Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Post by riocard911 »

I think it's a brilliant move. SL brings a raft of experience - good and bad and not just in the field of rugby - which our coaching staff lack. As Dave Cahill pointed out, his England beat NZ. The IRFU in its 100+ year existence has never managed that. As well as which the disaster at RWC '15 wasn't all his fault. The RFU wanted to have their cake and eat it - win the WC with an ex-League superstar in the team, so Union could make inroads up North. When it backfired badly - which was kind of inevitable - Lancaster was the patsy.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

he was never afraid to give young players a chance so with the wealth of talent coming through at Leinster that should be good. Just don't let him anywhere near midfield and we'll be grand.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

Very happy with this.

I assume that Andy Farrell and his Irish experience might have had something to do with this........
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Also by signing a former Test head coach, Leinster are announcing their intention to remain at European rugby's top table, which can only be good.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Sky & BT's rugby producers have just wee'd their pants

I think the emphasis on discipline, integrity, culture will be a better fit here than England if even in his remit/applicable. Eddie Jones has shown the mistakes Lancaster made but to some extent Jones benefitted from them. Catt was backs/attack wasnt he?

Also Irish rugby media a lot easier than English and he'll ve under a lot less pressure here
Yeah, don't think Leinster has a culture problem though
Really? Jonny does

http://www.independent.ie/sport/off-the ... 83418.html

Stewart Lancaster. Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht

Bring him on. Don't see a downside.

Plays nice with Unions. Perhaps didn't have the tools for the politics at the top level of English rugby but that won't be a factor and everything else is a good thing. Can cover skills and defense. Check.

Can we get him in a time machine and send him back to the start of pre season?

Edit: That sentence works if you reverse the words politics and tools also....
Last edited by johng on September 5th, 2016, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Flash maybe that was the problem with England, too much (attempted) cross contamination of coaching responsibilities. At least here its a more harmonious setup and the coaches are team players

Hopefully Gerry will us how theyll lineup

@JohnG great if he can help us restore a ruthless, demanding, winning culture. Not like on/off field discipline a problem here
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:@Flash maybe that was the problem with England, too much (attempted) cross contamination of coaching responsibilities. At least here its a more harmonious setup and the coaches are team players

@JohnG great if he can help us restore a ruthless, demanding, winning culture. Not like on/off field discipline a problem here
You might be be right but are we falling into a similar trap. I'm still not clear what his responsibilities are! Hopefully this will be clarified in the coming days.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

Sinead Kissane saying he's doing a press conference today so should find out more about his role.
https://twitter.com/sineadkissane/statu ... 3333400576
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

My first thought was WTF? But now I'm thinking that it can't be a bad thing. Also from memory when he came into the England job they were an omnishambles. He brought order. Also a lot of England's woes under him were down to on-field errors made largely by Robshaw. So I'm feeling better and better about it.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Very excited by this and provided there is role clarity from the start it is a major coup for Leinster as Lancaster has very good integrity and experience. I expect him to become a highly regarded coach again in coming seasons.

Things ended badly with England but as we saw in our World Cup run sometimes these are by small margins & he will have learnt a lot from it like say Henry learnt from coaching Wales.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Edit - Johng beat me to it!
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

An interesting detail is that his contract is only until the end of the season
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Sky & BT's rugby producers have just wee'd their pants

I think the emphasis on discipline, integrity, culture will be a better fit here than England if even in his remit/applicable. Eddie Jones has shown the mistakes Lancaster made but to some extent Jones benefitted from them. Catt was backs/attack wasnt he?

Also Irish rugby media a lot easier than English and he'll ve under a lot less pressure here
Yeah, don't think Leinster has a culture problem though
Really? Jonny does

http://www.independent.ie/sport/off-the ... 83418.html
I was about to say the same thing about Jenno's comments.

There may not be an issue as such but I think Lancaster will demand a lot of the players, really drive standards. He seems like someone who commands a lot of respect and I like that he's an outside voice.

Might seem like I'm clutching at straws just because I can't pinpoint his expertise/role but if you look at the Munster game on Saturday that's a good example of a team that just really responded to their coach and something in my waters tells me it'll be the same with Lancaster.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

This is great news, he's a fantastic coach in the Joe Schmidt mould; understands the requirement to manage the person off field while delivering clear direction on the pitch.

Well done to the bods at LR for making this happen. :happy clapper:

However, he's a humble man but I struggle to see how he will play second fiddle to Leo easily.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:An interesting detail is that his contract is only until the end of the season
I'd say he just wants to tide himself over/rebuild his reputation until a head coach role becomes available but Leo's is up then too so it couldn't have been for longer.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Flash Gordon wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:@Flash maybe that was the problem with England, too much (attempted) cross contamination of coaching responsibilities. At least here its a more harmonious setup and the coaches are team players

You might be be right but are we falling into a similar trap. I'm still not clear what his responsibilities are! Hopefully this will be clarified in the coming days.
Lancaster the Matt O'Connor to Leo's Richard Cockerill
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:An interesting detail is that his contract is only until the end of the season
I'd say he just wants to tide himself over/rebuild his reputation until a head coach role becomes available but Leo's is up then too so it couldn't have been for longer.
Perhaps they will both be auditioning for the job. Either together or separately. Either with one or the other as head coach/director of Rugby.

Maybe they will play nice and make a good team?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Yeah, don't think Leinster has a culture problem though - England certainly did and in fairness, they probably needed more discipline. Think Farrell was defence coach.

Pretty much every culture has a culture problem but for those inside the bubble the problem is not evident. Generally speaking, the stronger the culture the more invisible and entrenched the problems are.

An outside set of eyes like Lancaster's, or Henry''s, are just what's needed to point out the things (to paraphrase Rumsfeld) we don't even know that we don't know.
Last edited by outcast eddie on September 5th, 2016, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

outcast eddie wrote:This is great news, he's a fantastic coach in the Joe Schmidt mould; understands the requirement to manage the person off field while delivering clear direction on the pitch.

Well done to the bods at LR for making this happen. :happy clapper:

However, he's a humble man but I struggle to see how he will play second fiddle to Leo easily.
I don't think playing "second fiddle" will be an issue. Lancaster and Cullen are trying to build/rebuild their reputations so it's within their interests for this to work.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:if you look at the Munster game on Saturday that's a good example of a team that just really responded to their coach and something in my waters tells me it'll be the same with Lancaster.
That's why I wanted him sent back to pre season in a time machine. Because Glasgow have that in spades. More so than even Connacht (at the moment anyway)