Munster v Leinster St Stephen's Day 3.15 TG4 & Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster v Leinster St Stephen's Day 3.15 TG4 & Sky Sport

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:Assuming it's something like last year and the internationals are only available for one interpro out of two, I 'd like to see us go full-bore against Munster. Obviously rotate a bit after the exertions against Exeter, but I think I'd back the lesser lights to do a job against Ulster, and pick the stronger options v Munster. Does talk of the Ulster game having more relevance because it's an in-conference game really make sense? Is that one game really going to determine whether or not we finish ahead of Ulster?
In terms of our Season, this doesn't make sense. In spite of two excellent wins against Exeter, few fans can claim that we played with great teamwork or attacking flair in either game, possibly with the exception of the first 13 mins of the Sandy Park game. After Munster, we have the unique opportunity (for this season at least) of three homes in succession which provide the ideal emotional and training build-up for our European fixtures.

Select a team to go to Thomond and then select the two sides to face Connacht and Ulster with a view to having the team against Glasgow playing at the top of their game and ready to go to Montpelier five days later. Ideally Exeter might have done us a favour, but regardless of that result, we will be hunting a win in France to optimise our Q/F venue.

Bring our best to Munster, and apart from the injury risk, we would face a fired up team who would play a game which would limit our attacking options. If we send down a team full of players with points to prove, whilst keeping the core of the team against Exeter, training together for a full fortnight, before unleashing them for four games in successive weeks, prior to them splitting up again until almost April.

As both an STH and Irish fan, that's the mind-set I would like to see from Leo, Girv and Burt. Get our Squad playing their best rugby from Jan 1st to 21st, get the necessary results and hand over our 17-20 Irish Squad members to Joe for 8 weeks. Simple really.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Assuming it's something like last year and the internationals are only available for one interpro out of two, I 'd like to see us go full-bore against Munster. Obviously rotate a bit after the exertions against Exeter, but I think I'd back the lesser lights to do a job against Ulster, and pick the stronger options v Munster. Does talk of the Ulster game having more relevance because it's an in-conference game really make sense? Is that one game really going to determine whether or not we finish ahead of Ulster?
In terms of our Season, this doesn't make sense. In spite of two excellent wins against Exeter, few fans can claim that we played with great teamwork or attacking flair in either game, possibly with the exception of the first 13 mins of the Sandy Park game. After Munster, we have the unique opportunity (for this season at least) of three homes in succession which provide the ideal emotional and training build-up for our European fixtures.

Select a team to go to Thomond and then select the two sides to face Connacht and Ulster with a view to having the team against Glasgow playing at the top of their game and ready to go to Montpelier five days later. Ideally Exeter might have done us a favour, but regardless of that result, we will be hunting a win in France to optimise our Q/F venue.

Bring our best to Munster, and apart from the injury risk, we would face a fired up team who would play a game which would limit our attacking options. If we send down a team full of players with points to prove, whilst keeping the core of the team against Exeter, training together for a full fortnight, before unleashing them for four games in successive weeks, prior to them splitting up again until almost April.

As both an STH and Irish fan, that's the mind-set I would like to see from Leo, Girv and Burt. Get our Squad playing their best rugby from Jan 1st to 21st, get the necessary results and hand over our 17-20 Irish Squad members to Joe for 8 weeks. Simple really.
When I say "full-bore", I mean that in the context that Ireland starters such as Furlong, Henshaw, Toner and Kearney may well not be available to face Munster because the Union won't want them playing three big matches in a row. I was thinking of something along the lines of:

v Munster:
1. McGrath, 2. Tracy, 3. Bent, 4. Ryan, 5. Fardy, 6. Josh Murphy, 7. Leavy, 8. Conan, 9. McGrath, 10. Byrne/Marsh, 11. Lowe 12. Nacewa, 13. Ringrose, 14. McFadden, 15. Larmour; 16. Cronin, 17. Byrne, 18. Porter, 19. Nagle/Molony/Kearney, 20. van der Flier, 21. McCarthy, 22. Marsh/Reid, 23. O'Loughlin

v Connacht:
1. Byrne, 2. Cronin, 3. Bent/Porter, 4. Kearney, 5. Toner, 6. Josh Murphy, 7. Leavy, 8. Deegan, 9. McCarthy/Gibson-Park, 10. Byrne/Marsh, 11. Larmour, 12. Henshaw, 13. O'Loughlin, 14. Byrne, 15. Kearney; 16. Tracy, 17. McGrath, 18. Porter/Bent, 19. Nagle/Molony, 20. van der Flier, 21. Gibson-Park/McCarthy, 22. Marsh/Reid, 23. D. Kearney

Last year Leinster got beaten pretty comprehensively in Thomond, so I'd like to see the likes of Conan and Luke McGrath there so there's not a mentality that they're a second string going down there just hoping for the best and thinking one point would be an okay result. It would be good to have Nacewa and McFadden to bring a bit of edge too
Wasp
Bookworm

Post by Wasp »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
The only other factor in the equation is that the Munster Branch (and IRFU who are owed a fortune by Thomand Park Ltd) need the gate and will pressurise Leinster to field a competitive team. That means selecting from at least the top 35 players!
Is the match not a sell out already??

I heard talk temporary seating was also being installed.....
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Wasp wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
The only other factor in the equation is that the Munster Branch (and IRFU who are owed a fortune by Thomand Park Ltd) need the gate and will pressurise Leinster to field a competitive team. That means selecting from at least the top 35 players!
Is the match not a sell out already??

I heard talk temporary seating was also being installed.....
Yep!

http://www.the42.ie/munster-leinster-pr ... 1-Dec2017/

Bring your daughter to the slaughter? :shock:
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

When do we get teams for this?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote:When do we get teams for this?
Heard tomorrow
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

mildlyinterested wrote:
the spoofer wrote:When do we get teams for this?
Heard tomorrow
12 noon Sat.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

15.Larmour
14. B Daly
13. O'Loughlin
12. Henshaw
11. Lowe
10. Byrne
9. JGP
1. J. McGrath -Capt
2. Treacy
3. Bent
4. Toner
5. Ryan
6. J. Murphy
7. Leavy
8. Conan

Bench
16. Strauss
17 Byrne
18. Furlong
19. Kearney
20. Van der Flier
21. McCarthy
22. Marsh
23. Reid

Interesting selection.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

eeeep

Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Sammy Arnold, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Ian Keatley, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (c), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, James Cronin, John Ryan, Darren O’Shea, Jack O’Donoghue, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Simon Zebo.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:eeeep

Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Sammy Arnold, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Ian Keatley, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (c), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, James Cronin, John Ryan, Darren O’Shea, Jack O’Donoghue, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Simon Zebo.
Looks fully locked and loaded. Home team picks its best#
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 1563777024

Much stronger team than I expected. Jack McGrath captain.

Still missing some heavy hitters and munster have gone full tilt (as expected)

Can't see us getting a win here but we should show up better than last year I hope and sneak an lbp
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Might be only 3 players who were first choice against Exeter (Henshaw, Toner & Conan) but a very good team and glad to see Jack Mc Grath get a chance to experience captaincy.

Munster have picked all their best players with possible exception of N.Scannell, J.Ryan & Zebo who are all on bench.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lowe! This is probably the most exciting pair of back lines to grace this fixture that I remember.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That 9/10 ain’t winning in Thomond unfortunately.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They’re full strength, still not sure I agree with Archer ahead of Ryan.

We’re fairly strong and the guys who are getting chances are getting chances to stake claims for international pecking order. This is especially true in our backrow, where we have guys who have to best their opponents to get ahead. It’s also true for Ross Byrne.

This is a rare opportunity for ROL to partner Henshaw and show what he can do.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

ronk wrote:They’re full strength, still not sure I agree with Archer ahead of Ryan.

We’re fairly strong and the guys who are getting chances are getting chances to stake claims for international pecking order. This is especially true in our backrow, where we have guys who have to best their opponents to get ahead. It’s also true for Ross Byrne.

This is a rare opportunity for ROL to partner Henshaw and show what he can do.
Would agree about backrow & Conan in particular. We Leinster fans might think he is worthy of place in Ireland back row but it sure would help if he dominated Stander & POM.

Leavy could also be on the bench for Ireland if he has a good next month.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Good potent team with enormous ability all round. Expect us to go for it and win this one.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Jack mar captaen really puts it up to Ciano in the "leadership" stakes!! Nice little psychological touch by the coaches!!
jedifart
Knowledgeable

Post by jedifart »

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a spare ticket for this I need one.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

not to labour a point repeatedly but we need strong officiating for this one to give that half back combo space
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon