Where we are as supporters these days ?.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Where we are as supporters these days ?.

Post by footrush »

This is a genuine question for me , looking at the Scarlets forum they are focused and full of expectation.complete with banners, flares, meeting the team on arrival at the ground... , is it me or does there seem to be a air of reserve on our part for this one ?, will this change during the week as the game nears ?, or are we in a place where confidence has overcome hope ?, is this complacent or justified or somewhere in between ?. Any thoughts/feelings on this please I sure as hell don’t know ?. Maybe I’m just nostalgic for the old days when we used to have Bodhrans etc ......
Flying wedge
Raydollard
Graduate

Re: Where we are as supporters these days ?.

Post by Raydollard »

Either there are no really really true Leinster supporters left or they are numbed by the fact that we have lost all the crunch matches over the past six seasons. Fear stalks the land over what should be a dawdle.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

First off there are a handful of posters doing most of the posting on the Scarlets forum. There will be 51k fans in the AVIVA the amount that post on here or the scarlets fans page are the minority. Big away matches tend to get people to band together more then a home match.

Exciting times to be a scarlets fan for sure, hopefully they can turn their recent success into season ticket sales(it sounds like that is happening) much like what Glasgow have done and us before them. How many thousand season tickets do we sell again?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

OTT wrote:First off there are a handful of posters doing most of the posting on the Scarlets forum. There will be 51k fans in the AVIVA the amount that post on here or the scarlets fans page are the minority. Big away matches tend to get people to band together more then a home match.

Exciting times to be a scarlets fan for sure, hopefully they can turn their recent success into season ticket sales(it sounds like that is happening) much like what Glasgow have done and us before them. How many thousand season tickets do we sell again?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There's bound to be more excitement amongst a smaller, hardcore group of Scarlets fans for their first semi final trip away in Europe.

I think the Aviva will be very blue come Sat though.

Atmosphere for Sarries I thought was one of the best in ages, we need to take this to the next level though.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

wixfjord wrote:There's bound to be more excitement amongst a smaller, hardcore group of Scarlets fans for their first semi final trip away in Europe.

Atmosphere for Sarries I thought was one of the best in ages, we need to take this to the next level though.

This...it was a very pleasant surprise.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Thanks everyone these insights are really helpful for my midlife existential crisis !.
Flying wedge
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

nelly the elephant wrote:
wixfjord wrote:There's bound to be more excitement amongst a smaller, hardcore group of Scarlets fans for their first semi final trip away in Europe.

This always bugs me. Crowds react to the match.

Close scoring match = better tense atmosphere.

Easy match = less crowd noise as people are relaxed.

If we gallop into a 20 point lead against Scarlet's the atmosphere will be deemed poor. If we trade scores with each other and win by 3 points atmosphere will be electric.

Have you ever seen a Mexican wave in a 15- 13 match? What about a 45 - 3 game?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It's always the "suits" that ruin Mexican waves.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:It's always the "suits" that ruin Mexican waves.
Hurray for the suits so!
I have Bumbleflex
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Anyone that does a 'Mexican Wave' at a Rugby Match should have their arms amputated and receive a life ban. Mind you I do consider that some might find my views a bit too liberal and may want something harsher.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I going to start a Mexican wave in the pit tonight!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

IanD wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:

This always bugs me. Crowds react to the match.

Close scoring match = better tense atmosphere.

Easy match = less crowd noise as people are relaxed.

If we gallop into a 20 point lead against Scarlet's the atmosphere will be deemed poor. If we trade scores with each other and win by 3 points atmosphere will be electric.

Have you ever seen a Mexican wave in a 15- 13 match? What about a 45 - 3 game?
Hmm I'm not so sure there Ian. Obviously a closer big game will have more atmosphere than a whitewash, but we've had plenty of much closer games against Munster in the Aviva in recent years with nowhere near that level of atmosphere. Likewise for the Wasps game in the QF last year.

The atmosphere was just better against Sarries. Noisier than before.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:Anyone that does a 'Mexican Wave' at a Rugby Match should have their arms amputated and receive a life ban. Mind you I do consider that some might find my views a bit too liberal and may want something harsher.
Bloody lefty snowflake!

Instant execution is the only thing that will rid us of the plague that is the Mexican Wave!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

footrush wrote:Thanks everyone these insights are really helpful for my midlife existential crisis !.
I think you're just forgetting your first time.

Leinster supporters (generally) expect to be in semis and finals. The novelty has worn off for you guys I think.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

kermischocolate wrote:
footrush wrote:Thanks everyone these insights are really helpful for my midlife existential crisis !.
I think you're just forgetting your first time.

Leinster supporters (generally) expect to be in semis and finals. The novelty has worn off for you guys I think.
Could be, all these responses are really therapeutic for me ......
Flying wedge
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Often people engage in a wave because they're bored of the atmosphere around them. The wave is seen as exciting because in the vast majority of rugby games, people are seated. For the causal fan, that might not be too exciting. The biggest issue with atmosphere at Leinster games is it is very localised. If you're in the terrace, it can be great fun. But the entire stadium isn't working together to create noise like you see at football games. The song playlist isn't really exciting either. Leinsterrrr Leinsterrrrrr Leinsterrrr, come~~on~~you~~boys in blue and Allez les blues Allez les blues. Obviously I love going to watch Leinster play, and sadly I see them very infrequently now. But my memory of the stands is of (1) kids running up and down the temporary steps. This creates noise but it isn't atmosphere (2) men and women in Leinster apparel who often sit for 80 mins with their arms folded (3) people who like to "wave your flag" which brings a little colour, but again, it isn't really atmosphere. There'll then be spontaneous bursts of Leinsterrrr, Leinsterrrrr, Leinsterrrrrr when the team is defending close to their line or attacking the opposition line. The pumped in music after a score is so bland and generic as well. It lowers the atmosphere and brings Leinster games down to same level as most other sports. Ireland has a wonderful reputation for song, music and dance globally. As a result, imho, it is disappointing to think we lower to duh duh did did duy du did du dub or whatever that noise is after a kick at goal. The best thing about big Leinster and Ireland games is there's a beautiful sense of occasion. The buzz around Dublin 4 before the game. Opposition fans are in town and there's plenty of beers consumed. It's a good time, especially in a warmer weather. You can sense a really big game is on. Then the referee blows his whistle to start the game and people sit down and watch. That's fine. That's a Leinster game. But there will always be people who want an alternative form of entertainment in the stands. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

suisse wrote:Often people engage in a wave because they're bored of the atmosphere around them. The wave is seen as exciting because in the vast majority of rugby games, people are seated. For the causal fan, that might not be too exciting. The biggest issue with atmosphere at Leinster games is it is very localised. If you're in the terrace, it can be great fun. But the entire stadium isn't working together to create noise like you see at football games. The song playlist isn't really exciting either. Leinsterrrr Leinsterrrrrr Leinsterrrr, come~~on~~you~~boys in blue and Allez les blues Allez les blues. Obviously I love going to watch Leinster play, and sadly I see them very infrequently now. But my memory of the stands is of (1) kids running up and down the temporary steps. This creates noise but it isn't atmosphere (2) men and women in Leinster apparel who often sit for 80 mins with their arms folded (3) people who like to "wave your flag" which brings a little colour, but again, it isn't really atmosphere. There'll then be spontaneous bursts of Leinsterrrr, Leinsterrrrr, Leinsterrrrrr when the team is defending close to their line or attacking the opposition line. The pumped in music after a score is so bland and generic as well. It lowers the atmosphere and brings Leinster games down to same level as most other sports. Ireland has a wonderful reputation for song, music and dance globally. As a result, imho, it is disappointing to think we lower to duh duh did did duy du did du dub or whatever that noise is after a kick at goal. The best thing about big Leinster and Ireland games is there's a beautiful sense of occasion. The buzz around Dublin 4 before the game. Opposition fans are in town and there's plenty of beers consumed. It's a good time, especially in a warmer weather. You can sense a really big game is on. Then the referee blows his whistle to start the game and people sit down and watch. That's fine. That's a Leinster game. But there will always be people who want an alternative form of entertainment in the stands. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.
Really insightful....
Flying wedge
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Yeah 'c'mon you boys in blue' is for falsettos.
Unsingable, even Mary Hopkins found it hard abd she was Welsh.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:Yeah 'c'mon you boys in blue' is for falsettos.
Unsingable, even Mary Hopkins found it hard abd she was Welsh.
Yeah- those were the days... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"