Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

Post by hugonaut »

Thank f%~k we won that one! Well done to Isa for keeping his cool and kicking those goals at the death. Huge effort from everybody on the pitch, but really varying degrees of effectiveness. We didn't play to our capabilities, we weren't allowed play by Racing, and neither the weather nor the refereeing did us a favour.

It was an absolute pig of a game of rugby, but it was a final and the only important thing was to win. Well done the lads!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Just amazing
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

enby wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Nakarawa voted/ selected as EPRC player of the tournament. Not sure I agree with that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who gives a f*ck? We have the trophy and 4 stars, he doesn't
You’re right of course. Thanks for the lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

What a game.... stress city watching it unfold and a sinking feeling it was always going to the wire, Bilbao wet but amazing and a stunning stadium. The team was incredible, one of those days when it seemed everytime we started putting phases together something was in the way, a daft penalty, Racing killing the ball, pushing the offside line or a silly mistake but what character to see it across the line. James Ryan was immense, absolutely incredible performance and was probably the difference between the teams out there today. He was everywhere and involved in everything....missed Ferg I felt, it was a day for him and his belligerence. Mention for JGP too, excellent when he came on and proving his big game credentials, Luke was wrecked coming off, right call by Leocaster to go with JGP.

Ultimately though, it was in the last 15 mins or so I just felt we looked fitter and sharper and Racing tired badly so kudos to our S and C crew, the team is in astonishing shape and Lancaster talking about training at a level higher than the worst possible match situation in terms of exhaustion paid big time today.

Facing a hell of a roundabout trip home tomorrow to Dublin Airport but it will be a happy day with our fourth star shining bright....

We are lucky fans and what a truly staggering team......

Sweet four star dreams......
Andrew097
Bookworm

Post by Andrew097 »

That was beyond tense, Wayne's Final he really was in the weird camp today even the Telegraph called the non yellow for the deliberate knock on a mystery.
Isa stepping up after two out on the full to goal kick, its just the leadership he has shown in Leinster for his whole career. Thank you Isa it has been a pleasure to watch you over the years, oh thanks for the goodbye present.
Four Stars, five would be nice on the jersey too.

Well done Leinster gritty hard won victory against the best money can buy.
slit my wrists and its blue blood.
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Yes agree what composure and professionalism for Isa to slot those penalties especially after a couple of kicks up the line were off - one by a tiny margin
The man has been a fantastic servant to Leinster and I for one was delighted to see him lift the cup

What an intense final, the support did really work hard to lift Leinster over the second half and I was quite proud to see that too

Now if we could win next week - that would make it even more special
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Tobit
Beginner

Post by Tobit »

Blueberry wrote:What a game.... stress city watching it unfold and a sinking feeling it was always going to the wire, Bilbao wet but amazing and a stunning stadium. The team was incredible, one of those days when it seemed everytime we started putting phases together something was in the way, a daft penalty, Racing killing the ball, pushing the offside line or a silly mistake but what character to see it across the line. James Ryan was immense, absolutely incredible performance and was probably the difference between the teams out there today. He was everywhere and involved in everything....missed Ferg I felt, it was a day for him and his belligerence. Mention for JGP too, excellent when he came on and proving his big game credentials, Luke was wrecked coming off, right call by Leocaster to go with JGP.

Ultimately though, it was in the last 15 mins or so I just felt we looked fitter and sharper and Racing tired badly so kudos to our S and C crew, the team is in astonishing shape and Lancaster talking about training at a level higher than the worst possible match situation in terms of exhaustion paid big time today.

Facing a hell of a roundabout trip home tomorrow to Dublin Airport but it will be a happy day with our fourth star shining bright....

We are lucky fans and what a truly staggering team......

Sweet four star dreams......
Hypothetical I know, but I wonder had it gone to extra time would Racing have kept up.
They may have been glad to see the last kick missed.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

blockhead wrote:The game in french
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOFvJm1j5k
Thanks! I went straight to the end. "C'est manque, c'est manque!" (It's missed, it's missed).
I think they might be the same commentators for Sexton's drop against France in the 6N, poor fellas.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

5 European trophies = Most successful club in European history
European Rugby being dominated by 3 clubs, Leinster, Saracens and Toulon. Winners of 9 of the last 10 tournaments, Toulouse being the other winner 9 years ago.
7 Titles for Ireland, only 1 behind England and France
First Pro14 double
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

FourMasters wrote:
blockhead wrote:The game in french
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOFvJm1j5k
Thanks! I went straight to the end. "C'est manque, c'est manque!" (It's missed, it's missed).
I think they might be the same commentators for Sexton's drop against France in the 6N, poor fellas.
Yep. That's what I thought, they sound exactly the same. :lol:
Full game in English on youtube now btw.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Watching TG4 highlights last night, Barnes really did have a shocker. It was more what he didn't do. Tacklers not rolling away (especially by R92), lazy runners, side entry (both teams) and off the feet were just ignored by him. He needed his linesmen to tell him about the many neck rolls and less frequent offsides he pulled up. There was a definite knock on by us in that crucial turnover under our own posts and both sides got away with at least 2 forward passes. The penalty call at the lineout which gave them their first 3 points was a joke but was not as ridiculous as his failure to card Nakarawa for the deliberate knock on. It could be argued that whomever he penalised (Porter? Fardy?) for bringing down their maul before their final penalty goal dodged a card because of the leniency shown to Nakarawa.

Barnes has been much improved recently but yesterday was not one of his best performances although the ultimate result was probably not affected
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Watched on a big screen, the TV angle was not at all clear whether the drop was going wide, and the Sky commentators can't have had a great angle cos they weren't calling it as it traveled. I and those around me first realized it was going wide by all the blue flags waving behind the posts. Thank you to those attending, it was a great moment. And then I felt very sorry for the distraught young man who missed, sport can be cruel. Then I saw Leo shed a tear, and was happy once more :D
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Also worth pointing out Leinster's European record in the last 10 seasons:

4 Heineken/ Champions' Cups
1 Challenge Cup
3 Semi-Finals
1 Quarter Final
1 Group Exit

Pretty extraordinary considering that time also encompasses our 'slump'.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

enby wrote:Watching TG4 highlights last night, Barnes really did have a shocker. It was more what he didn't do. Tacklers not rolling away (especially by R92), lazy runners, side entry (both teams) and off the feet were just ignored by him. He needed his linesmen to tell him about the many neck rolls and less frequent offsides he pulled up. There was a definite knock on by us in that crucial turnover under our own posts and both sides got away with at least 2 forward passes. The penalty call at the lineout which gave them their first 3 points was a joke but was not as ridiculous as his failure to card Nakarawa for the deliberate knock on. It could be argued that whomever he penalised (Porter? Fardy?) for bringing down their maul before their final penalty goal dodged a card because of the leniency shown to Nakarawa.

Barnes has been much improved recently but yesterday was not one of his best performances although the ultimate result was probably not affected
I think the bad calls evened out, but at the most generous we could say that Racing deserved to be level on 80 min. I genuinenly think they'd emptied the tank in their magnifecent defence, and we'd have won extra time. It's why I was happy in the last minute when they were going for the drop instead of a try as I figured we'd win overall.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Thought JGP had a very good cameo when he came on. Made one poor decision to kick, but other than that he was good, and led us home from a 9-9 scoreline with 65 odd mins gone.

Re-watching the game this morning, we were very mixed. Barnes let them take the piss at breakdown and ruined any flow in the game with pernickity penalties, but our passing wasn't as crisp as usual and our forwards weren't getting over the gainline as frequently as Scarlets.

Some poor and strange errors too, the Isa kicks and Johnny's decision to take the quick tap for eg, along with some foolish pens by Fardy and Porter.

But who cares. We had to win it the hard way and we did!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Great win and tension was almost unbearable. Long as it was a 3 point difference we were always in it though Racing did not have the wherewithal to win it.

Referee was not great but if all fouls were called there’d be no match. Still foul play seems to favour the transgressors if frees are not called. The no yellow card incident should not go unnoticed by the authorities and Barnes should pay some price.

I note that teams are never pulled up for being ahead of the kicker at kick-offs.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

One of the worst games I've ever watched :lol:

The conditions were awful, Barnes really contributed to it by letting Racing kill the ball, and yet...that didn't bother James Ryan. Thought he was incredible yesterday, his performance didn't drop like everyone else, he grew and dominated the game IMO. To do that at 21, in his first Champions Cup final, and when experienced players are making errors just shouldn't be possible, but he makes it look so easy.

Barnes and JP Doyle played a big role in killing the flow of the game. The obvious one was when we had a scrum and the ball got to the back of the scrum and Barnes told Luke to use it. It collapsed just after that but we went to play the ball, JP then said that Racing had taken it down but instead of either playing on or giving us a penalty Barnes just played the scrum again. With the game going the way it did I'd say that was the last thing he should have done.

Anyway...champions! Great effort from everyone and a poor final shouldn't take anything away from how good we were before yesterday. Delighted for so many of those involved, but particularly the coaches. Leo, Girv, and Fogarty all got some criticism over the last few years, and obviously Lancaster had his troubles before joining us. It must feel so sweet for them and they deserve it. I'm surprised Girv hasn't been linked with other jobs...if I was involved with Connacht or Ulster I'd be picking up the phone.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Rewatching it, Ryan was even better than at first viewing and Leavy must have pushed him really close for MOTM, a couple of silly penalties probably disqualified him.

Iribaren kicked incredibly well but I wasn't that impressed with the rest of his game despite the trouser-wetting he was causing the Sky commentators and his influence ultimately waned. I'm still mystified by JS's decision to take the quick tap pen 10 metres from their line - although I think 'mystified' wasn't the word I used at the time.

Delighted for Isa, you knew he was never going to miss those pens at the end...and a special mention for Donnacha Ryan who gave away a couple of crucial penalties and managed to force his elbow into Dev's face on the floor late on. Cheerio!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan