Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Just a thought but hypothetically speaking if we came up with a wedge of money tomorrow what position might the IRFU permit us to fill with a NIQ that wouldn't block a pathway? I mean we all have our own ideas where we're a little light but I'm struggling to think of a position they would be happy for us to fill with a NIQ. Maybe another jack-of-most-trades in the backs like Joe T?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
ronk wrote:Injuries have slowed a few of them down quite a bit.

At international depth level there are a fair few older players so some of these guys could have a fair few international caps if they late bolt.

Lowry and Lyttle are small and seem to be managing ok, but obviously it doesn’t show whether they will step to international.
Thats generous on Lowry/Lyttle. Neither have stayed healthy, due to size? and they haven't done much beyond pro 14 level.

Not sure if injuries have really prevented anyone from really pushing on, rather inconsistency, holes in their skillset and not being outstanding athletes.
ROL played a lot then got injured in the first HC game and was gone until now.

Here’s a guy who has been getting a lot of minutes over the previous 3 seasons and was really looking to push on. I thought he would have liked his chances of making the 6N wider squad and looking to get closer to the match day squad in case of injuries.

Barry Daly was looking good a while back. Got injured 9 minutes into his first game in August 2018 and is out until Jan so he sits out HC and 6N. He was injured for his most important phase of the season but still gets 8 more games in. He missed all this season.

If you haven’t broken through to HC first choice or international (And even if you have) then timing of injuries can have a much wider effect due to the fragmentation of the calendar.

Dave Kearney stayed fit long enough to get fully up to form and he’s a different player again enjoying a solid status within the team. There are some decent players who would be in a similar boat but haven’t proven themselves at international level yet.
Are you worried about our outside back production or not? :lol:

Daly and ROL are very good squad players when healthy, but look unlikely to ever be 1st choice when everyone is healthy.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote:Just a thought but hypothetically speaking if we came up with a wedge of money tomorrow what position might the IRFU permit us to fill with a NIQ that wouldn't block a pathway? I mean we all have our own ideas where we're a little light but I'm struggling to think of a position they would be happy for us to fill with a NIQ. Maybe another jack-of-most-trades in the backs like Joe T?
Any signing would block a pathway.. but a back capable of playing multiple positions who is a superior athlete.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Just a thought but hypothetically speaking if we came up with a wedge of money tomorrow what position might the IRFU permit us to fill with a NIQ that wouldn't block a pathway? I mean we all have our own ideas where we're a little light but I'm struggling to think of a position they would be happy for us to fill with a NIQ. Maybe another jack-of-most-trades in the backs like Joe T?
Back three international quality player with some experience, who can play centre. Given we have lost three such players and Rob Kearney since winning the Heineken Cup.
A Jared Payne or Isa type player.

Argument to made for a scrum half, hooker or loose head prop too.
meathman3
Bookworm

Post by meathman3 »

Our positions of crisis are scrum half flyhalf and FB - we have no replacements of quality for either Sexton or Kearney.
Ross Byrne has proven he can deliver in big matches but he is not being given enough chances and is not backed internationally at all. If people don't believe he can be an international isn't it time to accelerate Harry Byrne to the starting role. Hard in Ross but Sexton needs replacing.

Larmour by contrast has been handed every possible start at FB for nigh on 3 yes now and while he has "improved" he is still getting caught out in defence. So keep Kearney to teach Keenan and acclerate him to be the replacement FB with Larmour back to the wing.

Scrum half is where I would be signing a NIQ to back up McGrath so either keep Gibson-Park or sign a quality NIQ.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:

Daly and ROL are very good squad players when healthy, but look unlikely to ever be 1st choice when everyone is healthy.
2 of our starting outside 5 are signings: Henshaw and Lowe. 2 are young internationals who will be looking to go to the Lions. All 4 will be looking to make the 6 N squad. Someone will have to take that right wing slot, even if DaveK holds it short term and we will need a utility back.

Ferg got 34 caps for Ireland, ROL has the potential to do that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Any signing would block a pathway.. but a back capable of playing multiple positions who is a superior athlete.
I’d save the cash for a rainy day, but a utility back is a good answer too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
I’d save the cash for a rainy day, but a utility back is a good answer too.
No signing is happening of course but in the hypothetical that's what I'd go for.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

How long can Lowe spend outside Ireland without affecting the qualification requirement of "36 consecutive months residency"?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

2 of our starting outside 5 are signings: Henshaw and Lowe. 2 are young internationals who will be looking to go to the Lions. All 4 will be looking to make the 6 N squad. Someone will have to take that right wing slot, even if DaveK holds it short term and we will need a utility back.

Ferg got 34 caps for Ireland, ROL has the potential to do that.
ROL will be doing very well to get 10+ caps.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

meathman3 wrote:Our positions of crisis are scrum half flyhalf and FB - we have no replacements of quality for either Sexton or Kearney.
Ross Byrne has proven he can deliver in big matches but he is not being given enough chances and is not backed internationally at all. If people don't believe he can be an international isn't it time to accelerate Harry Byrne to the starting role. Hard in Ross but Sexton needs replacing.

Larmour by contrast has been handed every possible start at FB for nigh on 3 yes now and while he has "improved" he is still getting caught out in defence. So keep Kearney to teach Keenan and acclerate him to be the replacement FB with Larmour back to the wing.

Scrum half is where I would be signing a NIQ to back up McGrath so either keep Gibson-Park or sign a quality NIQ.
if they are going to make a signing at 9 he will have to be IQ'd.. Michael McDonald maybe.. still can't see that happening.

Outhalf is hardly a position in crisis. :lol:
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I was rewatching the 09 final the other day, and I was reminded of how many incredible leaders we had in that group. There were just so many men you could imagine following into battle, as the cliche goes. I don't look at the current crop and see too many of the younger lads who fall into that category.

With McFadden and Kearney moving on, the backline is very quiet - other than Sexton. I'd love to see Like McGrath grow a bit more into that role next season.

Likewise in the pack - Ryan needs to step up given that Fardy won't be around much longer. Him & McGrath are captaincy material, but I'm not sure they're quite there yet. I don't see a huge amount of leadership across the front and back row other than Ruddock.

It seems to me that we have a lot of lads that are kinda reserved in their style, compared to previous generations. So for me, I'd love to sign an older, experienced back that could shake up the backs like Thorne did for the pack. No idea who, but a Ben Smith kind of figure maybe.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

you'd wonder how much of that is the Sexton affect.

every young back in the squad will have spent their formative years watching Sexton play for Leinster and Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

meathman3 wrote:Our positions of crisis are scrum half flyhalf and FB - we have no replacements of quality for either Sexton or Kearney.

We lack depth at scrum half but that’s McCarthy’s loss. We have the age profile (and the lack of international minutes) to manage unless we get a lengthy injury.

We don’t have depth at fullback but we have decent options and Keenan is at the stage where we may as well play him and let him develop or watch his time pass. I think he has a good long term future, really like a few things about him.

Completely disagree about Ross Byrne. He’s a winner. If someone does better and passes him then good for them. He’s 10 years younger than Sexton and Carbery is injury prone. He’s not far away from starting for Ireland, and he deserves continued investment.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lancaster has said this multiple times in interviews too - how a lot of the Leinster guys are more reserved/insular and willing to take direction compared to some of the English guys he worked with.

Lowe being the exception obviously!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

both Adam Byrne and Barry Daly were due to be out of contract and had little rugby played this season, I wonder if both are certain to be here next season?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Yeah that's the thing though. We all have our idea of where we need players but that's not the question. There is no way the IRFU would allow us a NIQ in any of those positions. So where are they likely to allow us to bring someone in? Loose head maybe?

Maybe there is no answer. Maybe they've said "sorry lads no NIQ's for you guys atm. We need to keep the factory running". Might have to wait until there's an injury crisis.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:you'd wonder how much of that is the Sexton affect.

every young back in the squad will have spent their formative years watching Sexton play for Leinster and Ireland.
The Cheika effect.

Joe and Leo are quieter coaches.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

There'd be exeptions to the being reserved thing. Didn't Max Deegan post up on social media that he was coming for Heaslip's jersey when he was u19 or something?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:There'd be exeptions to the being reserved thing. Didn't Max Deegan post up on social media that he was coming for Heaslip's jersey when he was u19 or something?
Yeah due to breaking rules on ireland u18 tour and it was his team thought of punishment :lol: