Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish time

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish ti

Post by jezzer »

Forecast is for heavy rain on Sunday and likely to be accurate - tends not to be very wrong in these parts.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

So based on what people who know Montpellier or/and have seen the Northampton game and taking into consideration the weather/home advantage etc. would a fair summary be that a win this weekend while not impossible is unlikely? An LBP would be good?

I'd like to manage my expectations? :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:So based on what people who know Montpellier or/and have seen the Northampton game and taking into consideration the weather/home advantage etc. would a fair summary be that a win this weekend while not impossible is unlikely? An LBP would be good?

I'd like to manage my expectations? :D
Having watched the NOR v MON game I reckon we're in for a severe pounding by a heavy pack in front of a hostile crowd. Taking the weather into account and the loss of Furlong I would be happy with the LBP. That said, I imagine our newly improved coaching staff will provide the team with a game plan, which, if successfully executed, could give us a win. In other words victory is possible, but not probable, IMO.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This is a big chance to make a statement and I'm excited about it, think we've been building towards it very nicely.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

We handled it pretty well in wet conditions last weekend. By all accounts the pitch was sopping and the ball was very slippery.

While we're able to front up against this pack, I think we're going to do better against them by using our handling and flooding the channel when we get in behind. Their defensive line has been very narrow in the Top 14, not sure we have the pace out wide to burn around them, but we do have the passing ability fix them narrow and pass it out the back.

Their offensive maul is very good. Defensive one, not so much. I've seen them get driven seriously back by worse mauls than ours.

They really hit the rucks though. The Saffer influence comes through time after time - those lads hit the breakdown at speed and keep rolling. We often struggle with that if we're not protecting our own ball well. Luek McG needs to get our forwards over the ball and he needs to get it away fast, no flapping around and settling lines.

All in all, I'd call it pretty 50/50, given we're away. I think we've the better accuracy and better gameplan though. They've got some high calibre players and a world star in Nadolo. Cotter has had a bit more time now to put his stamp on their play, which massively needed reworking. That has to help them.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:This is a big chance to make a statement and I'm excited about it, think we've been building towards it very nicely.
Well I'd say this, 'Where' we to win I think we would be in a huge place in this competition. Not just in terms of points in the bag ,but mentally going forward, with all the players leaving for the AI's. I think it would be a big confidence boost for the entire squad.

Bring it on!!!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:This is a big chance to make a statement and I'm excited about it, think we've been building towards it very nicely.
Well I'd say this, 'Where' we to win I think we would be in a huge place in this competition. Not just in terms of points in the bag ,but mentally going forward, with all the players leaving for the AI's. I think it would be a big confidence boost for the entire squad.

Bring it on!!!!
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think I'd start Jordi at 6 for this one personally. Has been playing well and he usually likes an away game in France too. Freeing him up to carry a little wider would be a help, because as we all know he's not a 7. He's the best lineout replacement we have for Rhys too, albeit a very different jumper.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Im really excited to see how Joey Carbury comes through this test, win , lose or draw. I think the guy is a class act.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:I think I'd start Jordi at 6 for this one personally. Has been playing well and he usually likes an away game in France too. Freeing him up to carry a little wider would be a help, because as we all know he's not a 7. He's the best lineout replacement we have for Rhys too, albeit a very different jumper.
I don't know where it'll be but I can't see Jordi not starting after being out of the 23 last weekend. If that's the case, as it was against Munster when guys were rested beforehand, I like that approach from Leo.

Edit: Should I have said Lancaster? Or both?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lots of sanity in the outlook on here. White has / had a template for how to get the Top 14 title. No sure that European title has ever been the priority for this Club. The S.A. contingent miss the leadership of Bismark du P on the pitch. Against Northampton (and noting he was directly marking Picamoles) Spies did not seem a leader, nor did White.

Hopefully, they will be as leaderless on Sunday, because if they are all facing the same direction and in step, this will be as tough as going to Clermont
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

jezzer wrote: Cotter has had a bit more time now to put his stamp on their play, which massively needed reworking. That has to help them.
My bad.

Thought Cotter had already come in to replace Jake White, but I see now it's not happening till season end.

I'd rate our chances a bit higher then, because the Montpellier I've been watching in the top 14 under White are a bit of a mess and don't look that expressive or confident with ball in hand. It's find contact, drop the shoulder and leg drive for 3m (unless your surname is Nadolo).
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

Stuka wrote:Im really excited to see how Joey Carbury comes through this test, win , lose or draw. I think the guy is a class act.

We’ve got Carbo, Joey Carbo,

I just don’t think you understand,
He’s Leo Cullen's man.
He’s better than Carter,

We’ve got Carbo.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Stuart Lancaster had four losses and a draw against South Africa as England coach
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:Stuart Lancaster had four losses and a draw against South Africa as England coach
Good job he's not the (only) Leinster Coach then
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Stuart Lancaster had four losses and a draw against South Africa as England coach
Good job he's not the (only) Leinster Coach then
Most of us would also take the draw!
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Hard one to call
If the pack are as good as last week and we take our chances then we can win
Have to run then out of energy
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Nagusa is back with Montpellier, after basically not having turned up since the start of the season. He won't train until next week though.
Not that it makes much of a difference given the depth of their wing/full back squad.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:Nagusa is back with Montpellier, after basically not having turned up since the start of the season. He won't train until next week though.
Not that it makes much of a difference given the depth of their wing/full back squad.
other interesting thing is theyre paying 600k a year for the Toulouse flanker Camara to join them next season, so decent French players are now ridiculously overpriced as Montpellier especially struggle to adapt to new rules/foreigner limits; a big clearout/turnover could be bad for morale later in the season (when more of it comes out)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The Herald reporting that JS is winning his battle to be fit for Sunday. Make of that what you will!