the agricultural route. For all the talk of Payne he was used as a battering ram with McC and Marshall when they started getting the ball in the later part of the first half.

Our scrum improved when Cronin went on :shock: perhaps they were tiring out by that stage.

*** Edited by mod ***
2 scrum penalties and a try, and you can't even give the guy a compliment
*** Edited by mod ***
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:If we can match Trimble's intensity (he epitomises Ulster) and live on top of Pienaar, we should come through by 7-9 points.

J10 and Mick Kearney are the key players in Leinster for this game and I believe both will dominate in their areas.

Ian Davies must be strong at breakdown time as Ulster will once again try to slow ball in any way possible.
In first 15 mins, Luke out-played Trimble on four kicks, a break up his wing from kick-off and two super tackles. RTB was a very happy bunny.

Performance all round of great intensity and desire and Jordi Murphy was right up there with 22 tackles (12 of them with his left shoulder). And to think I wanted Dan Leavy! Well done Jordi.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Really enjoyed that. Pretty good quality game as is the norm with these 2. Leinster did an impressive job of turning Trimble and keeping him occupied under kicks. They got success out of that and he had a tough old night dealing with it. Ulster ran some smart moves too. Gilroy's second try reminded me a lot of a try scored by Australia in lansdowne rd a few years ago. I think it was cooper who bamboozled madigan and Marshall. This time gilroy went through pretty much untouched. Both teams were exploiting weaknesses cleverly.

I know the defensive record is good, but I've had an issue with leinster all season where they've been looking for the big hit in defence and at times not just completing the simple tackle. I'm thinking ferg's cards, nacewa at times too and toner's timing has been off for a good while. Tonight they got the balance between aggressive tackling and accurate, completed tackles pretty right I thought. Henderson (how good was he?!) and mccloskey maybe half broke a few, but they were felled one way or another.

Ulster are close, but the tight 5 are just too far behind leinster and leinster stil have big impact off the bench-furlong, Cronin, molony all did well. It's a bit surprising to me Ireland aren't trying to get Michael bent off to either ulster or munster and that either of them don't seem to be particularly pushing to get him. Plays both sides and seems rated by feek. Not stirring sh!t there, just a genuine observation.

Struck me after hearing about harinordiquay's retirement today, Christ heaslip will be missed when he isn't there anymore. Sexton prob picked up MOM, I didn't see, but heaslip was quietly excellent I thought.

Was there a bit if a bak(arat)lash too? The folly of those sky mid-game interviews!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well done the lads! You got a sense of how much intensity they brought to it when Ruddock skittled a few of their players in an early rampage, and Jordi picked up and drove McCloskey back.

*** Edited by mod ***
2 scrum penalties and a try, and you can't even give the guy a compliment
*** Edited by mod ***
Goodness! Can I offer the guy a compliment so? (Edit, I forgot to) he was fantastic tonight, pulverised them in the scrum, eliverd in the line out and scored a Cronin carry try.
Personally, I think, and have thought for quite a while that the conventional wisdom about Cronin doesn't always match what happens on the pitch. Certainly in the scrum where unit impact is an issue. The scrum improved with Furlong on for example. And he wasn't the best in Ravenhill.
I meant no lack of respect for his performance today. Though it must be pointed out I had a great view for one scrum in particular and the ball went to the back of the scrum from Reddan. Might help.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Dexter wrote:
curates_egg wrote: That is, without doubt, the most one-eyed review of the game in Ravenhill I have read.
Fair play to Ferris: he is an utterly useless pundit and a bit dim, but he is as passionate a fan as he was a player.
Yeah he has an interview in the Indo too which seemed kind of similar. Possibly he's entertaining for some people but he doesn't actually impart any knowledge or insight.
Still better than old Victor Costello

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jackie and your Nexus 6P, come back; you and your gracious, humble and magnanimous contributions are missed.
While you're at it, could you please ask Stevie how and where that smoke is?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Well that was brilliant!
Dont Panic!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:If we can match Trimble's intensity (he epitomises Ulster) and live on top of Pienaar, we should come through by 7-9 points.

J10 and Mick Kearney are the key players in Leinster for this game and I believe both will dominate in their areas.

Ian Davies must be strong at breakdown time as Ulster will once again try to slow ball in any way possible.
In first 15 mins, Luke out-played Trimble on four kicks, a break up his wing from kick-off and two super tackles. RTB was a very happy bunny.

Performance all round of great intensity and desire and Jordi Murphy was right up there with 22 tackles (12 of them with his left shoulder). And to think I wanted Dan Leavy! Well done Jordi.
Imagine how good Fitz would have been if he wasn't injured every 2nd week. The guy is one of the most naturally gifted rugby players Ireland has ever produced. Pure class.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

What a performance. That was a performance that was two years in coming. We pulled some decent performances out of nowhere in MOC's first year in the play-offs but I can't remember something of similar competence and intensity other than that since Joe left. The vile jelly has been purged.
Lots of players needing big games had them, and in spades.
After all the bulls!t down-talking from media and fans, this feels even better.
I think most real fans knew we had this performance in us but it is great to see it finally confirmed on the pitch.
We now need to back it up next weekend. Still plenty of tickets left for the final but it is unfortunately too expensive for me to get to from here.
That and whatever reason Isa went off for are the only downsides...any info on Isa.?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

curates_egg wrote:What a performance. That was a performance that was two years in coming. We pulled some decent performances out of nowhere in MOC's first year in the play-offs but I can't remember something of similar competence and intensity other than that since Joe left. The vile jelly has been purged.
I think most real fans knew we had this performance in us but it is great to see it finally confirmed on the pitch.
We now need to back it up next weekend. Still plenty of tickets left for the final but it is unfortunately too expensive for me to get to from here.
That and whatever reason Isa went off for are the only downsides...any info on Isa.?
Isa having an x ray on his arm
Dont Panic!
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Not only Isa we should be worried about
Ben Teo who was excellent again today had his calf in a large ice bag after the match and looked very uncomfortable
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Dexter wrote:
curates_egg wrote: That is, without doubt, the most one-eyed review of the game in Ravenhill I have read.
Fair play to Ferris: he is an utterly useless pundit and a bit dim, but he is as passionate a fan as he was a player.
Yeah he has an interview in the Indo too which seemed kind of similar. Possibly he's entertaining for some people but he doesn't actually impart any knowledge or insight.
Still better than old Victor Costello

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
curates_egg wrote: Jackie and your Nexus 6P, come back; you and your gracious, humble and magnanimous contributions are missed.
While you're at it, could you please ask Stevie how and where that smoke is?
Apparently, according to the man himself, the smoke is blowing him back up the road with his tail between his legs.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:Revenge is a dish best served up at the RDS. Floating leaving the ground tonight. The intensity from the first minute was superb.
Oh yes, the Ulster players, coaches, fans and media enjoyed their win four weeks back just a wee bit too much. Payback's a muthafucka!!!

Where for art thou, wee Jackie Brown?
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Dexter wrote:
curates_egg wrote:What a performance. That was a performance that was two years in coming. We pulled some decent performances out of nowhere in MOC's first year in the play-offs but I can't remember something of similar competence and intensity other than that since Joe left. The vile jelly has been purged.
Isa having an x ray on his arm
Spoke to him after the game and he said he'd be grand for the final....