Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by leinsterforever »

I've always been a fan of McFadden at inside centre. 10. Sexton, 12. McFadden, 13. Ringrose is the way I'd go if Nacewa isn't fit. Hopefully he will be fit though, cos McFadden's needed on the wing
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle put it best.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
So that leaves J10 at J12 if Isa has to be eliminated
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

TerenureJim wrote:What is the dislike for Noel Reid?
He's bang average. Nowhere near the level needed for a European q-f. He can do a job when required in the pro 14 against the lower sides but for the big games the guy isn't good enough. Good passer and nice skill set but shocking ball carrier, poor defensively mostly and while hes not slow, he doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders. Imo by the way!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

If isa isn't fit, we could be seeing Joey at 12 but it looks like they have decided to keep nacewa wrapped in cotton wool as it's a position we have no cover for if he picked up another injury.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Farrell and Kruis "touch and go" for the game, which sounds like just "go" to me. Billy "unlikely":
http://www.planetrugby.com/news/mark-mc ... -leinster/
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

He has been consistently inconsistent for about 6 years now.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Is it just me or has Reid suffered a number of concussions in the last 12 months?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know I keep saying it, but unless something has changed in the last week or so then Isa is fit. I get that people would worry that he could be rusty though.

That said, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ringrose as an alternative at 12. As good as he is at defending at 13, I'd have him at 12 if needs be.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I know I keep saying it, but unless something has changed in the last week or so then Isa is fit. I get that people would worry that he could be rusty though.

That said, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ringrose as an alternative at 12. As good as he is at defending at 13, I'd have him at 12 if needs be.
Cough :wink:
wixfjord wrote: If Isa is out it's Ringer to 12, ROL to 13 or more likely Reid to 12 and as you were elsewhere.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

A couple of side points for next weeks game:

1. This could be the battle of the 'under-cooked' (quite a number of our team will have played very little since before the six nations), versus the 'over-played' (a number of their players have been playing virtually every week since before the six nations). Which is the better position to be in?

2. If we're going the route of dropping Lowe and running with JGP and Fardy, might it be an idea to go 'all duck' and start JGP as he seems to be buzzing and bench lukey as he could be rusty?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I know I keep saying it, but unless something has changed in the last week or so then Isa is fit. I get that people would worry that he could be rusty though.

Cough :wink:
wixfjord wrote: If Isa is out it's Ringer to 12, ROL to 13 or more likely Reid to 12 and as you were elsewhere.
Apologies!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Leavy was sorely missed last night I think. We completely lacked any ruck threat and Tipuric took us apart.

Conan needs to up his performance levels too, but might be better with Jordi and Leavy beside him to do the work.

I do have faith in our coaching team to get the performance levels right for next weekend however.
A16
Learner

Leinster v Saracens

Post by A16 »

Nacewa will be fit. Now we can all stop using this as an opportunity to rip into Noel Reid.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yes but of nacewa picks up any kind of injury between now and end of season then Reid is the only option. And after this season, Leinster need to look at options as when henshaw is unavailable then relying on Reid isn't the way forward.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote:Not to distract from the conversation, but anyone with access to Chanel 5 (uk) can get a sneak preview of Sarries. They are playing Quins at the moment.
What we your assessment of Sarried based on what you saw of them?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Oldschool wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Not to distract from the conversation, but anyone with access to Chanel 5 (uk) can get a sneak preview of Sarries. They are playing Quins at the moment.
What we your assessment of Sarried based on what you saw of them?
I tried to watch the whole game on BT. It was so bad I flicked over a few times to Cardiff Ulster. The commentary team repeatedly spoke about how bad the game was - which is something else when it's your product essentially; and kept referring to how this was not how to sell the game to a new audience. The 55k in attendance were deathly quiet in the main. As for the play itself, and Sarries. Maitland, and Williams were good. Barritt was taken off injured. Bosch didn't do alot. They are not a team you want to go behind to I'd say; they are very well structured in defence although Quins were pretty poor esp in the first half. Up front Sarries were ok, Itoje waltzed through 4 non existant tackles from about 15 out for a try. It was very hard to stay awake watching it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

From what I saw, I think Bosch can really be gotten at. Quins struggled a bit up front to get go forward, but when they did, and managed to get outside Sarries' press defence, Marchant made some serious hay against Bosch.

Goode is important to them. He's very dangerous and acts as an extra playmaker in the same way Carbery does for us at 15.

They're well drilled up front as you'd expect with a good lineout. Itoje was excellent.

Backrow did ok. Burger isn't the player he was.

Our back three will be tested defensively, which I'd worry about, particularly if Byrne/Lowe plays.

But I'd expect us to have the carriers to rock them back and give us a bit of momentum, where Quins didn't.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

It was a boring game, and if I had to say, I’d say Sarries looked meh. Quins didn’t do much so it was hard to say they were tested but even with the limited opposition Sarries just sort of ground it out for phases then went wide. The rest of us turned over and went back to sleep. The wings looked sharp and Itoje was grand.....and that’s all I can remember. Oh, and Barrit had a good run.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Is it just me or has Reid suffered a number of concussions in the last 12 months?
cant/wont tackle. Pity as plenty of ability.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

bamboozle wrote:
cant/wont tackle. Pity as plenty of ability.

Mad how polarised a debate can become on a player. Reid isn’t great, but he also isn’t bad. To say that he ‘won’t tackle’ is just objectively untrue. Ask Josh Matavesi, Jean Kleyn, Nick Williams or Will Boyde.

He’s no Isa, and he’s probably injured, but jaysus you’d think he was stinking the place up in every game. People just get one thing in their heads and keep looking for info to reinforce that.