Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

R-Dog
Graduate

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Post by R-Dog »

He was on Aginst the Head last night. They managed to touch on every topic bar Lancaster's future!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

R-Dog wrote:He was on Aginst the Head last night. They managed to touch on every topic bar Lancaster's future!
Probably agreed beforehand.
Had to laugh at EOS going on about Heaslip.
Then he must have remembered Lancaster was on the panel because he stopped digging.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Have you noticed that the phrase EOS uses most often is, "oh very risky though".
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Oldschool wrote:
R-Dog wrote:He was on Aginst the Head last night. They managed to touch on every topic bar Lancaster's future!
Then he must have remembered Lancaster was on the panel because he stopped digging.
Sly little dig at Eddie too when discussing the New Connaught coach and asking him did he apply!

Although fair play to Cantwell pulling Donal Lenihan up when he said Keane wouldnt be here till Sept due to Super Rugby commitments. Final is 1st week in August so no reason why he couldn't be over straight after at the latest and possibly a few weeks earlier if the Chiefs have a bad run
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

BlueBlue wrote:Have you noticed that the phrase EOS uses most often is, "oh very risky though".
Off the charts
R-Dog wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Sly little dig at Eddie too when discussing the New Connaught coach and asking him did he apply!

Although fair play to Cantwell pulling Donal Lenihan up when he said Keane wouldnt be here till Sept due to Super Rugby commitments. Final is 1st week in August so no reason why he couldn't be over straight after at the latest and possibly a few weeks earlier if the Chiefs have a bad run
I thought that question needed to be asked. The opinion going around is that Eddie is never getting a senior job again but he spoke to OTB recently and said he was informed the IRFU don't have a problem with him. He told us he applied for e Connacht job before Lam got it. Reasonable question
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I think rugby has left EOS behind. The way he comes across on TV would damage any hope he has of getting a coaching role. I think he is unemployable as a coach known for being risk adverse 8-10 years ago, the game has moved on a lot, its more attack orientated.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Interesting. I think he comes across well on TV and radio. He's a very knowledgeable guy and I believe his personality has mellowed out a bit. I would much prefer to listen to Eddie than, say, Gerry Thornley and Gavin Cummiskey (granted, they're not former pros but Eddie is critical where it needs to be. Thornley is smart; he's assuredly on big bucks for his extra media work but knows that all he has to do is not rock the boat, in any way. You can question what's the purpose of him, when he just fills all his segments with cliches and rehashes what he has said a 1000 times before, but he is smart). I also prefer EOS to Keith Wood.

EOS' Ireland were really good at scoring off first phase ball. OK, rugby was a different place back then but under Schmidt, we are very predictable from the base of the scrum.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What is Fanning hinting at? The inference is that Nucifora wants to demote Leo, or worse. If there's is any hint of that, this forum and Leinster's STHs should loosen their ties and let Nucifora have it with two barrels. The Coaching ticket has worked, despite underwriting the National team, and the development of young players which has been excellent this year.

Leinster are not overloaded in bodies, only titles. They don't matter, if the egos are not at odds. If there is no problem, give the formal signing of Lancaster's contract to Fanning and let's get on with the trophy chase.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

not sure what you are seeing in that article to suggest any of that. It all looked positive to me.

I recon nucifora is doing a decent job. The fact that he is ruffling a few feathers and getting people out of comfort zones emphasizes that.

The fact that plahers are not moving more between provinces shows that he is not using an iron fist to get the job done.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote: I recon nucifora is doing a decent job. The fact that he is ruffling a few feathers and getting people out of comfort zones emphasizes that.
Thats just a cliché though John, he may be doing a good job, he may be doing a bad job but 'The fact that he is ruffling a few feathers and getting people out of comfort zones emphasizes' precisely f%~k all
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote: I recon nucifora is doing a decent job. The fact that he is ruffling a few feathers and getting people out of comfort zones emphasizes that.
Thats just a cliché though John, he may be doing a good job, he may be doing a bad job but 'The fact that he is ruffling a few feathers and getting people out of comfort zones emphasizes' precisely f%~k all
Reasonable point. I'll put it another way. The fact that all 4 provinces are unhappy with him means he must be doing something right.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Reasonable point. I'll put it another way. The fact that all 4 provinces are unhappy with him means he must be doing something right.
No - thats just putting it the same way using different words. It doesn't mean that at all, all it means is that all four provinces are unhappy with him.
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
No - thats just putting it the same way using different words. It doesn't mean that at all, all it means is that all four provinces are unhappy with him.
How is he doing a bad job? That's not a loaded question. I just don't know and would like wrap my head around it. I haven't followed it all very closely.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

we are not going to agree on this are we? :)

While he may or may not be doing a good job my feeling is that he is. Based on above and on us retaining almost all of our players in Ireland despite the cash explosions elsewhere. Also the improving academy structures and earlier talent identification.

You and everyone else are entitled to have totally different feelings.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote: Reasonable point. I'll put it another way. The fact that all 4 provinces are unhappy with him means he must be doing something right.
How is he doing a bad job? That's not a loaded question. I just don't know and would like wrap my head around it. I haven't followed it all very closely.
I don't think Dave is saying he is doing a bad job. Just that we can't tell.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Nucifora got shut of MOC for us.
One consequence of that is we signed Burt.
Another was using Henry as a consultant.
We're currently top of the pro12 and have home QF in Europe.
Nucifora is doing a great job for Leinster.
It would be interesting to hear the opinions of our visitors from the other provinces.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Oldschool wrote:Nucifora got shut of MOC for us.
It would be interesting to hear the opinions of our visitors from the other provinces.
Opinion from Munster eyes.
I always rated Lancaster as a coach and think he's taken pressure off Lei and being here has taken pressure off himself. Both are really bouncing off eachother and doing great job.
As you mentioned with Henry coming in. Wasn't he the 1 who said play Carbery too so in a way it found him too.
Also Leinster's style of play has massively improved since Lancaster and Girv have combined.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

BlueBlue wrote:I think rugby has left EOS behind. The way he comes across on TV would damage any hope he has of getting a coaching role. I think he is unemployable as a coach known for being risk adverse 8-10 years ago, the game has moved on a lot, its more attack orientated.
I don't like the way Gatland left Ireland and the way EOS went about his business at the time but people forget how he transformed Ireland's attack with some visionary and brilliant coaching. For sure over the years his conservatism harmed Ireland in terms of our ability to play tournament rugby - which you can't do with just 15 men. If you read his book he comes across as a a control freak and a man who is impossible to work with - multiple conflicts that are never his fault. Think that's why he hasn't worked again in Ireland which is a shame in my opinion because he has talent.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:Nucifora got shut of MOC for us.

I'd agree. I think Nucifora is the perfect man for his job. He has no problem being ruthless if that's what's required. You need that to bring in changes. Irish rugby is a small place especially the professional side where everyone knows each other. It takes a strong personality to keep everyone from slacking off.

He got rid of fellow Aussie MOC fairly quick and I'd say he is the one responsible for bringing experienced coaches to the provinces. Not to mention laying the groundwork for future success.

His job means that he'll be blamed for everything that goes wrong (because he is the one that has to say no) but people don't see the positive changes because they're harder to measure. For instance the 7s players talked about how it really improved them and some got provincial contracts off the back of those improvements. That nurturing of talent isn't as obvious to the average fan as a signing is. It will pay dividends down the line though.