NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Aird
Bookworm

Re: NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

Post by Aird »

You could of course, ask Ulster how they managed to Broadcast an away match last year when there was no TV coverage with commentary provided by Messrs Bowe and Touhey.
Can't remember which game but I think it could have been Edinburgh with Glasgow playing at home on the same night.
I would expect Leinster to be videoing the game any way so the question then is how to get it out on to the Internet.
Mind you Leinster may not have the ability to provide a commentary team of the same standard.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Aird wrote:You could of course, ask Ulster how they managed to Broadcast an away match last year when there was no TV coverage with commentary provided by Messrs Bowe and Touhey.
Can't remember which game but I think it could have been Edinburgh with Glasgow playing at home on the same night.
I would expect Leinster to be videoing the game any way so the question then is how to get it out on to the Internet.
Mind you Leinster may not have the ability to provide a commentary team of the same standard.
It was Periscoped iirc.

If Leinster announced that they'd live stream a game using a phone or one camera set up running off an away stadium's questionable WiFi and it cut out then we'd have uproar. The technology isn't at that level yet and they'd end up getting the blame in the likely event that it was a poor stream.

I agree with Dave et al though, it's a little rich for us to be complaining about games not being televised when we're probably the most accessible team in Europe for TV fans.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I watched an Ulster pre-season match last year from Ravenhill on Periscope - without commentary - and it was grand!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

riocard911 wrote:I watched an Ulster pre-season match last year from Ravenhill on Periscope - without commentary - and it was grand!!!
Was that the one that Leinster did one up in Ulster about 18 months ago and the quality was pretty cr@p. You couldn't really tell what was happening properly at all. And if we're all honest we know that if something like that were to start happening then the complaint would just change from "why is there no coverage" to "why is the coverage so cr@p" to "how in this day and age can this not be in UHD" or whatever. We're a nation of whingers. Just look at the general online reaction to Sexton starting.

Best coverage of any league out there? Nah, not good enough, it's a disgrace if not every match is broadcast. I mean it's one area where the Pro12 hands down beats the other leagues and yet it's still used as a stick. Mad Ted. Mad.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:I watched an Ulster pre-season match last year from Ravenhill on Periscope - without commentary - and it was grand!!!
That's a pre season game though, and there's no guarantee that the WiFi in Rodney Parade will work. As I say, it's a pure lottery, so for Leinster or anyone to go promoting a stream that they can't guarantee would be setting themselves up for something to go wrong.

It just isn't as simple as some seem to think it is.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

molloyjh wrote:
Was that the one that Leinster did one up in Ulster about 18 months ago and the quality was pretty cr@p. You couldn't really tell what was happening properly at all. And if we're all honest we know that if something like that were to start happening then the complaint would just change from "why is there no coverage" to "why is the coverage so cr@p" to "how in this day and age can this not be in UHD" or whatever. We're a nation of whingers. Just look at the general online reaction to Sexton starting.

Best coverage of any league out there? Nah, not good enough, it's a disgrace if not every match is broadcast. I mean it's one area where the Pro12 hands down beats the other leagues and yet it's still used as a stick. Mad Ted. Mad.
Exactly. If you can't do guaranteed HD streaming then you shouldn't do it all, because you're setting yourself up for complaints.

It's the same with TG4 coverage, people will complain and moan because it's in Irish, and not fathom that if it wasn't for TG4 they wouldn't be seeing that game at all.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have seen a lot of tg4 and bbc regional coverage that is not in hd. Don't think you can be quite that fussy.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:I have seen a lot of tg4 and bbc regional coverage that is not in hd. Don't think you can be quite that fussy.
And I've seen tonnes of complaints, including on here, about picture quality on TG4 and TV3. We just love giving out!
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

non-televised games make TG4 seem like a premium seat, on the half-way line, in the aviva...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wixfjord wrote:
johng wrote:I have seen a lot of tg4 and bbc regional coverage that is not in hd. Don't think you can be quite that fussy.
And I've seen tonnes of complaints, including on here, about picture quality on TG4 and TV3. We just love giving out!
If you are talking about streaming. Many people would have a problem with the bandwidth required to stream hd.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
If you are talking about streaming. Many people would have a problem with the bandwidth required to stream hd.
Many people would have a problem with any kind of online streaming not to mind the problems with in stadium WiFi, you're making my point for me John!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:
Is breá liom TG4 agus Rugbaí Beo! f%~k the begrudgers!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Showing a preseason match on Periscope or the like wouldn't be stepping on any broadcasters toes. TG4 would have a case against Leinster Rugby if they streamed the Dragons game and thus cut into their highlights package audience. I doubt they'd do anything to be honest but a) lawyers are risk averse and b) it would be unethical by Leinster Rugby.

So it's not happening would be my take and I don't think the problems are technical.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wixfjord wrote:
johng wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Many people would have a problem with any kind of online streaming not to mind the problems with in stadium WiFi, you're making my point for me John!
Did you think I was arguing with you? :lol:
Last edited by johng on February 24th, 2017, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

The Laighin Pit just posted this on twitter so it might be possible to view online ........

https://twitter.com/LaighinPit/status/8 ... 3505274882
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Radio commentary on BBC Wales apparantly
A proud Winsome Fluter
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

BlueWheels wrote:The Laighin Pit just posted this on twitter so it might be possible to view online ........

Great stuff! I'll sure give it a go!!!
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

BlueWheels wrote:The Laighin Pit just posted this on twitter so it might be possible to view online ........

No Joy :( :( :( :(
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Radio commentary good, if one eyed.
A proud Winsome Fluter
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »