Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish time

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

errlloyd
Beginner

Re: Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish ti

Post by errlloyd »

I'll be at the game in Montpellier, it would be really nice to sing the Fields, but I doubt we will have enough support over there to get it going.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The French fans generally do a minutes applause instead of the minutes silence as their mark of respect I think so therell definitely be that at the start
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

erskinechilders wrote:Nic White cost Montpellier the win against Northampton big time. Leinster shouldn't be afraid of them at all especially after that performance from the pack on Saturday. ........,,

I think we'll go for 6/2 split on the bench with big power to come on in the second half. My 23 would be this:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Isa Nacewa
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Luke McGrath
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Josh van der Flier
6. Rhys Ruddock ( injury depending ) ( Dan Leavy otherwise )
5. Ian Nagle
4. Devin Toner
3. Mike Ross
2. Sean Cronin
1. Jack McGrath

16. James Tracy
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong ( injury depending ) ( Michael Bent otherwise )
19. Mick Kearney
20. Dan Leavy ( O'Brien if Leavy starts )
21. Jordi Murphy
22. Jamison Gibson-Park
23. Joey Carbery
Would prefer to see Dave K in for Zane and Mick Kearney starting ahead of Nagle. If Rhys injured, would consider either SOB or Jordi at 6, keeping Leavy to cover and substitute at 50 mins. Really hope Tadgh is available, even for bench as Bent is competent but different division. Would go with 6/2 split but recognise the risk. Would possibly start JGP.

If J10 available, our defensive mid-field strength will definitely encourage them to throw ball wide asap. Robert must be on his tackling game against Nadolo in particular (right shoulder for left winger). Wouldn't surprise me to see Isa at 14 and Dave K at 11.

Hope we do lots of work on our defensive maul as we did not impress in this facet.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

jezzer wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Who's his agent?
From what I've seen and heard of his form, it seems like a miracle has been worked.
Nic White has been playing back-up to Paillaugue (who's off injured). They have some guy called Cameron Wright on their books as well but I don't know much about him (other than that google tells me he's a Safa of course) and he hasn't really played for them.
It's some fooken squad when you look at it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelli ... rent_squad
Jesse Mogg might be a guy we could take a look at next season?
I like the ambition- and his style, but is he not a bit beyond our means? I suppose if Zane was released we might be able to stretch that far....
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Benjamin fall out this weekend with a thigh injury.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

that's good but they have a bjillion full backs. They had 2 more on the bench last week.

Sounds fairly nuclear though.......
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Yea Mogg is back too.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruddock out.

Sexton/Furlong unclear.

SOB available.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Furlong is a big loss in my view.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

A study needs to be done to find out how Jamie Heaslip, a backrower, plays 80 minutes in nearly every game for 13 seasons and yet Sean O'Brien, Ruddock and Conan spend more time on the physios bench than on the pitch.

In short, we need to clone Jamie.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:A study needs to be done to find out how Jamie Heaslip, a backrower, plays 80 minutes in nearly every game for 13 seasons and yet Sean O'Brien, Ruddock and Conan spend more time on the physios bench than on the pitch.

They have done, its his high levels of neanderthal dna.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

the spoofer wrote:A study needs to be done to find out how Jamie Heaslip, a backrower, plays 80 minutes in nearly every game for 13 seasons and yet Sean O'Brien, Ruddock and Conan spend more time on the physios bench than on the pitch.

Conan/Ruddock/SOB carry more muscle on their frames.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

goreyguy wrote:

Conan/Ruddock/SOB carry more muscle on their frames.
Is this not why the ab's moved to 'farm fitness' a while back? Basically more functional strength than big muscle. Isn't Jamie also mad for yoga (or is that just a mf thing to beat him with)?

I'd assume more functional strength combined with greater flexibility would lead to bones running in more natural motion and therefore less injury.

All that said, you need a bowling ball to create a gap sometimes.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RTE says

SOB available
Out-half Johnny Sexton, who missed out against Castres on Saturday with a tight hamstring, will be assessed later in the week.
Jack Conan and Mike McCarthy are also available for selection, while Tadhg Furlong, Dave Kearney and Richardt Strauss will be monitored during the week.
Rhys Ruddock will definitely miss out with a calf injury.

42 says
Tadhg Furlong felt a tightness in his hamstring in the RDS and was withdrawn shortly before half-time. The injury isn’t as bad as first feared but he’s unlikely to be involved this weekend.
However, Sean O’Brien and Jack Conan are available for selection after coming through the British and Irish Cup game against Richmond unscathed. Mike McCarthy is also fully fit.
Dave Kearney and Richardt Strauss are being closely monitored

Johnny "Lets see how he is tomorrow. He’ll train tomorrow, Thursday is off and Friday is a last training session so if he’s back by Friday and hopefully he gets through that and he’ll play but it’s a matter of getting to Friday and I think that’s what they’re working hard on now."
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Furlong would be a massive loss for this game but if it's just tight then he should be fine for NZ which is a big relief.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Furlong would be a massive loss for this game but if it's just tight then he should be fine for NZ which is a big relief.
When are Leinster playing New Zealand?

Ross was always going to start this one (IMO). He was in Midi Olympique's XV of the week of the week, presumably because the scrum did very well when he came on (penalties, penalty tries etc.).
I wonder when he last saw out 80 minutes because, if Furlong is injured, he's going to have to do a long shift on Sunday.
If it comes to that, I would put McCarthy straight onto the bench because then we at least have our best scrummaging tighthead lock to come on to try and mitigate the drop-off, once Ross is spent.
Montpellier's Georgians are beasts but I reckon we can win penalties against them if we scrum well technically...of course much will depend on the officials and I don't really know the English crew we've got.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

curates_egg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Furlong would be a massive loss for this game but if it's just tight then he should be fine for NZ which is a big relief.
When are Leinster playing New Zealand?

Ross was always going to start this one (IMO). He was in Midi Olympique's XV of the week of the week, presumably because the scrum did very well when he came on (penalties, penalty tries etc.).
I wonder when he last saw out 80 minutes because, if Furlong is injured, he's going to have to do a long shift on Sunday.
If it comes to that, I would put McCarthy straight onto the bench because then we at least have our best scrummaging tighthead lock to come on to try and mitigate the drop-off, once Ross is spent.
Montpellier's Georgians are beasts but I reckon we can win penalties against them if we scrum well technically...of course much will depend on the officials and I don't really know the English crew we've got.
Have you not heard, Leinster are playing NZ in Chick arrrh go.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Is this not why the ab's moved to 'farm fitness' a while back? Basically more functional strength than big muscle. Isn't Jamie also mad for yoga (or is that just a mf thing to beat him with)?
Jamie's a big fan of a book called 'Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance'
by Kelly Starrett, Glen Cordoza. Supposedly he swears by it but he does a rake of other things too. While some players may laugh at this his results are nothing to laugh at.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sunshiner1 wrote:
Jamie's a big fan of a book called 'Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance'
by Kelly Starrett, Glen Cordoza. Supposedly he swears by it but he does a rake of other things too. While some players may laugh at this his results are nothing to laugh at.
Just so you all know, I am currently in the Sun Salute pose, chanting "I am a supple leopard" . I think it's working. Bet I could make it to the fridge in under 3 seconds and open that beer with my teeth.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

jezzer wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
Just so you all know, I am currently in the Sun Salute pose, chanting "I am a supple leopard" . I think it's working. Bet I could make it to the fridge in under 3 seconds and open that beer with my teeth.
Na Mass thea (No more tea)