Northampton Saints v Leinster BT Friday 7.45

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Northampton Saints v Leinster BT Friday 7.45

Post by wixfjord »

This is a big 'un.
Hopefully with two weeks rest we can re-integrated the lads well. The mood music sounds like Sexton will be out for first leg at least.
Northampton are no mugs and have a backbone of quality, but if we're as good as we think we are we should be gunning for a win here.

Side I'd pick:

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Dev, Mike Mac, SOB/Conan, VDF, Heaslip, Luke M, Carbery, A Byrne, Henshaw, Ringrose, Isa, Rob K
Tracy, Healy, Bent, Nagle, Conan/Leavy, JGP, Reid (if fit, if not R Byrne), ZK

Be interesting to see if North starts, considering the furore over his HIA at the weekend. Brookes & Clark are both suspended for them.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Northampton Saints v Leinster BT Friday 7.45

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd be surprised if you were a million miles off with that. The only minor issue is that Ross Byrne isn't currently in our squad, so that change will have to be made.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Would like to see:
RK, Adam Byrne, Ringrose, Henshaw, Isa, Carbery, JGP, McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Nagle, Toner, SO'B, JVDF Jamie.
Bench: Cian, Treacy, Bent, Molony, Leavy, Conan, McGrath, O'Loughlin.

Win up front and we can get a result. Isa can cover 10 in an tight, away game. Big challenge would be to cover a centre injury. Our back-row have had a busy November and our subs are of the highest quality. Saints have Woods coming off five successive weeks and Picamoles having played 6 weeks in a row to next Friday. I hope Dev and Nagle can give us a big scrum and Molony continue the pressure on their lineout from 55 mins.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Would like to see:
RK, Adam Byrne, Ringrose, Henshaw, Isa, Carbery, JGP, McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Nagle, Toner, SO'B, JVDF Jamie.

Win up front and we can get a result. Isa can cover 10 in an tight, away game. Big challenge would be to cover a centre injury. Our back-row have had a busy November and our subs are of the highest quality. Saints have Woods coming off five successive weeks and Picamoles having played 6 weeks in a row to next Friday. I hope Dev and Nagle can give us a big scrum and Molony continue the pressure on their lineout from 55 mins.
We'll get something very close to that. Think he'll want an out-half on the bench rather than the 6-2 forwards-backs split, R.Byrne in ahead of Conan so. Strauss will probably be ahead of Tracy for the bench spot after the latter's horror show against Dragons. Luke McGrath will likely start ahead of JGP. Reid will probably be selected ahead of O'Loughlin as number 23 if fit.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Would like to see:

We'll get something very close to that. Think he'll want an out-half on the bench rather than the 6-2 forwards-backs split, R.Byrne in ahead of Conan so. Strauss will probably be ahead of Tracy for the bench spot after the latter's horror show against Dragons. Luke McGrath will likely start ahead of JGP. Reid will probably be selected ahead of O'Loughlin as number 23 if fit.
I can't see Leo wanting Reid v Burrell at any point, hence.opting for RO'L. Byrne just doesn't look up to this level at 10, hence the suggestion of Isa if Joey can't do 80. We've opted for a 6/2 split already and with our back-row strength and the 5 weeks that our back-rows have had and how well the options are playing, it could be a real strength. My call on Treacy was based on their front-row scrumaging.

However, fully agree it could go either way with every call.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:This is a big 'un.
Hopefully with two weeks rest we can re-integrated the lads well. The mood music sounds like Sexton will be out for first leg at least.
Northampton are no mugs and have a backbone of quality, but if we're as good as we think we are we should be gunning for a win here.

Side I'd pick:

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Dev, Mike Mac, SOB/Conan, VDF, Heaslip, Luke M, Carbery, A Byrne, Henshaw, Ringrose, Isa, Rob K

Be interesting to see if North starts, considering the furore over his HIA at the weekend. Brookes & Clark are both suspended for them.
Seems about right. The only variables are the fitness of players e.g. SOB, Reid, RK, Henshaw.

3 players that started last weekend: Luke Mc, Carbery and Isa.
For some players, it will be almost 2 months since they last played for Leinster (our Euro games) - I think (without checking) Heaslip, Henshaw, Furlong and McGrath, maybe others - Sexton if, by some miracle, he plays, will not have played since our opening game in Europe!
For many, they won't have played since the middle of October vs Connacht - I think (without checking) Rob, Ringrose, maybe others.

It was great to beat New Zealand of course. However, this autumn series has been massively disruptive for Leinster. Almost as disruptive as the World Cup.
For comparison with the last Northampton game away, half of our XV started the week previously in the Pro12. Imagine the moaning if MOC was here still.
Maybe there will be some "bounce" from the international players but maybe their reintegration will be poorly managed, like last season. We will know on Friday night I guess.
Regardless, a four game friendly international series at such a crucial point in the club season is just insane.
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Anyone have update on actual fitness of Henshaw and SOB for Northampton game. Rumour SOB injury a lot worse than initially thought I really hope not . We will need leaders away on friday night.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Further disruption for Northampton this week with news Lam talked to them too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

curates_egg wrote:

Side I'd pick:

Seems about right. The only variables are the fitness of players e.g. SOB, Reid, RK, Henshaw.

For some players, it will be almost 2 months since they last played for Leinster (our Euro games) - I think (without checking) Heaslip, Henshaw, Furlong and McGrath, maybe others - Sexton if, by some miracle, he plays, will not have played since our opening game in Europe!
For many, they won't have played since the middle of October vs Connacht - I think (without checking) Rob, Ringrose, maybe others.

It was great to beat New Zealand of course. However, this autumn series has been massively disruptive for Leinster. Almost as disruptive as the World Cup.
For comparison with the last Northampton game away, half of our XV started the week previously in the Pro12. Imagine the moaning if MOC was here still.
Maybe there will be some "bounce" from the international players but maybe their reintegration will be poorly managed, like last season. We will know on Friday night I guess.
Regardless, a four game friendly international series at such a crucial point in the club season is just insane.
Not this ''friendly'' cr@p again. I thought that was just from soccer fans looking to troll
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Injury update gives feck all clarity.

Sounds like Sexton and SOB will be out, Henshaw and RK probably in and absolutely no clarity about Reid or Bent.

WTF does 'being monitored by medical staff' mean? Such PR guff!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

leinsterforever wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Side I'd pick:

Not this ''friendly'' cr@p again. I thought that was just from soccer fans looking to troll
You're right. This is the real issue facing us as Leinster fans this week. How obtuse of me.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Nothing to do with PR. It's all about information management. If we don't know, then they don't know.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Nothing to do with PR. It's all about information management. If we don't know, then they don't know.
I'm well aware of why they don't give info out, but if there's nothing to say then don't say anything!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Nothing to do with PR. It's all about information management. If we don't know, then they don't know.
I'm well aware of why they don't give info out, but if there's nothing to say then don't say anything!
True dat!
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Interesting week of bluff and counter-bluff as both sets of Management try to a) focus on integration of internationals and b) prepare for teams with very different emphasis than they have displayed over the past 6 weeks.

In these circumstances, if you can fly a few kites, it can take pressure off your own preparation or put additional media pressure on your opponents. Fair game and sometimes entertaining, sometimes a pain in the butt.
JohnI
Beginner

Post by JohnI »

Saints fan looking forward to the next two weeks in lots of ways and maybe not so many in others.
Been no secret that saints have stalled this season for various reasons but I'm hoping we actually turn up on Friday night and pull something out of the bag to change around what has been a pretty dismal season so far. I'm expecting Leinster to be favourites for the two matches so hopefully that will put the pressure on your guys to live up to it.
Hopefully there are quite a few fans making the trip across here to the Gardens on Friday, although understanding the travel arrangements for a Friday are far from ideal. The following weekend my fair wife and I travel to Dublin for the return fixture, something we are both looking forward to after our last trip there for the return match a few years ago when we joined some Leinster and Munster supporters for a few drinks afterwards that night.
Safe journey to the travellers and good luck on the days.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Seems like there are a fair few of us going over fellow John. See you on terrace d. Had a good time there last time. Not expecting the same result. Would be happy with scoring less over the 2 games. But getting 8 match points instead of 5 this time.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

John I - Important question! What time will the local pubs be closing on Friday? A 7.45pm kick off probably means a 9.30 - 9.45 finish. Half hour walk back to town, doesnt leave much time for celebrations or drowning of sorrows. Can't remember the name of the pub we were in the last time (real ale place near the Carlsberg brewery) but we had a great time.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:John I - Important question! What time will the local pubs be closing on Friday? A 7.45pm kick off probably means a 9.30 - 9.45 finish. Half hour walk back to town, doesnt leave much time for celebrations or drowning of sorrows. Can't remember the name of the pub we were in the last time (real ale place near the Carlsberg brewery) but we had a great time.
the Malt Shovel - and it closes at 11! :(
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We had pints in the ground. Probably not as nice as the pints in the shovel but easier to get to.

Surely the whole of Northampton doesn't close at 11?