Northampton Saints v Leinster BT Friday 7.45

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Northampton Saints v Leinster BT Friday 7.45

Post by leinsterforever »

Oldschool wrote:Quick summary.
Dallaglio gave Furlong the MOM in recognition of the match winning performance by our tight five.
That was a nice way to introduce the likes of the Byrne "twins" and ROL to European Cup rugby.
ISA seemed a bit hesitant early on but he was much better in the second half so hopefully his minor dip in form is over.
It looks like both teams will have a few wait and see injury problems.
SOB is out for next week I suspect, Carbery and RK also likely out as well which would leave ISA covering OH assuming Ross Byrne is OK.
Congratulations to the newbies, they all contributed which is a real positive.
Backline of 15. Nacewa, 14. Byrne, 13. Ringrose, 12. Henshaw, 11. Daly, 10. Byrne, 9. McGrath; 23. O'Loughlin, 22. Reid, 21. Gibson-Park for next week?
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

An away bonus point win in the European cup with 5 tries scored so overall an excellent outcome
Very strong and dominant scrummage but still some work ons in the line out
Injuries a concern, losing another number 10 is not ideal . I was looking forward to seeing Carbury at Landsdowne
SOB and RK going off also a worry
Despite these setbacks the team got the result we needed with the cross field kick delivering a try from two newcomers to the team
A lot of positives and looking forward to the match next week - nice to be on top of the pool
I don't think the team will be complacent as there are lots of aspects of the game to work on

P.s. Hartley is a blight on the game and deserves a lengthy ban .It amazes me that the RFU and decent rugby fans in England can support this thug as their international captain
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

First of all, a win over there is bloody brilliant, 5 points is fantastic.
Saints were only 3 pts behind with nearly an hour gone, so we only ran away with it at the end.
Luke played the hard yards and JGP came on when Northampton were a rabble so comparing their performances is unfair.
That said, what a try, serious pace, serious steps he's the best winger we've had for years!
Hartley has to get a proper ban for that, he could have done serious damage to SOB, and its not like he can cite previous good behaviour.
Surely we wont be so complacent as we were 3 years ago next week in the Aviva.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

It was a lucky win for us, in my opinion... as soon as Carbery went off, the back line disappeared from the game and didn't re-appear until Hartley went off. :/

I had a few issues:
1. Henshaw is miles off his best, and (probably) ruined two tries.

2. Adam Byrne cannot tackle, he's amazing on attack (AMAZING), but he might as well not be there on defence !
Someone needs to pull him aside, and give him a one on one !!!!!!

3. Luke McGrath, I hear a lot of people slamming him on his passing, the only issue I had with him tonight, was his kicking; I'd rather he boxed to the middle rather than down the line !! In terms of his passing, it was more accurate tonight, but it was very slow: I put that down to the referee's complete lack of ruck awareness; I found it funny, how Northampton got a penalty from slow rolling (within two seconds of the ruck formation) directly under our post, while Northampton players took light years to roll away from our rucks (and our mauls), yet we didn't get one slow rolling ruck infringement penalty (and only one from the maul, after which, we scored) !!!!

4. Hayden Triggs is not the answer; the IRFU need to F off and allow us to sign a real second row !!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Rumours abound that Jonno S bought tickets to Lourdes for tomorrow.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Therefore very grateful for 5 points, 6 tries and our new points difference +35.

But Leo, Girv and Bomber know how much we can improve that performance and the Squad know that the standards they've set this year are higher that much of that display.

However, having watched many good performances, without due result, over the past years, I'm delighted for the entire group with that win and everything gained tonight.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Hartley should be in jail for that. Just saw the replays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Hartley should be in jail for that. Just saw the replays.

Question is - Would it be for shear stupidity or the crime itself, assuming you could only charge him with one offence.
My impression is that he was on a tight leash during the AIs and the safeties came off tonight.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Rumours abound that Jonno S bought tickets to Lourdes for tomorrow.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Therefore very grateful for 5 points, 6 tries and our new points difference +35.

But Leo, Girv and Bomber know how much we can improve that performance and the Squad know that the standards they've set this year are higher that much of that display.

However, having watched many good performances, without due result, over the past years, I'm delighted for the entire group with that win and everything gained tonight.
Leave JS out of the equation. We should be able to beat Northampton with home advantage next.
We would be better advised to try to make sure he's available for the game against Montpellier, who are now our main rivals to top the group.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Laighin Break wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
suisse wrote:That phase of play about 4 mins from HT before SOB's disallowed try is Leinster under Leo Cullen and Girvan Dempsey. 20 phases, pounding away, side to side to side. No score. Time after time this season, we've seen the same thing. And last year. I'd love to see our seasonal conversion stats of time spent in the opposition 22 and not scored.

Nick Mullins praising the Northampton defense. But the same could be said for Castres, Montpelier and whoever in the league.
Leinster have been doing that since time immemorial.
Under Schmidt Leinster became way more clinical in visits to 22. Unfortunately MOC did his best to turn that around
Under schmidt it was a huge problem from 5metres out too and cost us plenty. However the team sorted it out with the help of a couple of famous signings in the forwards and some time on the training pitch
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Blue Voodoo wrote: P.s. Hartley is a blight on the game and deserves a lengthy ban .It amazes me that the RFU and decent rugby fans in England can support this thug as their international captain
I remember really disliking The Claw playing for Ireland on account of his occasional stamping and dirty play. I can't fathom how English fans can be proud of him as a captain
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

papachino wrote:It was a lucky win for us, in my opinion... as soon as Carbery went off, the back line disappeared from the game and didn't re-appear until Hartley went off. :/

I had a few issues:
1. Henshaw is miles off his best, and (probably) ruined two tries.

2. Adam Byrne cannot tackle, he's amazing on attack (AMAZING), but he might as well not be there on defence !
Someone needs to pull him aside, and give him a one on one !!!!!!

3. Luke McGrath, I hear a lot of people slamming him on his passing, the only issue I had with him tonight, was his kicking; I'd rather he boxed to the middle rather than down the line !! In terms of his passing, it was more accurate tonight, but it was very slow: I put that down to the referee's complete lack of ruck awareness; I found it funny, how Northampton got a penalty from slow rolling (within two seconds of the ruck formation) directly under our post, while Northampton players took light years to roll away from our rucks (and our mauls), yet we didn't get one slow rolling ruck infringement penalty (and only one from the maul, after which, we scored) !!!!

4. Hayden Triggs is not the answer; the IRFU need to F off and allow us to sign a real second row !!!!
Luke McGrath, the enigma.
Did some really good things.
Did some really bad things.
The two things that were most annoying were his box kick on half way - not because of the execution which was shyte but because it was a schoolboy wrong decision and it doesn't matter if Byrne had just come on and he was trying to protect him.
If Ross Byrne was on the bench he was deemed fit for purpose, it wasn't Luke's call to override the coaches decision. A bit of nurse maiding is fine but making daft decisions isn't.
The other thing that was annoying was the fumble at the back of a maul, what was the rush? Had he just missed the 46A or something?
He wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.
If McGrath can fix what I call his personality flaws then he can be a very good SH - It's all about concentration.
Those two pieces of play took all the momentum away from Leinster and let Northampton think they had a chance, fortunately for us they also had Hartley.
A third issue that both our SHs have, but Luke moreso, is the throwing the hands in the air all the time, Luke got caught a couple of times with his hands in the air as the ball came out. Put a stop watch on yourselves scrummies and just see how long it takes to get your hands out of the air (or your ar$es) down into a squatting position to pick up the ball - you will be amazed at how much time you are costing your team mates with your stupid histrionics.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Hartley already has 54 weeks of bans to his name. That's over a year out of the game for sheer thuggery! Throw the book at him FFS.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
ronk wrote:Hartley should be in jail for that. Just saw the replays.

Question is - Would it be for shear stupidity or the crime itself, assuming you could only charge him with one offence.
My impression is that he was on a tight leash during the AIs and the safeties came off tonight.
For the crime itself.

Why doesn't matter, he tried to kill an opponent with a blow to the back of the head of someone falling to the ground already and completely unable to protect himself.

For the integrity of the game and the safety of his fellow players (and of junior level players who see that). His time must now be done.

When he gets banned this will be the 4th Irish international forward he's brutally attacked and been banned for.

This really should be career ending for him.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Great result, based really on scrum domination before DH's sending off. Josh VdF also exceptional again. Thought Ross Byrne did quite well in the circumstances. Luke McGrath did some things well, but badly at fault for their try. Really hope Joey's not out for long - something very special about the guy.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Im really enjoying watching Leinster play again.

This squad is ticking along very nicely. Exciting times for Leinster.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Should have been over 50 points on that rabble of a Saints team. Shocked how bad they were bar some excellent passing from 9/10/12 and a bit of pace out wide. With a man down and playing like that, thank god we cranked it up in the last 10 mins and got the BP. Just the inexperience showing up I think.

Luke MC and Adam Byrne were both trying way too hard instead of just keeping it clever and letting our massive advantage in the pack count. Luke took a lot of sting out of our progress with bad decisions and some errors, plus a missed tackle or two. Adam forced just about everything - just a confident young guy getting his chance and not letting the game come to him. His defence was shaky at best, but he's a stallion in attack.

Front row were all awesome, as we're back row. Toner also immense.

Ross Byrne very tidy when he came on. Hope Joey's ankle isn't too bad. Looked nasty.

Henshaw wasn't quite on it but he was fine. Had to watch the match on French Bein and they had the soft horn for Ringrose - "Le Petit Perle du Leinster". They're not wrong.

Shocked by Northampton. Foden was an embarassment and cost 2 certain tries and implicated in a third. Another embarrassment, whose actions shock nobody anymore was Hartley.

I just want to know, does anybody in rugby need Hartley? Do Saints or England fans really feel represenTed by a psycho clown with declining abilities (incl mental by the looks). Do his teammates need that kind of liability on the pitch with them? Do the coaches want all this hard work over weeks ruined by a lunatic with zero self control? They don't even pick him to start. Opponents don't want him on the pitch with them. Not because they respect his ability/presence. They don't want to be the ones decapitated by a wild psycho.

Who wants or needs this guy in the game? Forget about bans. The club should terminate his contract for his conduct and show its great (and suffering) fans that the club is better than a shelter for violent and unhinged neanderthals.
Last edited by jezzer on December 10th, 2016, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Northampton Saints v Leinster BT Friday 7.45

Post by artaneboy »

The first 15 minutes until Carberry went off, was as good as I've seen in years. The worrying part was the failure to score at the end of the first half- despite multiple phases. A long term problem with determined and organised defences, that despite attempts to pin it all in Matt O'Connor, goes back to Joe's reign. But it was a small worry relatively in what was a great performance.
Last edited by artaneboy on December 10th, 2016, 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

blockhead wrote:Hartley already has 54 weeks of bans to his name. That's over a year out of the game for sheer thuggery! Throw the book at him FFS.
Possible he will get 10 weeks as he wont get it reduced for previous record. Rory Best & Jamie George will have enjoyed tonight.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Personally I now feel like a dick for slagging off Lawes in advance of the match.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

And despite its monumental stupidity, I'm not sure that what Hartley did was actually the stupidest thing Northampton did. Taking Wood off so the hooker could come back on ran it damn close.
I have Bumbleflex