Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by wixfjord »

Am assuming we'll see some sort of contract announcement this week or next? Last year it was 21st May.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Who knows? Given the covid situation.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

If Munster and Connacht can announce signings, no reason why we can’t. It’s disgusting having to wait to see just how much we’re gonna have to loose to prop up our supposed rivals
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jonny tight lips wrote:If Munster and Connacht can announce signings, no reason why we can’t. It’s disgusting having to wait to see just how much we’re gonna have to loose to prop up our supposed rivals
we aren't signing anyone, leo's already said that in the press.

only a matter of confirming who gets promoted from academy and who is leaving senior squad.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

I know that but if the other provinces are announcing new contracts maybe we could for the players are keeping. I see Blyendal is retiring so I suppose that’s our problem to fill that vacancy for them.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:I know that but if the other provinces are announcing new contracts maybe we could for the players are keeping. I see Blyendal is retiring so I suppose that’s our problem to fill that vacancy for them.
Stop, Jaysus! Don't even go there!!!!!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

riocard911 wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:I know that but if the other provinces are announcing new contracts maybe we could for the players are keeping. I see Blyendal is retiring so I suppose that’s our problem to fill that vacancy for them.
If we have to send a 10 down to that kip to cover them yet again I’m officially giving up on the IRFU and the Irish team.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
If we have to send a 10 down to that kip to cover them yet again I’m officially giving up on the IRFU and the Irish team.
I don't see it, but I've been wrong before. The way I see it is that it opens the door for Crowley, who is exceptionally talented. Munster have successfully put a dent in the careers of two other outhalves who were quality U20 internationals [JJ Hanrahan and Bill Johnston], but they've got Larkham in the coaching staff now, who should be a great mentor for outhalves.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

hugonaut wrote:I don't see it, but I've been wrong before. The way I see it is that it opens the door for Crowley, who is exceptionally talented. Munster have successfully put a dent in the careers of two other outhalves who were quality U20 internationals [JJ Hanrahan and Bill Johnston], but they've got Larkham in the coaching staff now, who should be a great mentor for outhalves.
A world cup winning coach failed to polish the turd known as Munster. Larkham has no chance of developing their talent.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Interesting quote tweeted by Leinster rugby today as it's the Anniversary of the 2012 HC.

Subliminal message? :D

"There is something special about playing for the team you grew up supporting.
That is the team you want to represent more than anything.
Success with this team means the world to me."

- Leo Cullen following the 2012 Heineken Cup Final
8 years today eh. My Gawd!

You'd wonder if a new quota rule might come into Ulster and Munster soon.
Must have at least X number of home grown players in the match day squad. The value of X could cause serious problems.
There is 1 Limerick lad in the Munster academy.
A quota would be controversial and counterproductive. Fans would think that quota players weren't there on merit.

Munster are producing more players than they can break into the team.and they develop talent when they are motivated too.

If the revolving door stopped and they weren't able to hoard players then we'd see a lot of improvement. Their squad makeup means that repeating the same problems are unavoidable.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

FLIP wrote:
hugonaut wrote:I don't see it, but I've been wrong before. The way I see it is that it opens the door for Crowley, who is exceptionally talented. Munster have successfully put a dent in the careers of two other outhalves who were quality U20 internationals [JJ Hanrahan and Bill Johnston], but they've got Larkham in the coaching staff now, who should be a great mentor for outhalves.
A world cup winning coach failed to polish the turd known as Munster. Larkham has no chance of developing their talent.
Erasmus did really well with Munster - finished top of the league in the regular season, made it to the final of the Pro14, got a home quarter and a home semi in the European Cup. On those grounds, it was their best season since 2010-11, when they won the Celtic League. Given that they were knocked out at the group stages in the European Cup and lost to London Irish at home in the semi of the Amlin Cup [and had a seasonal record of P33 W26 L7 D0] and Erasmus' team in 2016-17 had a record of P33* W27 L6 D0, there's an argument that Erasmus did a better job, because he won more matches and got further in the European cuo. They haven't done better since, so it was their best season in a decade.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

hugonaut wrote:Erasmus did really well with Munster - finished top of the league in the regular season, made it to the final of the Pro14, got a home quarter and a home semi in the European Cup. On those grounds, it was their best season since 2010-11, when they won the Celtic League. Given that they were knocked out at the group stages in the European Cup and lost to London Irish at home in the semi of the Amlin Cup [and had a seasonal record of P33 W26 L7 D0] and Erasmus' team in 2016-17 had a record of P33* W27 L6 D0, there's an argument that Erasmus did a better job, because he won more matches and got further in the European cuo. They haven't done better since, so it was their best season in a decade.
They didn't win any silverware in that best season, and they didn't develop players anywhere near how they needed to. All Rassie managed to do was roll the turd in glitter. No Leinster developed Munster player is better off now than when they left.
Anyone But New Zealand
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

FLIP wrote:They didn't win any silverware in that best season, and they didn't develop players anywhere near how they needed to. All Rassie managed to do was roll the turd in glitter. No Leinster developed Munster player is better off now than when they left.
Conway?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Avenger wrote:
FLIP wrote:They didn't win any silverware in that best season, and they didn't develop players anywhere near how they needed to. All Rassie managed to do was roll the turd in glitter. No Leinster developed Munster player is better off now than when they left.
Conway?
In my view he would have been capped sooner and been more developed had he stayed.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote:Am assuming we'll see some sort of contract announcement this week or next? Last year it was 21st May.
I'd imagine that Leinster have to wait until the other 3 have filled their boots before announcing their own contracts.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

More discussion on the movement of Players to other provenances. The idea of players leaving with the playbook in their back pocket is an interesting one and not one that is discussed much I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zjtipIOQ0
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote:More discussion on the movement of Players to other provenances. The idea of players leaving with the playbook in their back pocket is an interesting one and not one that is discussed much I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zjtipIOQ0
Might be ok with Salanoa though.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Another wrinkle here is we seem to get no leaks from Nuicfora's camp on his designs. Irish rugby is a leaky bucket with whatsapps, texts, team selections flinging every which way to players, members of the public, and journalists. But we hear nothing from Nucifora, from example are his offices based on Lansdowne road, does he have a big team, does he issue directives directly to Leo, Stuart, Van Grann, McFarland and Friend only, and if so why do they acquiesce so easily? We are in danger of putting Nucifora on a pedestal as this "dark lord" who has pushed Irish rugby to new heights but I'm not inclined to believe that, its as much our development and coaching structures, and raw talent thats won us our success as much as Nuciforas meddling. Obviously im not saying Nucifora out but it would do no harm to soften his cough, or do the O'Connor and Keane experiences have everyone shaken to their core?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Up Wexford wrote:Another wrinkle here is we seem to get no leaks from Nuicfora's camp on his designs. Irish rugby is a leaky bucket with whatsapps, texts, team selections flinging every which way to players, members of the public, and journalists. But we hear nothing from Nucifora, from example are his offices based on Lansdowne road, does he have a big team, does he issue directives directly to Leo, Stuart, Van Grann, McFarland and Friend only, and if so why do they acquiesce so easily? We are in danger of putting Nucifora on a pedestal as this "dark lord" who has pushed Irish rugby to new heights but I'm not inclined to believe that, its as much our development and coaching structures, and raw talent thats won us our success as much as Nuciforas meddling. Obviously im not saying Nucifora out but it would do no harm to soften his cough, or do the O'Connor and Keane experiences have everyone shaken to their core?
I would imagine the IRFU are happy he's a shadowy figure there to take flack and attention for less palatable rugby-related strategic decisions.

Like leading the cut at Schmidt once he'd left and preparing the ground (pun semi intentional) for the fresh whiff of Faz.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sexton again in media saying he doesn't intend on retiring anytime soon, does he finish his career at leinster? Or is there an inevitable falling out going to happen with Sexton and the IRFU?