Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Dave Cahill

Considering we'll be very lucky to see any of our internationals in blue this calendar year, I'd say that having quality players like Kearney and Tomane available is priority number one right now for Leinster
Agreed sign him up and Tomane also for another season if he's agreeable.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Dave Cahill wrote:Considering we'll be very lucky to see any of our internationals in blue this calendar year, I'd say that having quality players like Kearney and Tomane available is priority number one right now for Leinster
Agree with Tomane, disagree with Kearney. Even with the internationals being away, Kearney can’t get a look in. It’s fine right now as Leinster don’t have to pick up the tab on Kearney’s salary (as an aside, how ridiculous is it that he got a central contract this season?).

I think his salary expectations would be far to high to justify keeping him on. We have Keenan, Jimmy O’Brien, maybe Frawley or Dave Kearney to cover 15 if absolutely required. I think his time is up personally.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Serb » April 11th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Agree with Tomane, disagree with Kearney. Even with the internationals being away, Kearney can’t get a look in. It’s fine right now as Leinster don’t have to pick up the tab on Kearney’s salary (as an aside, how ridiculous is it that he got a central contract this season?).

I think his salary expectations would be far to high to justify keeping him on. We have Keenan, Jimmy O’Brien, maybe Frawley or Dave Kearney to cover 15 if absolutely required. I think his time is up personally.
It probably comes down to those intangibles that people talk about. Is it worth keeping a locker room leader like Kearney for another season to help the young lads or is it time to move on
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Serb wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Considering we'll be very lucky to see any of our internationals in blue this calendar year, I'd say that having quality players like Kearney and Tomane available is priority number one right now for Leinster

I'm pretty sure I read that he's on a Leinster contract this season. One that isn't particularly generous. If he's minded to stay on, I reckon he has another season in him.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

deco wrote:
Serb wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read that he's on a Leinster contract this season. One that isn't particularly generous. If he's minded to stay on, I reckon he has another season in him.
The IRFU announced his contact extension, not Leinster, I’d assume that means it’s still a central contract: https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/05/28/ir ... 20-season/
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In a normal year I’d have both.

If the IRFU are badly stuck for cash then we will lose them and more.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ronk wrote:In a normal year I’d have both.

To where, though? Every rugby entity is suffering from this and most are suffering even more badly. I cant see there being many generous contracts up for grabs in 2021
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Injury update......

Barring slipping in the shower or dropping weight plates on their feet all our players should be fully fit the next time Leinster play a game of rugby.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Can we take it then that Garry Ringrose and Cian Healy wouldnt have been fit to play Saracens? Or are they maybe just taking advantage of the lay off to recover fully?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote:
ronk wrote:In a normal year I’d have both.

To where, though? Every rugby entity is suffering from this and most are suffering even more badly. I cant see there being many generous contracts up for grabs in 2021
Released. If the IRFU come to Leinster and tell us to cut expenses by €1, oh and don't affect the Irish squad then there are only so many ways to do that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Thornley suggesting McFadden will be finishing up this season also, or at least was due to.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:Thornley suggesting McFadden will be finishing up this season also, or at least was due to.
He said he was out of contract, didn't see where he suggested he'd be finishing up?
That said if the 2019-20 season does not resume, and certainly not before the end of June, then Rob Kearney and Fergus McFadden will be out of contract.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

:!:
johng wrote:Injury update......

Barring slipping in the shower or dropping weight plates on their feet all our players should be fully fit the next time Leinster play a game of rugby.
Even the pie eaters?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Would you settle for "uninjured"? :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

johng wrote:Would you settle for "uninjured"? :D
On the nail!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Would David Hawkshaw be mentioned in injury updates?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

'Cullen confirms Leinster haven't made any new signings for next season'

https://www.the42.ie/leo-cullen-leinste ... =shortlink

Probably as expected, and particularly given current climate.

Also said:
'A lot of younger players will get promoted from the academy and, as is the case every year, there are going to be a few players who retire at the end of the season.'
Question marks over Tomane, MCF, Fardy, RK.

Albeit Fardy's contract extension was heavily mooted wasn't it?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Let it not be forgotten how good we were this season!!! :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2WHBV ... 09987&jb=2
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on April 21st, 2020, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes. It's great to remember that. There is an awful noise behind it though. Don't know what it is or who caused it.