Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
But that's the problem, we probably won't. It might be distasteful to some but like it or night a large portion of Leinster supporters are Dubs
yeah not to mention getting people to travel from outer counties on easter sunday.. well it's a big ask.

attendance will be worse than Exeter game IMO.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Don't agree. I'd expect the clash between an up and coming, potentially all-conquering Leinster and the back to back European champions from England to generate massive interest and on the day be a sell-out.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
But that's the problem, we probably won't. It might be distasteful to some but like it or night a large portion of Leinster supporters are Dubs
yeah not to mention getting people to travel from outer counties on easter sunday.. well it's a big ask.

attendance will be worse than Exeter game IMO.
I fear you might be right MI but I hope spoofer is and people travel from far and wide to make it. But you're right it's a big ask for people to travel from some of the other counties on an Easter Sunday. So fingers crossed.

At the end of the day I don't care who fills it I'd just want to see it filled with blue. I'll even take the left over Munster supporters.

..............okay I went too far there! :shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

riocard911 wrote:Don't agree. I'd expect the clash between an up and coming, potentially all-conquering Leinster and the back to back European champions from England to generate massive interest and on the day be a sell-out.
can't see it selling out myself, hopefully you are right.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

wixfjord wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote: The attendance was 53k.
You're right about the attendance Wixfjord but it was Kerry (kildare was the Leinster Final) with the Dubs in the final and Kerry didn't travel so about 40k were Dubs. A good number of those would definitely have gone to the Wasps game if they hadn't clashed.
As someone has said above, Kildare were in Div 2 final.

Also am I missing something here? The GAA NFL finals weren't on the same day as the Wasps game last year?[/quote]

Definitely not, I was at both

And for the record me and 10-15k other Kildare fans who were there are NOT Dubs!

(Although some of the "Dubs" were on the train home with us)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Twist wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote: The attendance was 53k.
You're right about the attendance Wixfjord but it was Kerry (kildare was the Leinster Final) with the Dubs in the final and Kerry didn't travel so about 40k were Dubs. A good number of those would definitely have gone to the Wasps game if they hadn't clashed.
As someone has said above, Kildare were in Div 2 final.

Also am I missing something here? The GAA NFL finals weren't on the same day as the Wasps game last year?

Definitely not, I was at both

And for the record me and 10-15k other Kildare fans who were there are NOT Dubs!

(Although some of the "Dubs" were on the train home with us)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep your right. That was my mistake and I wasn't trying to offend anyone by calling them a 'Dub' if they weren't. My point was (and the fact that there were 15k 'whiteys' there emphasizes this) is that there were potentially 40k+ Leinster supporters at this game. As has been established it didn't matter last year but should Kildare and Dublin get to the final again this year...........
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I hope there is plenty of cheap tickets available - Family of 4 at the league final last year was €71.00.

Just as well its the Saracens - Coppers will be jammers!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

€81 for family of 4 for Q/F is great value.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

the spoofer wrote:€81 for family of 4 for Q/F is great value.
Depends on the final score :wink:
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

I can't believe the amount of negativity there is about getting Saracens in the quarter final. To me this is the ideal time to get them at home. Their whole team is built around just four players; the 2 Vunipolas, Farrell & Itoje. Wiggleworth is a pretty good scrum half too but we have the back row to keep him quiet. The rest of their squad are very good players but no more. If Cullen and Lancaster cannot build a plan to stop these four then they are not the coaching team we all thought they were. Sarries two tight heads Koch and Figallo have been shown up at International level as not being anywhere near world class and Healy and McGrath can really go after them. Their defence has looked really porous in the last few months and with all our quality backs we will find holes there. I wouldn't always be in favour of using Rob Kearney at full back in recent times but this is one game where he should come into his own because Saracens use a kicking game a lot. Having Isa and Ferg on the wings for the same reason might be good too. Having Fardy and James Ryan starting in the row with Devin on the bench might be a better way to deal with their line out. If Ringrose is fit enough to start with Henshaw then our midfield will be way stronger than theirs and with Ross B, Larmour and Carberry on the bench to finish the job, I think we'll beat them well.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

rdsblue wrote:I can't believe the amount of negativity there is about getting Saracens in the quarter final. To me this is the ideal time to get them at home. Their whole team is built around just four players; the 2 Vunipolas, Farrell & Itoje. Wiggleworth is a pretty good scrum half too but we have the back row to keep him quiet. The rest of their squad are very good players but no more. If Cullen and Lancaster cannot build a plan to stop these four then they are not the coaching team we all thought they were. Sarries two tight heads Koch and Figallo have been shown up at International level as not being anywhere near world class and Healy and McGrath can really go after them. Their defence has looked really porous in the last few months and with all our quality backs we will find holes there. I wouldn't always be in favour of using Rob Kearney at full back in recent times but this is one game where he should come into his own because Saracens use a kicking game a lot. Having Isa and Ferg on the wings for the same reason might be good too. Having Fardy and James Ryan starting in the row with Devin on the bench might be a better way to deal with their line out. If Ringrose is fit enough to start with Henshaw then our midfield will be way stronger than theirs and with Ross B, Larmour and Carberry on the bench to finish the job, I think we'll beat them well.
Yep I agree with this.

Saracens bullied their way to wins last year with a very effective pack and frankly not much else. They rely on the same tactic this year but less effectively.

As we have seen against various opposition this year, we have a pack that just wont succumb to bish bosh basic rugby.

I can see them coming to the Aviva and realising that they wont make any headway against the likes of McGrath, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, Ryan, all of our backrow lads, and running out of ideas very quickly.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Form is temporary, class is permanent. They had a horrible couple of months but have turned the corner and I don't think there's a hope in hell that they won't turn up at the Aviva. I agree that they've a core group that elevates their performances (although would add 2 or 3 others to the names mentioned) but most of that team have won trophies and will be tipping away while we're missing most of our players to the 6N.

I think we'll win but there's no doubt that it's a tough game IMO. Agree that it's the best time to play them though, and not sure there's any easy game anyway. I suspect there may be more than one away winner this year.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

As regards the "pack that just wont succumb to bish bosh basic rugby" one of the most important ingredients is Scott Fardy. It's very noticeable, that any time there's a flare up or even the hint of the opposition giving any of our fellas grief he manages to insert himself in the middle of things and dampen the whole thing down with his presence. IMO, he is the enforcer we've been missing.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If you think Sarries only play 'bish bosh basic' rugby, then you might have another thing coming to you.

Also believing that the whole team is built around four players is like saying we're built around Sexton and Furlong

Just because they're our most important players doesn't mean there aren't other very dangerous guys there.
Goode, Maitland, George, Kruis, Skelton, Williams, Barritt are all experienced, top level players.

They may not be the side of last year, but they are still very dangerous.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I reckon it will sell out. Or be very close. Even with neglible away fans

Its such an easy one to market plus England being in Twickenham makes it slightly more novel. And as sole English representatives the UK media will be all over it. Media here too

My only fear is they try to gouge the heck out of the lrizes
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Maybe Dublin domination of Leinster football will or does help us; gives the rest of the province a more hopeful day out :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:Maybe Dublin domination of Leinster football will or does help us; gives the rest of the province a more hopeful day out :D
Dublin GAA is a huge problem for Leinster rugby but that's another topic.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:If you think Sarries only play 'bish bosh basic' rugby, then you might have another thing coming to you.

Also believing that the whole team is built around four players is like saying we're built around Sexton and Furlong

Just because they're our most important players doesn't mean there aren't other very dangerous guys there.
Goode, Maitland, George, Kruis, Skelton, Williams, Barritt are all experienced, top level players.

They may not be the side of last year, but they are still very dangerous.
Agree with most of that but think Skelton is a liability. He's a penalty machine, has poor hands, makes poor decisions...I'd be very happy to see his name on the team sheet.

I think the way that they patiently hold onto the ball until the opposition cracks, and with Wigglesworth's box kicking and Farrell and Goode's strong kicking games, that I'd almost rule out Lowe for this one already. I'm sure he'll adjust to how we defend and am very much of the opinion that what he offers in attack far outweighs the errors, but not for this game.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

simonokeeffe wrote:I say this out of genuine curiousity, but how much of a crossover is there between Dublin GAA and Leinster Rugby in terms of serious fans?

Obviously a very small sample size but the serious Dubs fans I know hardly ever go to rugby especially Leinster if at all and the serious rugby fans I know go to All Ireland games if at all. The ticketmaster fans would probably go Leinster over Dublin in April

Football league is a much more hardcore crowd than the Championship
From a scientific study of the three people who sit to my right in the grandstand- (all three are Leinster and Dublin season ticket holders) the issue, as I understand it and should there be a clash, is that the structure of the Dublin season ticket plan means you are rewarded for attendance in the latter stages of the championship (in terms of tickets) by attending all games (including league)- so they would certainly be affected.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

baaba maal wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I say this out of genuine curiousity, but how much of a crossover is there between Dublin GAA and Leinster Rugby in terms of serious fans?

Obviously a very small sample size but the serious Dubs fans I know hardly ever go to rugby especially Leinster if at all and the serious rugby fans I know go to All Ireland games if at all. The ticketmaster fans would probably go Leinster over Dublin in April

Football league is a much more hardcore crowd than the Championship
From a scientific study of the three people who sit to my right in the grandstand- (all three are Leinster and Dublin season ticket holders) the issue, as I understand it and should there be a clash, is that the structure of the Dublin season ticket plan means you are rewarded for attendance in the latter stages of the championship (in terms of tickets) by attending all games (including league)- so they would certainly be affected.
To get a ticket for the All-Ireland Final, Dublin season-ticket holders need to have attended a minimum of 60% of all of Dublin's league and championship matches that season. That's home and away.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish