Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by blockhead »

If Adam was the real deal he would have made it by now. Has all the physical attributes but maybe the top 3 inches are not so hot. Still though, we are short on wingers.
Everyone is going to have to cut their cloth to suit the new reality. Can we still afford Bomber or Dr Phil? What's going to happen to central contracts?
Thing is though, everyone is in the same boat. Wage inflation is a thing of the past for the near future.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

14 Kearney. 11 Lowe. 23 Kelleher.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Somebody should really ask is Nucifora even in the country? Or perhaps the question should be when did he last go to Australia and has he returned?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dave Cahill wrote:Should we really be talking about a 26 year old in terms of potential?
I still think Gavin Henson could potentially be the best player on the planet.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Dave Cahill wrote:Should we really be talking about a 26 year old in terms of potential?
Yeh I think so. Its make or break for him this year. He could be our rolls Royce, we just need someone to turn the key!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Byrne has shown he has more than potential. He has scored plenty of tries and had good games in Europe.

He's just inconsistent and seems unsure of himself at times, despite his physical gifts.

It would be a shame to let him go now with two outside backs retiring and some more space opening up.

If you could marry Byrne's physique with Ferg's aggression you'd have some player.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Byrne has shown he has more than potential. He has scored plenty of tries and had good games in Europe.

He's just inconsistent and seems unsure of himself at times, despite his physical gifts.

It would be a shame to let him go now with two outside backs retiring and some more space opening up.

If you could marry Byrne's physique with Ferg's aggression you'd have some player.
You'd have James Lowe!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Byrne has shown he has more than potential. He has scored plenty of tries and had good games in Europe.

You'd have James Lowe!
:-)
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

I totally agree, Byrne deserves to be kept on based on merit, not just potential. But it's frustrating as it feels like he could be our best winger if everything clicked.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:

You'd have James Lowe!
Haha true enough!

Having another one of those as an option on the right wing would be nice though!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Looks like the squad could be back doing team training by next week. No contact though.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

cormac wrote:Looks like the squad could be back doing team training by next week. No contact though.
Be interesting to see if Dan Leavy will be back training with the squad, anyone know when he’s due to be back?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

was set to return in april, so you'd expect he will be back training.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:
I still think Gavin Henson could potentially be the best player on the planet.
:clap:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Watching Connacht with severe anxiety. They’ve promoted six academy players today, four of them have never played for the province however. Think they’ll still be looking to dip in to the transfer market over the next few weeks. Here’s hoping we’re not affected.

Unrelated, but seems like Leinster academy graduates always have a bunch of games under their belt before being signed up for pro contracts.

Maybe that’s a luxury that’s uniquely ours, but I would have thought that aspiring pros would get a few minutes here and there at least before getting the full contract.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Serb wrote:Watching Connacht with severe anxiety. They’ve promoted six academy players today, four of them have never played for the province however. Think they’ll still be looking to dip in to the transfer market over the next few weeks. Here’s hoping we’re not affected.

Unrelated, but seems like Leinster academy graduates always have a bunch of games under their belt before being signed up for pro contracts.

Maybe that’s a luxury that’s uniquely ours, but I would have thought that aspiring pros would get a few minutes here and there at least before getting the full contract.
I actually think Connacht have done their best business in years. Losing Faianga was a blow but was always going to happen.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Brian Byrne's loan spell with Bristol is up. I'd assume he's coming back to Leinster?
I'm aware that Carlow is not a million miles from Limerick.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Keith wrote:I actually think Connacht have done their best business in years. Losing Faianga was a blow but was always going to happen.
Broadly, that’s possibly true, but the bit that concerns me is they haven’t replaced the back row with anyone near the level they currently require, while we’re here trying to balance Deegan, Doris, Leavy, van der Flier, Ruddock, Conan... and those are just the full Irish internationals.
Serb
Mullet

Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by Serb »

blockhead wrote:Brian Byrne's loan spell with Bristol is up. I'd assume he's coming back to Leinster?
Was interviewed on The Left Wing not too long ago — he mentioned he already knew he was being moved on as he’s out of contract, don’t believe he’s coming back to us.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

blockhead wrote:Brian Byrne's loan spell with Bristol is up. I'd assume he's coming back to Leinster?
No, Dan Sheehan has been promoted and Byrne let go.