Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by leinsterforever »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
ronk wrote:You'd give him to Kidney to develop?

Connacht like to play exciting attackers. Just saying
As bad as the end of Kidney's stint with Ireland was, I've no issue with him, and like I said he needs games.

Given that I think game time is the issue, why send him to another province where he wouldn't be first choice? I reckon LI could do with him to replace the attacking spark that Lewington gave them, not that I'd expect Kelly to be as good. I just think another year of not getting games here would be a big mistake and that everyone would benefit from a loan.
Unless he's passed out by Silvester there should be some gametime available for him at fullback in the U23 league
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

Are we expecting any breakthrough players next season?

Larmour and Ryan this season, Carbery the year before, Ringrose the year before that... test quality world class players off the conveyor belt and ready to go. Dare we dream it will happen again?
leinsterforever
Mullet

MelbourneRebel wrote:Are we expecting any breakthrough players next season?

Larmour and Ryan this season, Carbery the year before, Ringrose the year before that... test quality world class players off the conveyor belt and ready to go. Dare we dream it will happen again?
If it's going to happen, I'd say Kelleher, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, Doris, Frawley and Jimmy O'Brien are the ones to watch out for. I might be being a bit optimistic including a few of those names, but you can never predict when things are going to really take off for someone. Josh Murphy is a player I'm really looking forward to seeing, but I guess Deegan and Doris would be the ones most likely. Thre's real pedigree there
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:I'd say Kelleher, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, Doris, Frawley and Jimmy O'Brien are the ones to watch out for. I might be being a bit optimistic including a few of those names, but you can never predict when things are going to really take off for someone. Josh Murphy is a player I'm really looking forward to seeing, but I guess Deegan and Doris would be the ones most likely. Thre's real pedigree there
100% agree on Doris, a massive talent. I feel Deegan has already broken through – I thought he had a really impressive season last year.

Frawley will get a lot of gametime and push himself on to a development/senior contract by Christmas. Carberry's move sets the scene for him, he just has to take the stage. To prolong the analogy, he should have a great cast around him with Luke McGrath, Tomane, McFadden and Lowe in the backs: experience, leadership, athleticism, physicality, talent ... he's not going to have to carry a huge load with all those players to rely on. Just kick the goals and give the ball to Lowe or Tomane.

To be frank, we don't need to push more players through to Ireland this year. It's a year to the World Cup, there's a group of around 40 players [the Australian touring squad plus the likes of Kilcoyne, Best, Dillane, Ruddock, van der Flier, Sean O'Brien, Luke McGrath, Chris Farrell, maybe Bleyendaal if he has a good season] that Joe is going to choose his test sides from.

There are only two uncapped Leinster player who I think have a chance of making the RWC squad: Ross Byrne, who has a pretty good chance, and Max Deegan, who has an outside chance.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I agree with @hugonaut, there is a real opportunity for Max Deegan. CJ Stander had a big impact at international level in his first season. He carried the ball abrasively and made huge metre gains and beat players. Following Jamie's unfortunate injury and then retirement, CJ's carries continued at the superb high level of his debut year but his metres gained and players beaten fell like a stone.

IMO, we have not had a line-breaking, lineout jumping, offloading No 8 since Jamie's injury / retirement which was now almost two seasons ago. Jack Conan has looked the part often in Pro14 games, but not so regularly in European games and even more rarely at international level. I am still hopeful that experience and continued physical development might bring him to the point of having the same impact on the international stage that he has demonstrated at Pro14 level.

However, If Max Deegan's physique has continued to develop and he can maintain his progression in skills and on-field application, there is just an outside chance that he could skip the queue and push himself into Joe's training squad for the 6N. It's a big ask, but remember this is a former U.20 World Player of the Year (ahead of such as James Ryan) and he already has a very high skills and ability ceiling.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Deegan should also have the advantage of playing a lot at 8 at the start of the season and if one of the Irish players picks up an injury (JOD already out and he had been called up during the 6N) then the path really opens up for him.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Conan was excellent in the 3rd Test vs Oz. The tour should give him a decent boost of self-confidence!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

riocard911 wrote:Conan was excellent in the 3rd Test vs Oz. The tour should give him a decent boost of self-confidence!!!
He imposed himself at international level in the way we've seen him do for Leinster for 2-3 years. Could be one of world rugby's great ball carriers.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I think Josh Murphy is one to watch. His abrasiveness has been noted by several players and he strikes me as Fergesque in attitude & hunger for work.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote:Conan was excellent in the 3rd Test vs Oz. The tour should give him a decent boost of self-confidence!!!
In my view, only defensively - where he was perceived to have been criticised by JS. If he can add his normal offensive game to that, and he was facing a top-class international back-row, he'll be close to the standard required. In particular, he has the acceleration off the back of the scrum to totally confound defenders.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
In my view, only defensively - where he was perceived to have been criticised by JS. If he can add his normal offensive game to that, and he was facing a top-class international back-row, he'll be close to the standard required. In particular, he has the acceleration off the back of the scrum to totally confound defenders.
I haven't watched the game back yet due to our glorious weather but my initial view of the game was that he was "ok". I really believe that Deegan will prove to be the better player. He is 21, has 21 caps and played 806 minutes last season. That is impressive. Yes' there are probably more opportunities than when Conan was breaking through but my view is that Deegan will be an excellent player for Leinster and Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Deegan is a different player. He's more about accuracy and quick feet. Kinda like Ryan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:In my view, only defensively - where he was perceived to have been criticised by JS. If he can add his normal offensive game to that, and he was facing a top-class international back-row, he'll be close to the standard required. In particular, he has the acceleration off the back of the scrum to totally confound defenders.
Agree with that. Having watched it back and kept an eye out for him, he seemed to struggle to get on the ball and din't appear in shot a whole lot(at first glance it's hard to tell the difference between him and Scannell). Didn't touch it until about 15mins in IIRC. Some of that was tactical IMO, he seemed to be positioned further out from the ruck. Now it could just of been him struggling to track the play but 2 examples of what I mean
1)Stockdale made a break down the left wing early in the first half and the first forward up in support was Conan(it was called back for a peno after a knockon by Ryan). He seemed to over run any pass from Murray.
2)Sexton cross field kicked to Earls on the right wing and Conan was again the first forward up in support (peno for illegal clearout by POM).

Didn't reall have the ball in the 2nd half.

He did some latching and clearouts but not much else in attack. Opportunity missed for him with others coming back.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I'm clearly wired differently but I never understand Leinster fans on a Leinster forum, discussing our squad for next season, willing even more of our players into Ireland camp. Two no 8s.
I really like Deegan's style; very different player to Conan. He has huge potential if things go right. It would be nice if we could benefit from that a bit before Schmidt corals him and/or sends him to Munster.
Let them flog the Munster backrow. Stander and POM were good value for money in terms of effort and abrasion, even if they made about 10 metres between them all season for Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster have a centrally contracted 8 with JOD behind him and Beirne likely to play there a bit. They will target other positions well before they take an 8 from us.

With Heaslip gone Deegan will have no concerns about gametime. Also Munster have long standing preferences for 8s from a different mold.

Foley, Caughlan, Stander, Leamy were more hard work and aggression than raw talent and athleticism and were heroes. Copeland to some extent and Nick Williams in a big way were different players and never fit in fully.

That would be all wrong for Max. He’s rangy and athletic with footwork into contact, a preference for chop tackles and a serious off-loading/passing game.
leinsterforever
Mullet

ronk wrote:Munster have a centrally contracted 8 with JOD behind him and Beirne likely to play there a bit. They will target other positions well before they take an 8 from us.

With Heaslip gone Deegan will have no concerns about gametime. Also Munster have long standing preferences for 8s from a different mold.

Foley, Caughlan, Stander, Leamy were more hard work and aggression than raw talent and athleticism and were heroes. Copeland to some extent and Nick Williams in a big way were different players and never fit in fully.

That would be all wrong for Max. He’s rangy and athletic with footwork into contact, a preference for chop tackles and a serious off-loading/passing game.
Coughlan was a pretty good footballer tbf
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

leinsterforever wrote:
ronk wrote:Munster have a centrally contracted 8 with JOD behind him and Beirne likely to play there a bit. They will target other positions well before they take an 8 from us.

Coughlan was a pretty good footballer tbf
And Nick Williams was obese at that stage
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Like to see if Frawley can make it at OH. He has the qualities needed to do well
Spellster
Beginner

Post by Spellster »

A player I'm excited to see next season that hasn't been mentioned is Gavin Mullin, I saw him play Vs Bristol in the B&I cup last season and was very impressed.

We have 2 good options at 13 as it is, but 1 could be with Ireland and 1 could be injured and he could get some minutes.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Spellster wrote:A player I'm excited to see next season that hasn't been mentioned is Gavin Mullin, I saw him play Vs Bristol in the B&I cup last season and was very impressed.

We have 2 good options at 13 as it is, but 1 could be with Ireland and 1 could be injured and he could get some minutes.
Given his legend father, I think most people are trying not to overhype him. He'll get chances, but once he breaks though he'll be in powerful spotlights