Munster v Leinster St Stephen's Day 3.15 TG4 & Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster v Leinster St Stephen's Day 3.15 TG4 & Sky Sport

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:not to labour a point repeatedly but we need strong officiating for this one to give that half back combo space
Yeah, Munster tend to be very competitive (often illegal) at the breakdown against us in the Thomond fixture. It's ruined a few of the games, including ones we've won. Hopefully the ref does his job.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

wixfjord wrote:That 9/10 ain’t winning in Thomond unfortunately.
Munster are definitely favourites and have been in good form, but it's a stronger than expected Leinster selection and they definitely could pull off a win.

I think the scrum could be key. Kilcoyne is sometimes vulnerable in the scrum, and Michael Bent is a dark horse as a destructive scrummager. You would also think that Jack McGrath will get the better of Archer, and ex-prop James Tracy should beat Marshall in their scrummaging head-to-head. Toner and James Ryan are both noted as strong-scrummaging second rows also, while Billy Holland is undersized for the position for Munster. Now, scrum battles often confound expectations, but on paper, we can exert pressure at scrum time, which might give us a good platform from which to win the game.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

It's not a bad Leinster selection, but we said the same thing last season and they were duly stuffed. Munster to win by 15+. Real shame the way the new IRFU policy has led to uncompetitive games.

It's the first time in around 10 years I'm not heading down for the match. Not worth going to that hassle on St. Stephen's day hassle to watch the kind of bullshit mismatch we saw last year.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't wait for this, it's a good selection and my favourite fixture of the year...as long we perform that is.

I'm happy that we've gone for a mixed selection instead of one strong one and one weakened one over Christmas, but with Munster at full strength up front and with Murray behind them I think they'll have too much of an advantage for us to impose ourselves enough. Really looking forward to seeing James Ryan, hope he announces himself to everyone.

I'm just excited about seeing our talented young forwards and the prospect of Ross Byrne and Larmour putting themselves in the Ireland reckoning. If Munster do get on top and we struggle to get into our patterns then Lowe and Larmour might need to pull a rabbit out of a hat, they're capable of it though.

Edit: It'll be interesting to see the difference between our fresher team and how Munster do after two big weeks. Maybe the extra recovery time will mean it doesn't matter but I'm looking forward to the likes of Ryan, Leavy, Lowe, and Larmour tearing into Munster after not playing much recently.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:not to labour a point repeatedly but we need strong officiating for this one to give that half back combo space
Yeah, Munster tend to be very competitive (often illegal) at the breakdown against us in the Thomond fixture. It's ruined a few of the games, including ones we've won. Hopefully the ref does his job.
I was thinking more of offside line but that too

IIRC Killer v Bent tends to be a collapsey penalty fest
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster made life very hard for themselves last week against Exeter with a rubbish first half performance. But they showed some character at least to recover in the second half and earn the win to put them back in pole position.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Not much of a preview.
Looking forward to this myself as i don't think we'll take a step backwards down there.
You would have to question why van Graan is going full metal jacket against a team thats not in there conference. Particularly in light if tonights result.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:Not much of a preview.
Looking forward to this myself as i don't think we'll take a step backwards down there.
You would have to question why van Graan is going full metal jacket against a team thats not in there conference. Particularly in light if tonights result.
26K fans deserve respect. Munster are giving them that, we have picked the b-team. It's not Leinsters fault I know.This should be one of the biggest days of the year. IRFU need to re-think this.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't wait for this, it's a good selection and my favourite fixture of the year...as long we perform that is.

I'm happy that we've gone for a mixed selection instead of one strong one and one weakened one over Christmas, but with Munster at full strength up front and with Murray behind them I think they'll have too much of an advantage for us to impose ourselves enough. Really looking forward to seeing James Ryan, hope he announces himself to everyone.

I'm just excited about seeing our talented young forwards and the prospect of Ross Byrne and Larmour putting themselves in the Ireland reckoning. If Munster do get on top and we struggle to get into our patterns then Lowe and Larmour might need to pull a rabbit out of a hat, they're capable of it though.

Edit: It'll be interesting to see the difference between our fresher team and how Munster do after two big weeks. Maybe the extra recovery time will mean it doesn't matter but I'm looking forward to the likes of Ryan, Leavy, Lowe, and Larmour tearing into Munster after not playing much recently.
Interesting point. I'll always remember Ireland's Summer tour in 2006. After performing excellently twice against New Zealand, Eddie O'Sullivan made only one (enforced) change for the final game against the Aussies, changing the fullback. Ireland duly ran out of steam, and lost heavily. It's often difficult for a team to perform three weekends in a row versus tough opposition if there's not a bit of re-shuffling to freshen things up. If, hypothetically speaking, Leinster had a third game against Exeter this weekend, I think we could well have seen McGrath coming in for Healy (if he wasn't banned), Tracy coming in for Cronin, and Ryan coming into the starting XV.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Not much of a preview.
26K fans deserve respect. Munster are giving them that, we have picked the b-team. It's not Leinsters fault I know.This should be one of the biggest days of the year. IRFU need to re-think this.
IRFU dont mind seeing home wins in fixtures like this. I dont think they're ready to ditch conferences yet.

Personally I'd prefer conferences with a single overall league table because we still play every team at least once and 2 interpros.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

We have 3, maybe 4 first choice players starting and they're sending out their champions cup squad.

Anyone else getting a little sick of how this fixture is treated from our end? Basically one no different than if we were sending a team to Dragons in February.

Really devalues the fixture and hands a rival a moral boost when they think (or convince themselves) they're playing our 1sts.

This is a very satisfying fixture to win and we've barely lost to them when playing full strength over the last 7 years or so (with the exception of MOC), I suppose the IRFU directive to keep the locals interested and returning each year is important to their target of being able to pay their own electricity bill by 2020.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

COYBIB wrote:We have 3, maybe 4 first choice players starting and they're sending out their champions cup squad.

Anyone else getting a little sick of how this fixture is treated from our end? Basically one no different than if we were sending a team to Dragons in February.

Really devalues the fixture and hands a rival a moral boost when they think (or convince themselves) they're playing our 1sts.

This is a very satisfying fixture to win and we've barely lost to them when playing full strength over the last 7 years or so (with the exception of MOC), I suppose the IRFU directive to keep the locals interested and returning each year is important to their target of being able to pay their own electricity bill by 2020.
Healy is banned. McGrath isn't a step down anyway. Not very much between Tracey and Cronin. Sexton is injured. O'Brien is injured. Ruddock is injured.

In the back three, I'm not so sure Larmour, Daly, Lowe is much of a step down from Kearney, McFadden, Nacewa

Luke McGrath, Ringrose, Fardy definitely a loss, but it's not such a dramatic selection that it warrants offence.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

CiaranIrl wrote:
COYBIB wrote:We have 3, maybe 4 first choice players starting and they're sending out their champions cup squad.

Healy is banned. McGrath isn't a step down anyway. Not very much between Tracey and Cronin. Sexton is injured. O'Brien is injured. Ruddock is injured.

In the back three, I'm not so sure Larmour, Daly, Lowe is much of a step down from Kearney, McFadden, Nacewa

Luke McGrath, Ringrose, Fardy definitely a loss, but it's not such a dramatic selection that it warrants offence.
We've made 12 changes to our starting 15 against Exeter..
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
OSS
Beginner

Post by OSS »

COYBIB wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:

Nordi, Leavy and Conan bullying POM, TOD and O'Sheasaimh would be a result enough for me tbh...
Last edited by OSS on December 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Profile, locked out of permanent profile
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

CiaranIrl wrote:

This
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Nordi lmfao
Daniel Sullivan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

COYBIB wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:

Yes, we did. I noticed that too. That's why I addressed it in my post. Everything I said still stands.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:Nordi lmfao
Just got it :lol:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

When are people going to get it into their heads that due to IRFU player management and the Pro14 conference structure this was always going to be our selection for this game!
There's absolutely no surprise here, and we've rightly gone for a weakened side. It's a pragmatic selection.

It is what it is.

I for one am looking forward to seeing that pack go toe to toe with Munster's Champions Cup one. Imagine the excuses if we get the upper hand. :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Worth noting Munster are arguably missing their first choice 10 12 13
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon