Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by Hornet »

I just have a gut feeling that this will end very badly for Carbery. From being mentored by, probably the best Fly Half in the world ATM, to going a team to be mentored by ??? If I was Byrne and Frawley I would be draining Sexton of every last drop of his extensive Rugby nous. It would not surprise me to see Munster defy the IRFU and play Carbery at 15, to the point where he decides to do a Madigan. He should have gone to Ulster as that's where the 10 shortage is, not to Munster to cover their failure to bring on a 10 over the years.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
the spoofer wrote:If we tolerate this, then Porter will be next.
And on, and on...

But what exactly can we do?
Should we march on somewhere?

I still have my Pitchfork and torch from the 'Tomane' incident yesterday! :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:He is going to our biggest rival... I hope it goes poorly for him at 10 and he returns to leinster in two seasons to play 15.
Wow...and with such great supporters like you I'm sure he'll be itching to get back after you've taken delight in him having a miserable two years.
I'm supposed to take delight in munster succeeding? Nah i'm good.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I get that perspective RTB but have a feeling that the persuasion tactics that were used were more "sorry Joey, looks like I'm going to have to start picking Ross Byrne because he's been in the ten shirt, wouldn't that be awful for you?" more so than "if you get more game time your game will develop".

Absolutely. That version is like go easy on Joey he has made a decision for the good of his rugby, the reality is he has spent the last 6 weeks + doing everything possible for this to not be the outcome. He wanted to stay at Leinster, all the other stuff might help his career but it is not what he wanted himself.

Bill Johnston can look forward to less then the 62minutes of rugby he got this season anyway.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:He is going to our biggest rival... I hope it goes poorly for him at 10 and he returns to leinster in two seasons to play 15.
Wow...and with such great supporters like you I'm sure he'll be itching to get back after you've taken delight in him having a miserable two years.
I'm supposed to take delight in munster succeeding? Nah i'm good.
Not what I was saying at all, and I'm against the move.

I'm saying that players are actually human beings and not commodities just here to serve your interests, so it's a pretty shitty thing to hope "it goes poorly for him"...it's his actual life FFS and he doesn't owe you a thing.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not what I was saying at all, and I'm against the move.

I'm saying that players are actually human beings and not commodities just here to serve your interests, so it's a pretty shitty thing to hope "it goes poorly for him"...it's his actual life FFS and he doesn't owe you a thing.
This.

Personally I'm disappointed to see him go. But not half as disappointed as I'd be with another early RWC exit due to a lack of depth in key positions. We're in a situation right now where none of the other 3 provinces have an international 10 on their books, while Leinster have 2. Potentially 3. That can't continue. And if Joey thinks his best option longer term is to move to Munster for a couple of seasons then all the best to him. That's a hit I'm okay for Leinster to take if it helps Ireland next year. And given how rarely we saw him at 10 for Leinster this year, I'm not sure the hit we'll be taking will be all that significant anyway.

What a lot of people don't seem to (want to) realise is that the relationship with the IRFU is truly symbiotic. We wouldn't be as successful without them and they wouldn't be as successful without us. In those situations there's always an element of taking the rough with the smooth. That's just real life. And as you said LRIP, this is Joeys life too. I wish the guy luck and hope this pays off, albeit with an element of sadness at his departure.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I get that perspective RTB but have a feeling that the persuasion tactics that were used were more "sorry Joey, looks like I'm going to have to start picking Ross Byrne because he's been in the ten shirt, wouldn't that be awful for you?" more so than "if you get more game time your game will develop".

Absolutely. That version is like go easy on Joey he has made a decision for the good of his rugby, the reality is he has spent the last 6 weeks + doing everything possible for this to not be the outcome. He wanted to stay at Leinster, all the other stuff might help his career but it is not what he wanted himself.

Bill Johnston can look forward to less then the 62minutes of rugby he got this season anyway.
I like how Joe said he played very little part in it all too...must have just been at the meetings to sweep up and make the tea.

I do think this is a good move for Joey to develop at ten and don't have the "Munster" concerns that others do about it, but I'd be surprised if we don't see Johnston coming on and Joey moving to 15 on occasion. I've no issue with that but it'll be frustrating to see all the same.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

joooooe wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
EarthGorilla wrote:A dark day for Irish rugby.

- Munster have a larger logjam at 10 than we do, and that is before JC moves.
- Leinster lose one of the best talents to emerge from their academy with no compensation.
- Munster, having been bailed out on their stadium, exceptions to allow them to have 7 NIQ players and now they once again get bailed out, at their biggest rivals expenze. "Linster bias" eh?
- And what of Ulster, the team who needed a 10? They get a Munster reject?

Munster Rugby - Feeder Club.

Joe Schmidt did great things at Leinster, but he can get the boat. A disgrace.
Leinster are the good son who works hard and helps the father out on the farm. He's good at sports, studies hard and all the girls love.

Munster are the feckless son who goes on the piss, sleeps all day and still expects to get half the farm

Ulster are the daughter who got knocked up and disgraced the family

Connacht are the younger son who no one takes seriously.
Ulster is Sonny, their questionable morals and lack of clear headed thinking leading him into trouble.

Connacht is Connie, getting slapped around by the IRFU.

Leinster is Michael, sorting out everyone else's problems yet still emerging as the Don.

Munster is Fredo, constantly getting themselves into trouble and presuming Michael will bail him out.

What's the Limerick for Banana Daiquiri?
If Leinster are any Michael it's Michael Bluth from Arrested Development, holding the family together while feckless brother Gob (Munster) indulges his latest hobby/makes a huge mistake.

Ulster are Lyndsey; seemingly having all the tools but managing to get everything wrong all the time.

So who's Buster? That's also Munster. Connacht are Maeby and Saracens are Ann Veal in case you're wondering.

You must admit, the above makes at least as much sense as moving Carbery to Munster.

(While I'm at it, theyre Mac from It's Always Sunny too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

BELIEVE IT OR BELIVE IT NOT THE NEWS TOOK JOE BY SURPRISE
reland coach Joe Schmidt confirmed that Joey Carbery will play his rugby with Munster next season. Speaking before the Ireland team travels to Australia for a three-match tour, Schmidt said he was as “surprised” as anyone at Carbery’s move and that he did not have any hand in persuading the 21-year-old to leave Leinster.
Despite Leinster consistently saying that the player was content and happy living and playing in Dublin, the Ireland coach said that Carbery’s decision was news to him and the move to Munster was his decision alone.
“It’s new news to me,” said Schmidt. “I haven’t had time to digest it personally. It’s a decision Joey has taken a bit of time over. It doesn’t seem to have affected his performances any. I think he’s played very well.
“I understand why Leinster would be desperately keen to hang on to him and why Munster feel that it’s a huge bonus for them.
“That’s a decision he’s made. Apart from him catching up with me, which was nicely photographed, I’ve left him to it. “
The move is designed specifically to allow Carbery to play at outhalf, where Schmidt sees his long-term career with the national team.
But the coach could not say if Carbery’s move was conditional on him playing at 10 rather than fullback, where he played most of his rugby with Leinster this season.
“I have no idea. I have no idea,” added Schmidt at the team’s base in Carton House.
It means Ross Byrne, who has matured greatly as a player this season and who has lined out more at outhalf for Leinster than Carbery will back up Johnny Sexton next season.
Carbery is the third highly rated Irish outhalf in recent times to leave his club to gain more time in a favoured position following JJ Hanrahan and Ian Madigan.

“The initial conversation with Leo [Cullen] and myself and David Nucifora was not the best timing for any of us,” added Schmidt about the meeting he had with the Leinster coach during the latter stages of the European Champions Cup.
“It certainly wasn’t where I wanted to be at the time but I had a job to do,” added Schmidt.
He said that all he asked of Cullen was if Carbery had any interest in moving to Ulster. He did not say he used pressure or influence on Carbery to make the decision to leave Leinster.
“I honestly wasn’t sure what he was going to do,” said Schmidt. “I thought quite possibly he was going to stay put. I haven’t had that much time to think about it. I’ve had a quite a few other things on my plate.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Connacht played Henshaw at 15 his first season. Leinster have put guys on the wing before moving to centre or fullback.

Carbery's ability to play fullback is as useful to Ireland as it was to Leinster. Carbery is now going into an environment where kicking goals and playing territory are the defining characteristics of an outhalf.

This is happening mid-contract. We should pay attention to that because the same thing happened to Conway. Starting ages similar. Conway started challenge Cup final and pro 12 final. Went to Munster and took 4 years to establish himself as an Irish squad regular.

First thing Munster did after getting Conway was sign Gert van den Heever in the same position.

It was a mistake then, it's a mistake now. Carbery will have more competition for gametime in Munster and he's opened the door for Ross Byrne to take his place at international level.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote:Connacht played Henshaw at 15 his first season. Leinster have put guys on the wing before moving to centre or fullback.

Carbery's ability to play fullback is as useful to Ireland as it was to Leinster. Carbery is now going into an environment where kicking goals and playing territory are the defining characteristics of an outhalf.

This is happening mid-contract. We should pay attention to that because the same thing happened to Conway. Starting ages similar. Conway started challenge Cup final and pro 12 final. Went to Munster and took 4 years to establish himself as an Irish squad regular.

First thing Munster did after getting Conway was sign Gert van den Heever in the same position.

It was a mistake then, it's a mistake now. Carbery will have more competition for gametime in Munster and he's opened the door for Ross Byrne to take his place at international level.
Much better articulation of the subject than I can currently muster for Munster all I'm thinking now is "oh you utter cunning stunts!"
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
EarthGorilla wrote:He absolutely can get the boat on this one "pal".

Choosing short termism for his job that he is likely leaving in 2019 over long term view. Moving JC to Ulster is something that could be stood behind. Munster? Absolutely not.
Singling Joe out as the responsible person here also shows some adorable naivety on your part. Or just tabloid-esqe scapegoating
I'm not in agreement with the comment on Joe, however to think that this is not a Joe led move is plain wrong. It was Joe who met Joey and his father re the move to Ulster, it was Joe who spoke to Leo ahead of the champions cup semifinal, it was Joe who witnessed his first choice outhalf getting injured in RWC15 to be replaced by an player who played more mins at 12, 15 and off the bench than starting OH.

Whoever else was involved Joe was certainly at the centre of this.

And btw. I love the guy for everything he's done for Leinster and Ireland in the last 7 years.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There isn't a hope in hell that Joey won't be starting at ten for Munster in the big games. Just don't get that argument at all.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

scrum25 wrote:BELIEVE IT OR BELIVE IT NOT THE NEWS TOOK JOE BY SURPRISE
reland coach Joe Schmidt confirmed that Joey Carbery will play his rugby with Munster next season. Speaking before the Ireland team travels to Australia for a three-match tour, Schmidt said he was as “surprised” as anyone at Carbery’s move and that he did not have any hand in persuading the 21-year-old to leave Leinster.
Despite Leinster consistently saying that the player was content and happy living and playing in Dublin, the Ireland coach said that Carbery’s decision was news to him and the move to Munster was his decision alone.
“It’s new news to me,” said Schmidt. “I haven’t had time to digest it personally. It’s a decision Joey has taken a bit of time over. It doesn’t seem to have affected his performances any. I think he’s played very well.
“I understand why Leinster would be desperately keen to hang on to him and why Munster feel that it’s a huge bonus for them.
“That’s a decision he’s made. Apart from him catching up with me, which was nicely photographed, I’ve left him to it. “
The move is designed specifically to allow Carbery to play at outhalf, where Schmidt sees his long-term career with the national team.
But the coach could not say if Carbery’s move was conditional on him playing at 10 rather than fullback, where he played most of his rugby with Leinster this season.
“I have no idea. I have no idea,” added Schmidt at the team’s base in Carton House.
It means Ross Byrne, who has matured greatly as a player this season and who has lined out more at outhalf for Leinster than Carbery will back up Johnny Sexton next season.
Carbery is the third highly rated Irish outhalf in recent times to leave his club to gain more time in a favoured position following JJ Hanrahan and Ian Madigan.

“The initial conversation with Leo [Cullen] and myself and David Nucifora was not the best timing for any of us,” added Schmidt about the meeting he had with the Leinster coach during the latter stages of the European Champions Cup.
“It certainly wasn’t where I wanted to be at the time but I had a job to do,” added Schmidt.
He said that all he asked of Cullen was if Carbery had any interest in moving to Ulster. He did not say he used pressure or influence on Carbery to make the decision to leave Leinster.
“I honestly wasn’t sure what he was going to do,” said Schmidt. “I thought quite possibly he was going to stay put. I haven’t had that much time to think about it. I’ve had a quite a few other things on my plate.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3515063

The source.

Can someone explain how a player can leave mid contract to a rival province without IRFU intervention?

If a contract has the value of toilet paper, why aren't we seeing more player led movements more often?

I don't buy his 'I had no idea' game, it just does not make sense. If it wasn't Schmidt, then it was Nucifora - potato, potahto, it's like saying Lancaster didn't know what Leo was doing with player contracts because technically Cullen's responsible for that area.

Edit: If it was a player decision, surely we'd have quotes from the player? He's happy to move, looking forward to it, good for his career - there's nothing, he didn't even break the news himself. It's just so bizarre.
Last edited by harblstuff on May 31st, 2018, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interesting release from his management company. Does it sound like a man who want's leave (genuine question btw)?

"lineupsmeOur client @joeycarbery will join Munster Rugby ahead of the 2018/19 season.
The out-half, who makes the move from Leinster, is currently part of the Ireland squad set to travel to Australia for the three-Test tour.

Addressing the recent speculation at an IRFU press conference today, Carbery confirmed he will be making the move to Munster.

The 22-year-old has made 37 appearances for Leinster, scoring 101 points, while at international level he has played on 10 occasions, scoring 22 points. We wish him every success and are confident that his contribution to @leinsterrugby will not be forgotten and his ability and ambition will as hugely to @munster_rugby . Wishing our friend all the best #teamlineup #LineUpSports #athletemanagement"
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Interesting release from his management company. Does it sound like a man who want's leave (genuine question btw)?

"lineupsmeOur client @joeycarbery will join Munster Rugby ahead of the 2018/19 season.
The out-half, who makes the move from Leinster, is currently part of the Ireland squad set to travel to Australia for the three-Test tour.

Addressing the recent speculation at an IRFU press conference today, Carbery confirmed he will be making the move to Munster.

The 22-year-old has made 37 appearances for Leinster, scoring 101 points, while at international level he has played on 10 occasions, scoring 22 points. We wish him every success and are confident that his contribution to @leinsterrugby will not be forgotten and his ability and ambition will as hugely to @munster_rugby . Wishing our friend all the best #teamlineup #LineUpSports #athletemanagement"
I edited my post above, but it's relevant again - he didn't announce it, for someone who apparently made the decision himself with no IRFU involvement according to Joe - there are no quotes, no 'good for my career', 'looking forward to the move' - we also don't even know for how long (officially, unofficially he's never coming back)

So strange.

They're not selling it, Carbery isn't selling it, Joe is denying involvement, we don't have any details, just two tweets from Leinster and Munster. I mean, since when can a player decide to leave their contract without the IRFU involved?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wow...and with such great supporters like you I'm sure he'll be itching to get back after you've taken delight in him having a miserable two years.
He's actively chosen to join our greatest rival over any other province, or just remaining here. For right or for wrong, it'll piss a lot of Leinster fans off.

Expecting a torrent of good wishes from those you've just left is a little much.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Logorrhea wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wow...and with such great supporters like you I'm sure he'll be itching to get back after you've taken delight in him having a miserable two years.
He's actively chosen to join our greatest rival over any other province, or just remaining here. For right or for wrong, it'll piss a lot of Leinster fans off.

Expecting a torrent of good wishes from those you've just left is a little much.
Maybe try reading my post again.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Those quotes from Joe stink of BS. As pointed out above, there is no way a player can initiate a move mid contract against the wishes of his province without IRFU sign off.

He also manages to get a dig in at the media re the photos. He's been involved in a bit of a phony war with the print media in recent months and I think his comments reflect that and is not a great position to be in.

Joe Schmidt has been amazing for Ireland and Leinster Rugby but he really needs to be held accountable for these statements. As others have said this is setting a bad precedent and while i'm sure Joe has the best interests of Team Ireland at heart especially with RWC19 in mind. This may not be aligned to the best long term interests of Irish Rugby and further dilutes the provincial system.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:

Maybe try reading my post again.
I read it. You seem to in some kind of bubble where players are humans with feelings and fans are not. As I said above, his decision will piss a lot of people off, and rightly so.

Don't want to get into an argument over this particular point. I just don't agree with you and feel that there is justification in Leinster fans being pissed and venting those frustrations.

He made a decision to the betterment of himself. Kinda like Conway did. Let the best fans in the world support him in it.