Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Presentation Ceremony and Dinner in Monaco on Sunday night AFAIK. Decision should hit Twitter about 9.15 p.m. Sunday evening.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

R-Dog wrote:Any Stats nerds out there have a break down of his year?
I don't have details for calendar year which I think is how World Rugby judge it but here are his stats for last season and this season so far

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Pity he lost his voice though :D
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

King Johnny :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

World Player Of The Year.

Brilliant.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

If Richie McCaw won it I would have set myself on fire outside World Rugby House. Well done and congratulations to Jonathan and family.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:World Player Of The Year.

Brilliant.
+1, +1.

Delighted for Johnny, his team-mates and his Coach.

However, now begins the pressure that we have never legitimately faced before, that of being the most targeted team in the world. England arrive in just over two months time and each of our 6N competitors will target us as the team to beat and to re-direct their own RWC19 ambitions.

Joe and Johnny will face specific pressure, including media coverage and extraordinary adulation at home. They will need all the Group to stand up and share the heat. They can all do it together by taking on the challenge and winning the 6N. Ireland has the depth and we have the experience and confidence to deliver it.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Bring it on! I think we are beyond the neurotic fear of favoritism that we held for so long. I certainly don't think we fear the English or French; respect is still there, of course. But that irrational fear i hopefully gone.

Johnny is one of the reasons for that change. Well deserved.

Now that it's over- how did Marx get on the list- and Furlong or Ryan not make it?

For that matter how was Ryan not on the 'Young Player' list? I'd say deserved even above Jordan and the winner.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

artaneboy wrote:Bring it on! I think we are beyond the neurotic fear of favoritism that we held for so long. I certainly don't think we fear the English or French; respect is still there, of course. But that irrational fear i hopefully gone.

Now that it's over- how did Marx get on the list- and Furlong or Ryan not make it?

For that matter how was Ryan not on the 'Young Player' list? I'd say deserved even above Jordan and the winner.
Ryan wasn't eligible sadly due to him making his debut against the USA on the Summer Tour in 2017. Apparently you have to have made your debut in the last year to be eligible. Pity because he'd have won by a mile. Decent chance of him winning the main one though soon enough you'd imagine so not the end of the world.

I'm delighted for Sexton, a well deserved moment for him and it's great to see the team coach and team prizes going to Ireland as well.

The list of nominees isn't brilliant, Furlong was easily more deserving than Marx who couldn't throw for his life at times, and I'd have had Murray in ahead of Far de Klerk as well. There were definitely other All Blacks who were better that Barrett as well and it's hard to imagine what Ryan and Ringrose could have done better (Maybe play more in Garry's case but you could hardly fault the performances when he was on the pitch.)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote:Bring it on! I think we are beyond the neurotic fear of favoritism that we held for so long. I certainly don't think we fear the English or French; respect is still there, of course. But that irrational fear i hopefully gone.

Agreed. Irish Players these day, especially Leinster players, are used to being favourites going into any game. Indeed, I would say that the only time most of these players went into a game as underdogs was the recent All Blacks game. They expect to win and nearly always do.
The media haven't copped on to this seemingly, or more probably, they don't want to acknoweldge it.
Nothing to fear but fear itself.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:World Player Of The Year.

Brilliant.
+1, +1.

Delighted for Johnny, his team-mates and his Coach.

However, now begins the pressure that we have never legitimately faced before, that of being the most targeted team in the world. England arrive in just over two months time and each of our 6N competitors will target us as the team to beat and to re-direct their own RWC19 ambitions.

Joe and Johnny will face specific pressure, including media coverage and extraordinary adulation at home. They will need all the Group to stand up and share the heat. They can all do it together by taking on the challenge and winning the 6N. Ireland has the depth and we have the experience and confidence to deliver it.
Joe Schmidt has always embraced being favourites: it's better to be favourites than odds off to win. So has Johnno.

Well done to Sexton, Schmidt, and see you up for the big one in a few years if you keep working Jordan.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't usually care about awards like this but I'm delighted for him.

It feels a bit surreal...I can remember hearing about him before I'd even seen him play senior cup rugby and I see him around quite a bit with the cap pulled down over his face which doesn't really work considering he's such a huge man :lol:

That guy is the world player of the year, weird! I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very very lucky to be Leinster and Ireland fans!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

central deal until 2021 announced.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Sexton named Player of the Year by English Rugby Union Writers. Short list included Furlong, Lancester, Kolisi & Schmidt.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ugby-union
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Sexton named Player of the Year by English Rugby Union Writers. Short list included Furlong, Lancester, Kolisi & Schmidt.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ugby-union
Amazing, with the whole of world rugby to pick from that Kolisi is the only person picked outside of the IRFU system.
Well done Johnny!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

You mean of course Personality of the Year - not player - was wondering how Lancaster and Schmidt made it onto a players' shortlist.
Four Stars
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sexton turns 34 today.

4 Heineken Cups
4 Pro Titles
160 Leinster Appearances, 1146 points.

3 6 Nations Titles
1 Grand Slam
83 Ireland Caps, 761 points.

2 Lions Tours(1W1D, 6 caps)
World Rugby Player of the Year 2018
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Johnny Sexton has been nominated for the World Rugby Men's 15s Player of the Decade award.

Other nominee's:

Dan Carter
Pieter-Steph du Toit
Thierry Dusautoir
Brodie Retallick
Richie McCaw
Kieran Reed
Beauden Barrett