Sat 7th October 2pm Leinster v Munster (Aviva Stadium)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Sat 7th October 2pm Leinster v Munster (Aviva Stadium)

Post by wixfjord »

A lot of talk around so far this week from coaches, ex-players, current players about increase in intensity, tightening up our game and moving to the next level in the season.

Hopefully that's not idle talk and we get some semblance of the performance that we're capable of next Sat, starting with better set piece, less unforced errors and some more incisiveness from the backline.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

wixfjord wrote:A lot of talk around so far this week from coaches, ex-players, current players about increase in intensity, tightening up our game and moving to the next level in the season.

Hopefully that's not idle talk and we get some semblance of the performance that we're capable of next Sat, starting with better set piece, less unforced errors and some more incisiveness from the backline.
The good thing is that despite shocking performances against poor opposition (mainly missed tackles, inconsistent line outs, lack of fluidity in attack including frustrating knock ons etc no need to spell out further) we do have a lot of quality players at the club and they have been in this position before.

You would expect 2 Lions props to be much better on 2nd outing, & 2 second rows as well, 2 hookers to have spent extra time with jumpers/lifters/decoys to cure long standing line out issues, add in quality back row & you have a great platform for Luke & Jonny neither of whom were great against Edinburgh.

If the pack & half backs perform hopefully Henshaw will get back to the pace of the game as quickly as he did on his return last year & although Ringrose is a huge loss ROL will benefit from stability & may earn position on a wing when Ringrose returns. Carbury looks stronger/bulkier this year & is a definite asset in attack. That leaves the wings and seeing Nadolo score 3 trys last week & Naguso back to form we could of done with Lowe + 1. From the limited amount that I have seen Larmour he looks the part as an attacking force as does Adam Byrne but only the coaching team will know how to literally tackle Nadolo, Naguso, and Seymour in weeks to come.

Time for the coaching team to earn their crust because unless we improve dramatically in a few weeks we are in for a hard landing.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Folks,

Following the attack at the Manchester Arena during the summer, the Aviva upped their security for concerts & sporting events. I haven't heard if they'll be in place for Saturday but just thought I'd mention it. Here's what the FAI posted prior to the game against Austria.

Safety & Security
Supporters travelling to Aviva Stadium are advised to arrive at least one hour ahead of kick-off to get through security and they are reminded of new security measures:

- Aviva Stadium Management are introducing a “No Bag Policy” to all events in the stadium

- It is important that supporters do not bring any bags or rucksacks to the game

- Searching procedures will be in place at all entry points and because of this it is advisable all supporters arrive a little earlier than normal

They did actually let bags into the stadium but they were all searched, so it might be better to avoid bringing them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Thanks for the heads up
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Fogarty confirmed that Luke McGrath (arm) and Fergus McFadden (hamstring) came through the win over Edinburgh at the RDS Arena last Friday with no issues and are due to be available for selection this weekend.

Leinster’s four returning Lions from last week, Johnny Sexton, Tadhg Furlong, Seán O’Brien and Jack McGrath, came through their first game of the season with no issues and all are available for selection this weekend, while Robbie Henshaw, who didn’t feature against Edinburgh, is also available.

Noel Reid was withdrawn from the game last Friday night with a head injury and has entered the return to play protocols.

Isa Nacewa (calf) will continue to rehab his injury and will be assessed later this week.

Meanwhile, James Ryan (foot) is set to return to training next week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Whatever about lineout, I'm interested to see how our pack goes given the front five they'll probably be playing.

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Fardy, Toner,
Healy, Tracy, Bent, Molony

versus

Kilcyone, Scannell, Ryan, Flanagan/Copeland, Holland
O’Connor, Marshall, Archer, Flanagan/Copeland

looks like a fair advantage for us on paper.

Only place I'd have them better is hooker.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:Whatever about lineout, I'm interested to see how our pack goes given the front five they'll probably be playing.

versus

Not hard.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Whatever about lineout, I'm interested to see how our pack goes given the front five they'll probably be playing.

versus

Copeland starting helps us more on their ball as POM and Holland the 2 main targets
What would help more is JVDF so someone like Furlong can do a one man lift to potentially compete with 3 guys in the air on their ball

On our ball theres still opportunity for them to mark Fardy with POM and Toner with Holland and force us to be creative or risky
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:

versus

Copeland starting helps us more on their ball as POM and Holland the 2 main targets
What would help more is JVDF so someone like Furlong can do a one man lift to potentially compete with 3 guys in the air on their ball

On our ball theres still opportunity for them to mark Fardy with POM and Toner with Holland and force us to be creative or risky
Yeah I'm sort of leaving aside the lineout, don't think we can say we've much of an advantage there!

If we really wanted to compete in lineout, we could stick in Ruddock, Murphy/JVDF and Conan in backrow too and go at them. All three of those are good jumpers.
Highly unlikely though.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Leavy the other one man liftable backrower but thats academic

Jordi, like most facets, is good in lineout but doesnt get credit. His turnovet count seems up this year too

I reckon scrums will only get interesting when subs start to come on
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:Leavy the other one man liftable backrower but thats academic

Jordi, like most facets, is good in lineout but doesnt get credit. His turnovet count seems up this year too

why? not like Leinster scrum has been dominant.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:Leavy the other one man liftable backrower but thats academic

Jordi is a top jumper alright.
We should be using him more. Schmidt does.

Conan had that about his game but seems to be using it less compared to this time last season.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:

why? not like Leinster scrum has been dominant.
Certainly not in all games this season it hasn't! That said, our first choice scrum only finally played last weekend for the first time.
From the little I have seen of it, the Munster scrum has been very strong this season. Ryan is really strong. Kilcoyne is a master of illegal scrummaging and boring - he has caused us trouble before when refs have let him get away with it. A lot will be down to the ref.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Haven't been impressed with Rhys since his return, and given that he didn't shore up the lineout last week I think I'd go with SOB and VDF at 6 and 7. I'm guessing we'll take our points more often on Saturday and if we plump for the scrum more than the lineout then it shouldn't be as big an issue.

Bleyendaal has been mixed from what I've seen, would be interesting to see how he copes with Josh getting in his face all day long.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

versus

Lot of people on here like yourself seem to forget how good our hookers can be...Tracy had 2/3 crucial turnovers at the breakdown for us against cheetahs when we were under serious pressure while Cronin had a fine game last weekend, one great line break when we needed it and a crucial try against Cardiff...
maybe the lineout malfunction last week was a collective which it seemed to me...missed lifts, jumpers running into each other and poor calling, not always the hooker
Some people on here don't have a clue
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gearzbox2 wrote:

versus

Lot of people on here like yourself seem to forget how good our hookers can be...Tracy had 2/3 crucial turnovers at the breakdown for us against cheetahs when we were under serious pressure while Cronin had a fine game last weekend, one great line break when we needed it and a crucial try against Cardiff...
maybe the lineout malfunction last week was a collective which it seemed to me...missed lifts, jumpers running into each other and poor calling, not always the hooker
You're dead right dude.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Saturday's match is going to be close.
Neither tean has played particularly well.
Munster's strength has been based on the essentials.
Good scrum, good lineout etc.
Leinster's strength has been winning despite playing poorly.equipment
Let's hope we cut out the clueless lineouts.
Do that and we will win a tight game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Gearzbox2 wrote:

versus

A very astute observation on our line out difficulties.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Gearzbox2 wrote:

versus

Oh, didn't you hear? The hookers only job is throwing into the lineout and only the hooker has influence on it's outcome.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

COYBIB wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:

versus

Oh, didn't you hear? The hookers only job is throwing into the lineout and only the hooker has influence on it's outcome.
Hadn't heard that myself tbh.